Rms Queen mary

nicolas75

Hi

Just a few words to say how sometime there is chance of things saved from our destruction society

I'm telling myself among all former transport troops (and famous ships) use during ww2 only one have been preserved : the RMS Queen mary

The USS Wakefield (the SS Manhattan), the USS West point (The SS America), the RMS Queen Elizabeth

All had a fate disregarding their history. I know keeping it is costly but the Queen mary is a sign it can be done !

Even if the Queen mary is now far from its former troop transport job, it's anyway a good thing that it's (for the moment) safe

I hope one day i'll be able to enter this magic ship

Thanks

We stayed on the Queen Mary a few years ago: a great experience.

And, having been a yacht salesman and knowing well the issues with keeping boats in salt water, I am amazed the Queen Mary has been kept afloat for so long.

The Wife and I went aboard when she first opened up for tours back in '75. They had a section set up as troop berthing. Also there were very few in the tour, so we got to see more and hear more. They had a car that belonged to the quen on the fore deck and told a story about how the queen would give rides to Soldiers. The guys would tell their buddies how the Queen of England gave them a lift, and no one would believe them so the Queen started giving out special coins to the soldiers (Chalange Coins) so they could prove they got a ride from the Queen. One of the people in the tour had been a Soldier in England during the war, and verified the story by holding up his coin. The tour guide had never seen one before. The old Soldier said he carried the coin ever since. He said he was an Infantryman and landed at Normendy on the first day and fought all the way across France without a scratch, so he thought the coin lucky.

Steve Hesson

• 2 weeks later...
El Bibliotecario
...I'm telling myself among all former transport troops (and famous ships) use during ww2 only one have been preserved ...

This statement got me wondering. After a cursory search of Wikipedia, I found that two of the WW2 transports used in the '50s and '60s to haul US troops to Germany are still in reserve, or some such--the PATCH and the BUCKNER. This is assuming the Wikipedia information is correct, which isn't aways the case. And sitting ina river somewhere isnt exactly the same as preserved. Three others are listed as having been scrapped, and I wouldnt be surprised if this has already happened to the PATCH and the BUCKNER.

Of course these weren't famous ships, and certainly arent comparable to the QM.