SR. BALLOON PILOT BOUGHT 2-25-11 @ SHOW OF SHOWS - Former Duncan Campbell collection

armillary_journey

armillary_journey

OK WING COLLECTORS. AFTER 5 HOURS OF SHOPPING AT SHOW OF SHOWS TODAY IN LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

I BOUGHT THE BALLOON SENIOR PILOT FROM J. DUNCAN CAMPBELLS COLLECTION. THE ONLY WING I BOUGHT

TODAY. IT WAS SOLD TO A VERY AVID COLLECTOR AT THE J. DUNCAN CAMPBELL AUCTION, AND IT GOT SOLD TODAY

AGAIN, TO ME. :D ALTHOUGH BROKE, I DROVE HOME VERY HAPPY!

ALL OBSERVATIONS WELCOME.

post-18040-1298692966.jpg

post-18040-1298692982.jpg

post-18040-1298692998.jpg

post-18040-1298693084.jpg

post-18040-1298693098.jpg

post-18040-1298693118.jpg

.........................IT GOT SOLD TODAY AGAIN, TO ME. :D ALTHOUGH BROKE, I DROVE HOME VERY HAPPY!

ALL OBSERVATIONS WELCOME.

Above is my observation...............it's the ONE that REALLY COUNTS!! :thumbsup:

I'm happy for you!

:wink2:

All of us are glad for you.

See #83 on page 26 of AVIATION BADGES AND INSIGNIA of the UNITED STATES ARMY 1913-1945 by J. Duncan Campbell. That badge is said to have been worn by Colonel Ira R. Koenig,

For the added sake of history, it came from lot #3673 of The J. Duncan Campbell Collection sold on June 2, 2009 at Bonhams & Butterfield.

Cliff

post-4542-1298723049.jpg

armillary_journey
:wink2:

All of us are glad for you.

See #83 on page 26 of AVIATION BADGES AND INSIGNIA of the UNITED STATES ARMY 1913-1945 by J. Duncan Campbell. That badge is said to have been worn by Colonel Ira R. Koenig,

For the added sake of history, it came from lot #3673 of The J. Duncan Campbell Collection sold on June 2, 2009 at Bonhams & Butterfield.

Cliff

Absolute thanks for that info Cliff, I will print this page off and keep it for authentification of that wing.

Where did that auction take place? Do you know of any pictutes of that Colonel for sale? Thanks!

The auction of Duncan's collection took place on June 2nd, 2009 at Bonham's & Butterfields. I believe it was held at their San Francisco office. Great wing!

Absolute thanks for that info Cliff, I will print this page off and keep it for authentification of that wing.

Where did that auction take place?

Do you know of any pictutes of that Colonel for sale?

:unsure:

Jeff,

I don't know of any pictures of him for sale; however, below is a picture of him wearing a World War I balloon pilot badge plus some early bio info taken from the book, THE BALLOON SECTION of the AMERICA EXPEDITIOARY FORCES.

In addition to the picture from The Balloon Section book, I've included a photo of Colonel Koenig taken during World War II while he was wearing a unauthorized Senior Airship Pilot wing badge. Note that the Colonel is shaking the hand of an enlisted man with service stripes showing that he had served in both World War I and World War II.

Also added is a little bio info on the Colonel of my own.

KOENIG, Ira R.

Aero Club of America Spherical Balloon Pilot #80 issued 7 November 1917

World War 1 rating: Junior Military Aeronaut.

Born: 27 September 1889 in Saint Louis, MO.

Education: Washington University, Saint Louis, MO.

Enlisted 28 July 1917; Commissioned 7 November 1917;

Commander of "B" Company, 4th Balloon Squadron, AEF. .

Graduate Balloon & Airship School 1922.

Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Observers' Course 1929.

Air Corps Tactical School, 1940.

Commander 1st Balloon Squadron (1940).

Ratings: Combat Observer; Airship pilot; Senior Balloon Pilot; Balloon Observer; Senior Aerial Observer.

Service: Air Force Officer Serial Number: O-9848

Retired: 1947.

Died: 1960?

post-4542-1298737822.jpg

post-4542-1298738937.jpg

A beautiful wing. I am sure Duncan would be proud to know it has come to rest in a good home where it will be truely appreciated.

Is there no end to Cliff's knowledge? I guess I should put away my Marvel comic books and read a little more history. Thats the beauty of this forum lots of very knowledgable members that aren't afraid to share their information. Again very good buy you did good.

Terry

Armillary,

Your new Senior Balloon Pilot makes for a beautiful addition to your growing collection. John Cooper and I were fortunate enough to closely admire this wing at the Bonham's & Butterfields Auction when Duncan's wonderful collection was liquidated two years ago. Alone, it's a beautiful wing...but combined with the information Cliff is sharing, it's a FANTASTIC wing! Congratuations.

Russ

Jeff,

What else can be said... if only that wing could talk. As Russ mentioned we were both lucky to attend and it was a pleasure to be able to handle all the wings. Owning one of Mr. Campbell's wings is like the torch being passed from one generation to the next. I am sure you will take great pride and care to preserve it for the next generation.

Regards,

John

armillary_journey
Jeff,

What else can be said... if only that wing could talk. As Russ mentioned we were both lucky to attend and it was a pleasure to be able to handle all the wings. Owning one of Mr. Campbell's wings is like the torch being passed from one generation to the next. I am sure you will take great pride and care to preserve it for the next generation.

Regards,

John

Yes John, it will be preserved in a brand new 700 lb. Cannon fireproof safe, with great pride, along with the rest.

But it is my crown jewel. I struggled at the show most of the day, take home 4 or 5 good wings, or just one awe-

some wing. Being Mr. Campbell's wing was the deciding factor. And, this wing was the one I didn't have, of course.

Now on to the WW1 wings.....

Very cool...you don't hear about the balloon guys too much; the advent of the aircraft really overshadowed them a whole lot. Great find.

armillary_journey

I don't know of any pictures of him for sale; however, below is a picture of him wearing a World War I balloon pilot badge plus some early bio info taken from the book, THE BALLOON SECTION of the AMERICA EXPEDITIOARY FORCES.

In addition to the picture from The Balloon Section book, I've included a photo of Colonel Koenig taken during World War II while he was wearing a unauthorized Senior Airship Pilot wing badge. Note that the Colonel is shaking the hand of an enlisted man with service stripes showing that he had served in both World War I and World War II.

********************************************************************************

********************************************************************************

Cliff in your first line above, I have searched Amazon for America Expeditionary Forces. There are many books with that title or very near that. I want to buy the exact book you got this information from. Can you tell me who was the author please? Thanks.

J

Cliff in your first line above, I have searched Amazon for America Expeditionary Forces. There are many books with that title or very near that. I want to buy the exact book you got this information from. Can you tell me who was the author please? Thanks.

J

The correct title is, THE BALLOON SECTION of the AMERICA EXPEDITIONARY FORCES, by Ovitt & Bowers; published in 1919 with a limited run of 500 copies. None are currently listed on Amazon or AbeBooks.com. Occasionally, copies have been known to show up on eBay.

:mellow:

I notice in the picture of him above, his collar insignia seem to be upside down! Maybe he liked the way it looked that way?

Patrick

:unsure:

Jeff,

Also added is a little bio info on the Colonel of my own.

KOENIG, Ira R.

Aero Club of America Spherical Balloon Pilot #80 issued 7 November 1917

World War 1 rating: Junior Military Aeronaut.

Born: 27 September 1889 in Saint Louis, MO.

Education: Washington University, Saint Louis, MO.

Enlisted 28 July 1917; Commissioned 7 November 1917;

Commander of "B" Company, 4th Balloon Squadron, AEF. .

Graduate Balloon & Airship School 1922.

Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Observers' Course 1929.

Air Corps Tactical School, 1940.

Commander 1st Balloon Squadron (1940).

Ratings: Combat Observer; Airship pilot; Senior Balloon Pilot; Balloon Observer; Senior Aerial Observer.

Service: Air Force Officer Serial Number: O-9848

Retired: 1947.

Died: 1960?

I notice in the picture of him above, his collar insignia seem to be upside down! Maybe he liked the way it looked that way?

Patrick

Patrick,

I believe he is wearing the French mfg collar insignia which had the upturned wing tips. Attached pic of such insignia.

Terry

post-6022-1299250391.jpg

Howdy Terry,

That must be it. Just looked like it was upside down.

Patrick,

I believe he is wearing the French mfg collar insignia which had the upturned wing tips. Attached pic of such insignia.

Terry

armillary_journey
The correct title is, THE BALLOON SECTION of the AMERICA EXPEDITIONARY FORCES, by Ovitt & Bowers; published in 1919 with a limited run of 500 copies. None are currently listed on Amazon or AbeBooks.com. Occasionally, copies have been known to show up on eBay.

:mellow:

Thanks for that info Sir, the search is on......

Thanks for that info Sir, the search is on......

Found four on the Internet... but they are pricey.

Sending infor via PM.