OEF/ISAF Zippo

DSchlagan

This post got me thinking of the OperationenduringFreedom/ISawAmericansFight Zippo that my Son-in-law gave me.

He has served three combat deployments in AFG with the 10th Mountain.

I'm not certain as to where he obtained this, just thanked him much.

post-21709-1298658601.jpg

The couple of obverse photos help to illustrate the really trick paint on this. I've never seen similar on a Zippo.

Zippo lighters can be found in just about any Hajji-mart. I bought several when I was in Kosovo with the NATO symbol just outside the gate of Pristina. They have them here in Iraq at all of the Hajji shops, so I would assume, having not been to Afghanistan, it's the same there. I can also say that the PX sometimes sells these as well.

I'm glad my post got you to post some your son gave you!

Those are some cool modern Zippos. If I didn't have so much in militaria collecting, I'd probably collect Zippos...

Zippo lighters can be found in just about any Hajji-mart. ...They have them here in Iraq at all of the Hajji shops, so I would assume, having not been to Afghanistan, it's the same there.

Don't Forget:

post-21709-1298669552.jpg

Just wondrin brother, are you suggesting that these Zipppo's could have been finished "in-theatre"?

That would be interesting...

Regards,

Don

It is possible, but I doubt it. They don't have the manufacturing processes that are needed to make that kind of stuff here and especially in A-stan. But then again, I am not a Zippo expert and I do not know what Zippo allows and what they don't. Also, it is possible that they are not even real Zippo's, whomever supplies these Hajji-marts are masters of the knock-offs. They have complete lines of Fauxkly sunglasses, Breitling and Rolex watches, every movie you see in the theatres in the states arrives here almost immediately, you name it and they will knoock it off. It really kind of depends where he got them from, if they come from the PX, they were probably shipped in from the states, were made for military sales, and are most likely real Zippo's. If they come from the Hajji-mart, then their origins would be dubious.

Sorry, I don't think I really cleared anything up. Unfortunately, I have been put on continuous duty and can't get to the PX to take some pictures for you.

Yes, I know somewhat of their legendary knock-off skills. All of those Khyber Pass copies for instance.

The Zippo above does not have the feel or action of anything other than the real deal.

When you get on Stand Down would appreciate photos of what you find interesting.

Regards,

Don