Yay! Boeing wins the KC-X Contract!

Teamski

I am thrilled Boeing won the KC-X contract. It's not just because it is an American company, but also that the Airbus 330 is just too friggin' huge! I was really worried that the USAF was going to pick it. It's wingspan is only 23 feet shorter than a C-5 and that is a real pain when you are deployed with the small ramps we see overseas. The 767 is only marginally bigger, so you can fit a lot more of them on the ramps...... I wrote my congressmen about it last year.... Yay!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/24/news/econo...ndex.htm?hpt=T2

-Ski

Ski,

With my limited knowledge of aircraft, I yield to your opinions.

What I can comment on is my wholehearted agreement that the Air Force picked an American Company. :bravo:

Teamski, that was a really neat and informative graphic! thanks for posting that :thumbsup:

Terry

I can only agree that yes I'm glad Boeing won,,perhaps I'm

a little biased though because I work on the 787 program!

Teamski, that was a really neat and informative graphic! thanks for posting that :thumbsup:

Terry

Well, as a Maintenance Production Supervisor for 8 years on C-130's, C-5's and C-17s, I know that bigger is not necessarily better. I loved having C-17's on the ramp that could back-up and tuck into spots that a C-5s never could. It was a life saver while being deployed when you are flying a ton of sorties per day.

What people don't understand is that for tankers, it is not about how much fuel you can carry, but how many sorties can be flown. Limiting airframes due to lack of parking spaces kill operations. Again, compare the C-17 with the C-5. The C-5 is great for outsized carge, but not every base needs 36 palet positions of cargo. Besides, there are only so many places the larger planes can land at. This is why the KC-10 was given a limited production run. I always hated getting one of those in as they took up way too much space. If it broke, you are in a world of hurt when you can't get the next plane into its spot..... :ermm:

-Ski

You said it Ski! After working 135's for 14 years many of us agreed we didn't want a "scarebus" being our next tanker. Too many "high tech" things to go wrong.

Scott

im all in favor of people in the front lines getting what they want rather than what people behind desks thousands of miles away think is best.

I too am glad that Boeing got the contract, but the entire process has a certain unpleasant odor to it what with all the contract awards, cancellations, changes, people going to jail, etc.

As long as the aircraft does the job, that's all that matters in the end.

Bonjour

Oui, but unlike Boeing, Airbus flies drapeau-fr.gif

solcarlus.

Well not really and after working on both I like Boeing a LOT better!

Scott