29th division 175th vet group

stonewaller

Hi all. This is my second post, im more of a lurker ya see. Ive recently started collecting 29th division items and up till today, that only consisted of one origional 116th DUI and a patch. Today i got in the post a 175th veterans estate with some strange and some interesting items.

Using google, i found the chap who this bellonged to was Pvt. Paul Albert Stonestreet, Co. G, 175th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Infantry Division. I wish i could find more information or a picture of the guy. Ive tried emailing relatives, but to no avail.DSC00162.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

Unfortunately all I can identify is a Tag, and Patch, purple heart ribbons, service stripes, european campain with arrowhead and stars, ruptured duck patch, religious pendants and CIB.

What i want to know more about are the good conduct and purple heart enamel pins what are they from? same goes for the miniature ruptured duck.

What is the star in red rectangle with crossed rifles?

what is the small screwback 3 stars and stripes crest?

United states forces in England? is this a common item?

Lastly, what on earth is the bracelett with swasticas and other nations flags on it? souvenir?

Hope you guys can help, sorry for the long ill educated post!

Simon from the UK

Hi Stonewaller,

The bracelet looks like it may be a sweetheart piece.

The device witht he star within a rectangle is a homefront piece, indicating one son in the service.

I will let others jump on....but I gave you a start...

Chris

Nice Group!

The Honorable Discharge insignia (aka "ruptured duck") and the miniature enamel ribbon buttons are for wear on your civilian suit lapel, after you get out of service.

The "What is the star in red rectangle with crossed rifles?", is commonly called a "Sweet heart pin" representing a loved one in service. There were window banners of the same design. Your example appears to be a WW I vintage, no doubt, used in WW II. Jewelers had left over stock from the First World war they sold during WW II. Yours represents a soldier in the Infantry, as I'm sure you know. The flag bracelet probably dates to the late '30's pre-war days.

"what is the small screw back 3 stars and stripes crest?" Looks like a patriotic pin or maybe a fraternal organization lapel pin.

BKW

Many thanks for your help guys! Im over the moon with it. Can anyone recomend a type of display case i can put it in. Ideally id love a photo of Pvt Stonestreet to go with it all, i have no idea where id find one though.

Anyone recomend a display case of sorts?

The riker mounts are very popular with collectors and they aren't very expensive either. There are several nice examples posted on here using riker mounts. They work great for small displays and are easily changed if you pick up additional items or information to go with your grouping.

Laury