WW2 paint on EA-6B and EA-18G

Steindaddie

2011 marks the centennial of naval aviation and VAQ-129 on NAS Whidbey Island is celebrating in high style. The EA-18 sports the three tone paint found on navy planes during the mid part of the war, and the EA-6 is carries early war markings. I love the old side numbers "129-AQ-11" The EA-6 also totes the name of a local hero, Harry Ferrier. He was a young crewman aboard one of the TBF Avengers of Torpedo 8 at the Battle of Midway where his plane was the only one to return. The EA-6 bears his name and autograph. Harry is a docent at a museum where I work and it is an honor to hear his tales of Midway and later service on Guadalcanal.

~Will

PS: These planes are flying in these special markings now and will do the airshow circuit as the naval aviation celebrates it's 100 birthday. Read more here~~>NAVY'S 100th

post-1949-1298355384.jpg

post-1949-1298355400.jpg

Cobrahistorian

The Navy and Marine Corps have gone all-out this year. There are some phenomenal paint schemes that run the gamut of those 100 years of Naval Aviation. I've seen some phenomenal SH-60, F/A-18 and T-45 schemes so far.

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. What is the current status of the EA-18s and are they the eventual replacement for the EA-6Bs? This is the first picture I have seen of the EA-18, are these currently assigned to the CVWs??

Cobrahistorian
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing. What is the current status of the EA-18s and are they the eventual replacement for the EA-6Bs? This is the first picture I have seen of the EA-18, are these currently assigned to the CVWs??

The EA-18G is the EA-6B replacement and it is just getting fielded operationally. I think the first squadron has deployed, but I'm not 100% on that. It is an impressive airplane though!

Jon