"Been there" B3 shearling flight jacket.

Sabrejet

This B3 might be a little "beat up", but nevertheless I like it... a lot! If only it could talk I'm sure it would have an interesting tale to tell. The jacket bears a '43 contract number and was made by Aero Leathers. Overall, it's in quite sound shape though a closer inspection reveals some "battle scars". Shearling isn't terribly robust. It's certainly soft and comfortable to wear but, within the confines of a WW2 bomber fuselage with all of its internal metal projections, it was prone to tearing. Consequently, as can be seen in the accompanying pics, there are a number of period-applied leather patches which cover various tears. Another significant repair concerns the zipper. It's an English-made "Dot" zipper...possibly of the same type used on RAF Irvine shearling flight jackets? This zipper has evidently been on the jacket for ever! Another period addition concerns the adjustment straps. The originals have been removed from the waistband and replaced by thinner, riveted ones on each side. I'll let the pics do the talking!

post-8022-1298304616.jpg post-8022-1298304630.jpg

BTW...it was very remiss of me not to mention that this B3 was acquired from my good friend Ken..aka General Apathy..many moons ago and back in the good ol' days when he traded as Norman D. Landing. Thanks Ken!!

Ian :thumbsup:

A large leather patch on the left sleeve, professionally done! There were large leather patches added to the back of each sleeve during the manufacturing process. This is in addition to those. Must've been a substantial tear?

post-8022-1298325665.jpg

General Apathy
BTW...it was very remiss of me not to mention that this B3 was acquired from my good friend Ken..aka General Apathy..many moons ago and back in the good ol' days when he traded as Norman D. Landing. Thanks Ken!!

Hi Ian, that jacket comes back to mind seeing the added waist straps where the originals would have been, it was well repaired ( a nice been there and done that appearence) and still a nice supple jacket. :thumbsup:

I'm pleased you still have it. ;)

ken

Sabre

Thats a sweet B3.The addition of the British made zipper is a super detail.The patches and repairs give testament to it service and history.

I have an Irvin and someone put in a plastic zipper years ago.

Thanks for posting

RD

Sabre

Thats a sweet B3.The addition of the British made zipper is a super detail.The patches and repairs give testament to it service and history.

I have an Irvin and someone put in a plastic zipper years ago.

Thanks for posting

Thanks Ron. A plastic zipper you say?! Sacrilege!! Here in the UK, Eastman Leather offer a repair and re-furbishment service for damaged vintage flight jackets. They only use appropriate parts and materials. I once had the worn knitwear replaced on an otherwise excellent G1...undetectable!

http://www.eastmanleather.com/

Very nice jacket to go with the cap you posted the other day. You must have a first class collection!

Steve

Thanks Steve. B3s are hard to come by these days..in any condition...so I'm pleased to have had this one in the collection for some time now.

Ian

Hi Ian, that jacket comes back to mind seeing the added waist straps where the originals would have been, it was well repaired ( a nice been there and done that appearence) and still a nice supple jacket. :thumbsup:

I'm pleased you still have it. ;)

ken

Thanks Ken. Yes...as you say, it's still supple, though the outer skin has the characteristic "crustiness" that such shearling tends to develop over the years.