USS FRANKLIN Survivors group

KASTAUFFER

• 2 years later...

Awesome group. I have the uniform of Navy Cross winner Greene from the Franklin. When I do displays with photos I found on the net of the Franklin getting hit, people are awestruck by the damage. One of my prize uniforms.

Last summer I was a t a farmers market with a "Navy" t-shirt on. One of the vendors (localy made wine), mentioned that her father had been a Chief in the Navy and had been on the Franklin. She seemed surprised that I knew about the ship. He was not a Chief at the time, (he went on the serv 20 years and retire), and seldom spoke about what happened other than how proud he was that they got her all the way home. He said they felt like loosers as they had almost lost the ship and were feeling really low when they steamed in to NY, and could not understand why all the people on the pier were cheering them and acting like they were heros.

Different times indeed.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

I finally did get to meet the Veteran over lunch. He had a harrowing tale. He was in an anit aircraft gun tub and saw the bomb hit the deck. They lost all communications and the gun captain ordered them over the side using a hawser to get closer to the sea to drop. He floated in the sea for a few hours before he was picked up.

Mike

• 4 years later...

Back up in memory of the 75th anniversary of the attack on the USS Franklin March 19,1945.

Wow, what a story. Just incredible what these people did. I had never heard about the actions of the captain - can't quite tell what was going on there. Don't want to make a snap decision without knowing the facts but sounds a (big) bit sleazy.