USMC Camo & The Flying Nun

Bob Hudson

The whole family has head colds so we are just being couch potatoes and watching mindless TV. Well the 60's show The Flying Nun came on and it was an espisode about one of the show's regulars going on Marine Reserve duty.

This was the 60's when when WWII surplus was dirt cheap so the show's costumers turned to the cheapest thing they could find to outfit the couple dozen Marines in the show:

nuncamo1.jpg

nuncamo2.jpg

So how much would it cost to outfit them like that today?

Keep in mind: those most certainly are not reproductions.

By the way, for anyone who wants to take screen shots from TV: we have one of those cable boxes that let's you pause and rewind (like a TIVO) so I just paused the show and took photos of the screen with my iPhone. I then cropped them and shrank them to 620 pixels wide.

combat-helmets
That stealth flying headgear for nuns is toug to find these days, also.

first of all, I pity you for having to watch tbe flying nun. You can lie Land say your wife made you watch it! Lol!!

Well, I see 1st pattern covers and P42 cammo utilities.. That a few thousand in gear right there!

Intersting post!!

Oh man!!....thats some sweet camo!....whats with the blue armband!?.....mike

They were doing war games and on one helmet you can also see a blue patch on the front.

The Flying Nun ended up providing some valuable aerial recon.

They used a lot of stock footage of Marine landing craft approaching the beach and what looked Marine artillery units in Vietnam (the show was on 1967-70).

Cool!...i remember an old episode of Gomer Pyle where i think they were on an excersise and were wearing camo helmet covers and i think they blew up a shack or something and of course it made Sgt carter mad!

You took those photos off of a TV with an iPhone? They are not half bad considering the resolution of both the TV and the camera.

You took those photos off of a TV with an iPhone? They are not half bad considering the resolution of both the TV and the camera.

The camera is 5 megapixels, which is a lot higher than the camera I use in my studio for web product photography. I also used the HDR High Dynamic Range option which compensates for the limited dynamic range of most digital imaging sensors. I used to shoot video and still photography professionally since the 1970's and I love the iPhone 4 camera for stills and video. I do have to say that I ws shocked at how the TV screen shots came out, having shot them with all sorts of other digital cameras over the last 15 years or so.

Yes very impressive pics!....i just watched a few Gomer Pyle episodes on youtube, they used a combo of mostly WWII camo covers and shelterhalves and some Mitchell covers too!.....mike

The Flying Nun? :huh:

You're kidding right?

....They made a show...called The Flying nun? :blink:

Well radio had the Singing Nun in those days, so TV needed their own nun:

The Flying Nun is an American sitcom produced by Screen Gems for ABC based on the 1965 book The Fifteenth Pelican, by Tere Rios, which starred Sally Field as Sister Bertrille. The sitcom ran for three seasons, and produced 82 color episodes from September 7, 1967, to September 18, 1970, on ABC.

Developed by Bernard Slade, the series centered on the adventures of a community of nuns in the Convent San Tanco in Puerto Rico. The comic elements of the storyline were provided by the flying ability of a novice nun, Sister Bertrille, played by Sally Field in her second sitcom role after Gidget.

In the series pilot, Sister Bertrille, a native of Chicago, arrived from New York City after having been arrested for being involved in a protest. It was also later learned in the episode "My Sister, the Sister" that Sister Bertrille had come from a family of doctors and is the only one who did not follow in their footsteps. Also, it was revealed in the same episode that her real name was Elsie Ethrington.

She could be relied upon to solve any problem that came her way by her ability to catch a passing breeze and fly (attributed to her small stature and heavily starched cornette, the headgear for her habit). Her flying talents caused as many problems as they solved. She once explained her ability to fly by stating, "When lift plus thrust is greater than load plus drag, anything can fly." The reason behind that statement was that Sister Bertrille weighed only 90 pounds, and in one episode tried to gain more weight so she could stay grounded, but those attempts proved to be a failure.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flying_Nun

first of all, I pity you for having to watch tbe flying nun. You can lie Land say your wife made you watch it! Lol!!

Well, I see 1st pattern covers and P42 cammo utilities.. That a few thousand in gear right there!

Intersting post!!

??? I didn't say I watched it!

I was talking to the mod ;)

Having been a Sally Fields groupy since Gidget, I was the one who turned it on. :) Heck I flip through the channels looking for Boniva commercials....

And when you combine Sally Fields with camo, well it kinda makes a feller weak in the knees and all.