Rations Packaging

jumpwings

Problem I am trying to sort is the packaging for actual use as opposed to display only...

Designing and producing boxes and packets for living history displays is ok, as they're non edible, but for edible, repackaging foods stuffs means physically handling the food itself, and the problem of contamination ....

My question for you guys is this, would you feel it acceptable for modern packaging items included in say, a K or a C ration?... Items like the coffee part, obviously placing inside a sachet of commercial coffee would have modern markings and would take away the visual ambience, whilst promoting some form of actual experience of preparing the ration "as it was done"... In other words, you take out the modern sachet of coffee from a authentic box or can and make brew up....

Or, something I have seen is a modern sachet of coffee with a labelled outer glued on as an authntic covering...

Your thoughts, if any...

Future Radio Tech

Ive been wondering the same thing about coffee packages definitely fill me in on any tips :thumbsup: But I already know how to make edible D-Rations in period correct wrapping and Ive already made a few can labels Ill try to upload the pictures later ;) Hopefully that will help you some but as for the coffee topic Im stumped :blink: But definitely excited to hear what you have to say

Ive been wondering the same thing about coffee packages definitely fill me in on any tips :thumbsup: But I already know how to make edible D-Rations in period correct wrapping and Ive already made a few can labels Ill try to upload the pictures later ;) Hopefully that will help you some but as for the coffee topic Im stumped :blink: But definitely excited to hear what you have to say

Been talking to a chef, and who's obviously got his health certificates, and he reckons that if it's biscuits and coffee (for example) I have no real problems, the probelms come when it's fresh foodstuffs like meats...

I think I now what I'll do, re-package in heat sealed or other wise cellophane, I know the boiullon and lemon juice/powder was wrapped in that...

surplus sammy

jumpwings is right, the non processed "wet" food will be the biggest hassle.

All your dry foods that you would take out of a commercial packet are fine to rewrap.

The age old problem is tinned goods, you cant open a purchased can and put the contents

into a flat sided tin and reseal it, you risk giving yourself food poisoning.

Having a straight modern packet come out of a K ration box defeats the whole purpose.

So rewrapping them is the answer as stated.

Making a period packet or wrapper is easy, all you need is you computer, printer and the paper.

A glue stick, scissors and your contents and your into it.

Basic food bags for coffee, sugar etc are the easiest.

I suggest foil lining some bags as your contents will bleed out the paper, plus it stays fresher longer

if you are going to do a heap and not use them for a while.

Thats just as easy with some alfoil and a can of spray glue.

Some I do

ww2uscoffee.jpg

ww2usorange.jpg

knackebrot.jpg

w%20sugar.jpg

aurice.jpg

This is one foil lined as rice bleeds

aubrewkit.jpg

jumpwings is right, the non processed "wet" food will be the biggest hassle.

All your dry foods that you would take out of a commercial packet are fine to rewrap.

The age old problem is tinned goods, you cant open a purchased can and put the contents

into a flat sided tin and reseal it, you risk giving yourself food poisoning.

Having a straight modern packet come out of a K ration box defeats the whole purpose.

So rewrapping them is the answer as stated.

Making a period packet or wrapper is easy, all you need is you computer, printer and the paper.

A glue stick, scissors and your contents and your into it.

Basic food bags for coffee, sugar etc are the easiest.

I suggest foil lining some bags as your contents will bleed out the paper, plus it stays fresher longer

if you are going to do a heap and not use them for a while.

Thats just as easy with some alfoil and a can of spray glue.

Some I do

ww2uscoffee.jpg

ww2usorange.jpg

[

Nice one, my bro did say leave the pre cooked rice alone..

For the coffee element, it came in a foil bag (at one point in the K ration history) so I use silver paper to simulate it, other times it came in a small tin... The light brown bag came much later, after the War... the lemon came in a cellophane bag, but try as i might, the cellophane get's all shrunk and screwed up in my printer :w00t:

so, wot do ye do ay?... do the best ye can... :thumbsup: