Patch Tabs

36-tex

here is a recent addition to my collection. German made tab added to a US made cut edge SSI all on a German made MP Brassard.

post-1604-1304392946.jpg

Here are a few of my mystery tabs.

Dominican Republic. Is it a US tab? If so, which patch does it go with?

Germany tabs like the ones Tex posted earlier. I have a number of both red and blue but I have no idea which patch they go over. The white border glows on the back so I assumed they are from the 60s.

Finally a Guam tab like Tex posted. Mine came over a Army Service Forces patch but the curve never looked like a good fit to me.

Any info would be really appreciated.

Chris

post-17690-1304447375.jpg

post-17690-1304447384.jpg

post-17690-1304447393.jpg

Stuart GI
Army Band Tabs. The following band tabs are worn over the associated patches (I use the old designation for the NG patches to aleviate confusion):

23rd: Utah NG HQ

29th: Virginia NG HQ

41st: Mississippi NG HQ

73rd: Virgin Islands NG HQ

78th: 99th Regional Support Cmd

101st: Colorado NG HQ

129th: Tennessee NG HQ

191st: 63rd Regional Support Cmd

248th: Puerto Rico NG HQ

300th: 63rd Regional Support Cmd

313th: 81st Regional Support Cmd

Hope this helps!

-Ski

p.s. The photo shows the reality of the situation, unfortunately. I am doubting that the tabs were ever worn with the patches (although authorized). They may have and a search for photos may show some.....

Ski,

SSI are not authorized for wear on the Army Dress Blue uniform. They are for the Army Class 'A' green uniform, so they would have been worn together then. Maybe there is an exemption for Army Bands to wear the tab on their blues. Mike

Ski,

SSI are not authorized for wear on the Army Dress Blue uniform. They are for the Army Class 'A' green uniform, so they would have been worn together then. Maybe there is an exemption for Army Bands to wear the tab on their blues. Mike

post-3043-1304801728.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The patch tab shown by "Teamski" for the 31st Military Airlift Squadron was NOT offically worn be members of the squadron standardization. Our active duty sister squadrons, the 3rd, and the 9th Military Airlift Squadrons, had tabs. The 31st did not wear tabs! We were only activated for a couple of years and then deactivated right after the First Gulf War. The tab over the 31st patch looks like a 3rd MAS tab. Hope this helps.

The patch tab shown by "Teamski" for the 31st Military Airlift Squadron was NOT offically worn be members of the squadron standardization. Our active duty sister squadrons, the 3rd, and the 9th Military Airlift Squadrons, had tabs. The 31st did not wear tabs! We were only activated for a couple of years and then deactivated right after the First Gulf War. The tab over the 31st patch looks like a 3rd MAS tab. Hope this helps.

Hello,

I was a Crew Chief on C-5's, MC-130's and C-17s. I personally got this patch from the pilot on a C-5 I was launching while deployed to Dover from Travis in 1990 during Desert Shield. So, I am sorry to say, that yes, they did wear this tab. The tab is sewn onto the velcro with the patch. ;)

-Ski

post-3043-1307383530.jpg

Hello,

I was a Crew Chief on C-5's, MC-130's and C-17s. I personally got this patch from the pilot on a C-5 I was launching while deployed to Dover from Travis in 1990 during Desert Shield. So, I am sorry to say, that yes, they did wear this tab. The tab is sewn onto the velcro with the patch. ;)

-Ski

Here is the back of the 31st MAS patch.

-Ski

post-3043-1307399664.jpg

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, IT WAS NOT OFFICIALLY WORN. During the first Gulf War, wearing just about any patch combination was fair game. We did not order patches with the Instructor or Stand/Eval Tabs in the 31st MAS. As I also mentioned, this individual on his own, probably put a 3rd MAS Standardization Tab on the 31st Patch. Unlike the other Squadrons who ordered the patches, and at first the tabs. Hope this helps.

As I mentioned in my previous e-mail, IT WAS NOT OFFICIALLY WORN. During the first Gulf War, wearing just about any patch combination was fair game. We did not order patches with the Instructor or Stand/Eval Tabs in the 31st MAS. As I also mentioned, this individual on his own, probably put a 3rd MAS Standardization Tab on the 31st Patch. Unlike the other Squadrons who ordered the patches, and at first the tabs. Hope this helps.

I gotcha. He obviously went to life support to get the tab sewn on. The 31st had to have a Standardization and Evaluation section, right? We probably ran into each other at some point. ;)

-Ski

• 1 month later...

9th Infantry Division Combat Artist tab, 1968. These were approved for wear within the division...supposedly in the Orders of the Day according to our XO. This one is one of the first five I had made and the yellow is darker than the ones that were actually worn.

post-14358-1310824597.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this photo in a book on the C-5. I probably got my patch off of this guy....hehehehe....

-Ski

post-3043-1315868690.jpeg

post-3043-1315868694.jpg

• 1 month later...
General Apathy

post-344-1321916881.jpg

My repro 4oth Infantry Division. Robert

Hi Robert, I have a footlocker that belonged to Maj. Fred Olsen served WWII and Korea.

It contains patches, paperwork, photographs, medals large and mini, uniform, unit history book and other stuff.

Here's one of his original ' ball of fire ' tabs and patch, and one of his helmet decals. :thumbsup: ;)

ken

;)