Patch Tabs

36-tex

Yep. I have actually seen quite a few "Army Band" type tabs with no information as to who or what insignia they were worn over. Tex posted alot of others also wanting to get some info on them so I thought it was fair game to do so too :lol: . Robert

Chris Aleck's Shoulder Sleeve book has all of the band tabs with their assigned patches in it. I HIGHLY recommend you get a copy from him. PM me if you need more info on how to get the book.

-Ski

Question as to significance of color combinations used on AIRBORNE tabs.

I have one which is yellow lettering on black background.

Here in this thread we see several variations of letter coloring on background coloring.

> What, if any, significance does each color variant have?

Question as to significance of color combinations used on AIRBORNE tabs.

I have one which is yellow lettering on black background.

Here in this thread we see several variations of letter coloring on background coloring.

> What, if any, significance does each color variant have?

There really isn't any significance other than to color match with the patch.

-Ski

Not more than 25 years back, there was an Army REGULATION that prohibited all AIRBORNE tabs other than white-on-blue and gold-on-black. It went on to state, that other than a few exceptions, ie. SF, specified, the blue would be for CORPS-subordinate units and the black would be for DIVISION-subordinate.

This was when various LRSDs were wearing "funny" colors, trying to match their SSIs.

HOWEVER, this reg was apparently IGNORED from its date of promulgation. To wit, the Combat Camera Det under Sig Comd got white-on-orange made up, knowing full well that it was non-reg. Soon after, Army Spec Ops Comd got its SSI and MATCHING red-on-black tab. I heard that the LRSDs of the 4th ID and 40th IDs had MATCHING tabs as well.

Not more than 25 years back, there was an Army REGULATION that prohibited all AIRBORNE tabs other than white-on-blue and gold-on-black. It went on to state, that other than a few exceptions, ie. SF, specified, the blue would be for CORPS-subordinate units and the black would be for DIVISION-subordinate.

This was when various LRSDs were wearing "funny" colors, trying to match their SSIs.

HOWEVER, this reg was apparently IGNORED from its date of promulgation. To wit, the Combat Camera Det under Sig Comd got white-on-orange made up, knowing full well that it was non-reg. Soon after, Army Spec Ops Comd got its SSI and MATCHING red-on-black tab. I heard that the LRSDs of the 4th ID and 40th IDs had MATCHING tabs as well.

Interesting...

So, is it correct to think that there was a time when there were ONLY white on blue and gold on black?

If so, when might that time period have been?

Army Band Tabs. The following band tabs are worn over the associated patches (I use the old designation for the NG patches to aleviate confusion):

23rd: Utah NG HQ

29th: Virginia NG HQ

41st: Mississippi NG HQ

73rd: Virgin Islands NG HQ

78th: 99th Regional Support Cmd

101st: Colorado NG HQ

129th: Tennessee NG HQ

191st: 63rd Regional Support Cmd

248th: Puerto Rico NG HQ

300th: 63rd Regional Support Cmd

313th: 81st Regional Support Cmd

Hope this helps!

-Ski

p.s. The photo shows the reality of the situation, unfortunately. I am doubting that the tabs were ever worn with the patches (although authorized). They may have and a search for photos may show some.....

post-3043-1300849523.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Doughboy posted this photo of the correct use for the Military Institute patch in another thread. It was worn over the JROTC patch for units located at military institutes to differentiate them from those at regular high schools.

-Ski

post-3043-1302456608.jpg

A 2nd Army Recruiting tab was shown earlier, so here is a 5th Army one. ;)

I display this US Army Mission patch with the attached Vietnam tab. Both are made identically and seem like they were made for each other. Of course, there is no MAAG on the tab, but what other purpose would have it been made for?

-Ski

post-3043-1302895511.jpg