Patch Tabs

36-tex

Excellent contribution, the Hawaiian Cadre Taro Leaf Type with JAPAN is interesting.

Here's examples of the Hawaiian Cadre.

And one from an earlier post in this topic with a VICTORY Tab. Victory being the WWII nickname of the 24th Infantry Division.

image.png.b8bf540178e70c62b992e2024cb8c54a.png

Thank you!  And a few more on the "border" theme.  I remember seeing the subdued "BORDER" tab being worn in Germany on the OD green field caps by 2nd ACR soldiers.

Border 1.jpg

Border 2.jpg

Here are a few from my collection.  The 7th Engineer Brigade with the tab is from my pocket patch collection.  The 8th Log Command patch with the Thailand tab was found in a tool bag with a note that the patch belonged to a soldier who was with the 809th Engineer Aviation Battalion.

0003rd Eng Bn, 4-F.jpg

0007th Eng Bde, 1-F.jpg

0009th Eng Bn Cbt, SDM Plt-F.jpg

0009th Eng Bn, Pistol Team, 1-F.jpg

0043rd Eng Bn (Const)-F.jpg

0046th Eng Bn (Cbt), 1-F.jpg

0078th Eng Bn, SW Plt, 2-F.jpg

0387th Eng Bn (Sep)-F.jpg

1541st Eng Base Survey Co-F.jpg

2810th Eng Petro Depot, APG-F.jpg

D-0008th Eng Sqdn-F.jpg

E-0013th Eng Cbt Bn, 7th ID-F.jpg

E-SCARWAF, 1-4b-F.jpg

E-SCARWAF, 1-4a-F.jpg

E-SCARWAF, 3-2j-F.jpg

E-SCARWAF, 3-2i-F.jpg

G-0020th Eng Bde-J, 5-F.jpg

G-0042nd Eng Co (DT), US Army Eng Cmd-F.jpg

G-0809th Eng Bn-F.jpg

7 hours ago, Albert said:

Thank you!  And a few more on the "border" theme.  I remember seeing the subdued "BORDER" tab being worn in Germany on the OD green field caps by 2nd ACR soldiers.

Border 1.jpg

Border 2.jpg

Yes I posted a photo from an Army Periodical of the BORDER Tab being worn, Post #663  in this topic.

Here is another from my collection.  The MAAG patch is US made while the tab was made in Saigon.  This was my father's when he was stationed with MAAG Indo-China, or, the official title, Army Section 8482nd AAU MAAG (according to his transfer orders).  The tan/brown stuff is from double adhesive tape that I used to mount the patch on boards

ZZ-MAAG Indo-China-F.jpg

ZZ-MAAG Indo-China-R.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found this one, a AIRMOBILE Tab over a 1st Cav Div combat patch, coat of an MP Officer Vet then currently serving in the 33rd Infantry Division, or more likely when the division was downgrade to a separate brigade in 1968, the 33rd Infantry Brigade (Separate). We image the AIRMOBILE Tab is In Country Made. Don't know how long a tab like this was allowed to be worn for, as it is most unauthorized, thus making this coat in our estimation one worn in the late 60s.

Airmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dress-Uniform-Jacket-Vietnam.jpg.526dec047146220e8cffabb3f3b2cf4b.jpgAirmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dress-Uniform-Jacke.jpg.61d7f439e4a5dd1df9cb8260e85ae186.jpgAirmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dress-Uniform-Jacket-Vietna.jpg.533bd29f535f6604767343564db740dd.jpg

Nice custom made job, made in Chicago as we see.

Airmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dre-Uniform-Jacket-Vietnam-_57.jpg.5d4b6026ef210c3a3be8c31caac4321b.jpg

5 hours ago, patches said:

Found this one, a AIRMOBILE Tab over a 1st Cav Div combat patch, coat of an MP Officer Vet then currently serving in the 33rd Infantry Division, or more likely when the division was downgrade to a separate brigade in 1968, the 33rd Infantry Brigade (Separate). We image the AIRMOBILE Tab is In Country Made. Don't know how long a tab like this was allowed to be worn for, as it is most unauthorized, thus making this coat in our estimation one worn in the late 60s.

Airmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dress-Uniform-Jacket-Vietnam.jpg.526dec047146220e8cffabb3f3b2cf4b.jpgAirmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dress-Uniform-Jacke.jpg.61d7f439e4a5dd1df9cb8260e85ae186.jpgAirmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dress-Uniform-Jacket-Vietna.jpg.533bd29f535f6604767343564db740dd.jpg

Nice custom made job, made in Chicago as we see.

Airmobile-1st-Calvary-Majors-Dre-Uniform-Jacket-Vietnam-_57.jpg.5d4b6026ef210c3a3be8c31caac4321b.jpg

Here's a topic on Bailey's Inc, Military Tailors Chicago,a 1936 Catalog! Incredible stuff. I imagine the place went out of business in the 70s right!

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16239-1936-baileys-complete-military-equipment/

• 1 month later...

Just added this one to my collection.  Any info, even better with a photo, on what patch (SSI) it was worn on to of, and when and where it was worn, well any info at all, is appreciated;-) 

Tab Sentry Dog Handler.jpg

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Just added this one to my collection.  Any info, even better with a photo, on what patch (SSI) it was worn on to of, and when and where it was worn, well any info at all, is appreciated;-) 

Tab Sentry Dog Handler.jpg

23rd Infantry is in the 2nd Infantry Division, Co F means pre 1958, so a late-sh Korean War-immediate post Korean War worn one, interesting that individual rifle companies, at leaat in the 23rd Infantry, had a dog squad, perhaps a squad that was in the company headquarters platoon.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, patches said:

Found this one tonight, Vietnam War, wouldn't have the foggiest what it was worn for.

s-l1600.jpg

Found the link, its on Ebay right now, says it CIA,

I quote from item description..

Vietnam War US Central Intelligence Agency CIA “The Farm” tab patch. Top CIA spy candidates spend six months at the Farm the ultra secret 9000 acre military base in Virginia where they master 007 - style skills. The CIA conducted many clandestine operations in Vietnam but little is known about them. This Tab is from one of those agents. The patch was made in Vietnam during the war.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403184457451?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

On 9/26/2021 at 5:42 AM, patches said:

Found the link, its on Ebay right now, says it CIA,

I quote from item description..

Vietnam War US Central Intelligence Agency CIA “The Farm” tab patch. Top CIA spy candidates spend six months at the Farm the ultra secret 9000 acre military base in Virginia where they master 007 - style skills. The CIA conducted many clandestine operations in Vietnam but little is known about them. This Tab is from one of those agents. The patch was made in Vietnam during the war.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403184457451?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&toolid=10001

Sounds like a far-fetched connection on the part of the seller.  So I’m supposed to believe one of these “007” CIA agents on a clandestine mission in Vietnam had a custom made tab to wear on his jungle fatigues to show off the fact that he had attended training a a secret base in Virginia…. Sure, right.  

POL Fuel storage sites are also commonly referred to as “Farms” (and were so at that time as well). But that would be way less spy vs spy, James Bond, Jason Borne type cool. 

11 hours ago, vzemke said:

Sounds like a far-fetched connection on the part of the seller.  So I’m supposed to believe one of these “007” CIA agents on a clandestine mission in Vietnam had a custom made tab to wear on his jungle fatigues to show off the fact that he had attended training a a secret base in Virginia…. Sure, right.  

POL Fuel storage sites are also commonly referred to as “Farms” (and were so at that time as well). But that would be way less spy vs spy, James Bond, Jason Borne type cool. 

Yes maybe one worn over the 1st Logistical Command.