Patch Tabs

36-tex

Thank you once again patches and tredhead2 for your comments. FYI when I returned Stateside from Vietnam in 1971 I was to be assigned to the 197th Light Infantry Brigade at the Infantry School, Upon my arrival to my new assignment I was instructed that the 197th was full and I was reassigned as cadre to the 44th Company AIRBORNE SCHOOL.. When checking into my new company I was instructed by my new 1st Sgt. to go to a tailor in Columbus, GA and have all my uniforms added with the "FOLLOW ME" patch and the AIRBORNE ROCKER added above it. So a rocker is not just a bar under an E-6 and above sleeve patch.

Hope this helps.

Mikw

It would be the clincher to see the nomenclature on labels on those boxes of AIRBORNE/ARMORED "Tabs", if they say TABS or ROCKERS.

This we talking about. There hasn't been a box like that posted yet, but this gives you the idea, the nomenclature, IE description of the insignia as per QMC lingo.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171357-patches-and-their-boxes-a-reference-thread/

MECHINF-A15

Another point to consider here folks is if a term is the official version or the period "GI slang version."

Food for thought? Don't you agree?

Opinions more than welcomed.

Best,

MP

It would be the clincher to see the nomenclature on labels on those boxes of AIRBORNE/ARMORED "Tabs", if they say TABS or ROCKERS.

This we talking about. There hasn't been a box like that posted yet, but this gives you the idea, the nomenclature, IE description of the insignia as per QMC lingo.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171357-patches-and-their-boxes-a-reference-thread/

In the thread tagged above, Post #26 refers to "13th Airborne Division" and "with tabs" is crossed out.

mortaydc60

Hi Steve,

the patch in #714 was in the Trading Post along with some others regarding university training in England at I believe Oxford and Cambridge. What is the ID on the last patch shown?

Thank you tredhed2. That must be a tough patch to find?

U r welcome. Yes, all the Army "University" patches are difficult to find because most of the universities were short-lived. The universities were another way to keep occupation troops out of trouble until they went home.

The Advanced Service Rating Score (Points program) was initially a trickle and then became a flood.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Generic LRP 32e51afbdd3908d03ad25f9f3f0b4a69.jpg

It may be generic in the sense it was worn by different units, but I'm pretty sure this was worn specifically by members of Company O 75th Infantry, the LRRP unit assigned to the 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division in Vietnam. Here is a photo of the tab worn by members of the unit. I have spoken to the member who provided this picture and he confirmed these tabs were worn in 1968 when the LRRP Detachment was assigned to the brigade HHC and continued to be worn after Company O was formed and that the unit never wore the more common black and red scrolls worn by many of the 75th Infantry companies after February 1969.

post-1761-0-95694000-1500320045_thumb.jpg