Patch Tabs

36-tex

Pretty sure it's a Field Artillery battalion. A mule kicking a shell on a red shield. The soldier has it attached in the wrong orientation on his shoulder loop.

You are correct Sir, the 45th FA Bn, and as you say, pinned on wrong. There was two versions it seems, this flat sided shield with small point at bottom where the shell is not viewed, more like an exploded one right, and a scalloped one with a scroll where shell is seen. Sawicki depicts the one with the scroll and gives a 1938 date, the one without the scroll? Don't know. Curious he's an Infantryman in this unit, but as the 8th Inf Div was a training division I found branches didn't matter, many cadre just assigned willy nilly throughout the units of these division back then.

post-34986-0-06184700-1570150134.jpgpost-34986-0-89035000-1570150197.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love this topic, here are the few intresting tabs that I can share, first up a bullion 25th infantry Korea division tab (looks like the moths got to it before I could)

post-193671-0-74176600-1571112183.png

I thought the REGULAR ARMY tabs were worn by members of the Regular Army assigned to National Guard or Reserve units that had been federalized to distinguish that they were not reservists.

It's a curious one I thought too, especially as this GI is a Private, if he was say a Corporal or a Sergeant, one might conclude he was a Enlistee assigned to this division as a cadre instuctor. Since he is a Private maybe he's a Trainee who enlisted rather then being a Draftee???

Some Air Force tabs. Most were worn on the 'cowboy'/bush style hats. But the Air Commandos were worn on the sleeve.Posted Image

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Maybe German Made, from the time the 5th Inf Div was in Germany in the mid 50s??

Looks and feels theater made. If so, Japanese?83708f7b35018fa4c12f96696891b3af.jpg8f2def7cb872c9c2a9482457cef1f2a7.jpg

Maybe German Made, from the time the 5th Inf Div was in Germany in the mid 50s??

That makes more sense.

Maybe Cops, some Cop unit of some unknown Police Dept???

It’s military.They ‘special weapons’ were the tactical nuke weapons. I was wondering if a specific unit, ie: engineer or infantry div or BDE

Could be from the 50s???

This was used durn Vietnam. Not sure if it any older than that.But I know it was used durn the Vietnam war, I think as a pocket patch or worn on a flight suit.

This was used durn Vietnam. Not sure if it any older than that.But I know it was used durn the Vietnam war, I think as a pocket patch or worn on a flight suit.

Er Roger.