Patch Tabs

36-tex

258th Signal Company with 8th Army patch and a couple extra tabs.

scan0009-1.jpg

scan0012-1.jpg

scan0010-3.jpg

Vienna tab for Austrian Occupation Forces patch

scan0030-1.jpg

scan0002.jpg

2nd Bn, 111th Inf. Associators

scan0006-1.jpg

Korean Military Advisory Group (KMAG) with tab

scan0012.jpg

Fins...

One issue that continues to plague my enjoyment of patch collecting has got to be with what patch do certain tabs go with. Generally, "Airborne" tabs and others that have terms or numbers on them I can match up. However, there are always some that I have no idea where they go and with what (Are some worn by themselves?). I have never found a good reference guide that answers this question. So I am proposing we create an on-line reference covering tabs and their wear. Here are a few to get us started. Also feel free to provide photo's of tab wear.

Hi 36-tex,

Just looking at your HQ 5th Army with the AM-ARCTIC-CAN leads me to ask what units wore that tab. The 5th Army became one of the six continental Army command after World War II when it was deactivated and was headquarter at Ft. Sheridan, near Chicago, Illinois.

I first saw this tab pictured in the 1951 color supplement to the wire spiral bound edition published in 1945 or 1946 by Joel and Aranoff, New York and I believe it was captioned "American - Canadian Arctic Expedition", only the tab was shown not the matching shoulder patch. Using the 1951 date as a reference it should like a joint operation done maybe to establish NORAD (North American Air Defense Command) radar installations or bases in the Arctic Region of North America. Just a guess and a belief I had for years. It could be either an Army Engineer tab, or perhaps even one for the Air Force. If it were Air Force, it might fit the HQ USAAF shoulder patch worn into the early 1950s when the blue uniform replaced their OD one. The blue uniform I think did away with the practice of wearing a shoulder patch, much like the Marines did after World War II. I was told by an eye witness that the Marines burned all their supply of shoulder patches. What a waste. Their reason, the Marines are one unit, despite the fact that they are composed of sub-units. And maybe the esprit de corps thing didn't gain any muster with the powers that were.

Some thoughts only. Someone did a match up of tabs and patches years ago, I may have seen it in past Trading Posts. Cleaning out the basement I discovered a number of the old early Trading Posts from the early 1950s-1960s before they got the color effect and slick printed covers. They would make a nice reference to some of ASMIC's earlier discoveries. Edgar Goodman, COL Greene, Al Litmann and other early members made substantial contributions before the membership started regular feature articles. Scott Hughes would be a pretty good historical point man for that.

Tom

• 2 months later...

The Special Forces tab is actually a qualification tab like the Ranger tab and could be worn in combination with any unit patch as shown here on an old army buddy's uniform.

post-6395-1333344621.jpg

Here're some desert tabs (and also one woodland) that're currently now in my collection ;

img_1919.jpg

Some of those look in country made. Especially the SF and a couple of the Ranger and one Airborne tab.

In my opinion, they are all US made. The only one for which I've a small doubt is the full brown tab with Special Forces write in tan, that may be a foreign made tab (not sure...).

Here's a photo of my father in law's shirt from when he served as CO of a SHMA (as he calls it, more commonly known as a MASH), in Korea '64-'65, attached to the Eighth US Army, showing the wear of the Support Command tab.

post-297-1333826841.jpg

I have a great deal of interest in all periods of US involvement in Korea, and have gathered a number of neat items. Among those are additional Eighth Army SSI and Support Command tabs. It seems that all the tabs I have found or seen all appear to be theater made, and no two are precisely alike. The curve of the arc is different, the size and detail of the letters differ as well. Since my father in law wore this tab, I found it to be an interesting piece, so I snatch them up whenever I come across them at a decent price.

post-297-1333827009.jpg

I always love seeing the tabs on uniforms themselves, as it generally proves the correct usage. Below is a photo of an HBT with the 33rd Infantry Division tab.

post-297-1333827937.jpg

That tab is for the 33rd Inf REGIMEN.

The 23rd Inf Div was active in Panama 1954-1956 and the 33rd -- the old peacetime garrison inf of the CZ for many years as a non-Divl/separate unit -- was assigned to it.

• 1 month later...
Any idea what this one is worn with?

7th RECON

36-Tex showed this tab earlier in this thread. After some searching around, I think the 7th Recon tab was worn by either the 7th Reconnaissance Troop or the 7th Armored Reconnaissance Company, both which belonged to the 7th Infantry Division. Does anybody else have any other ideas?

-Ski

post-3043-1337973154.jpg

jdamaso111

the only reason i can think of a tab being sewn onto the sleeve of the ASU is that they have no enamel pin to wear on the breast pocket like the rangers, special forces and sappers do.

There really isn't any significance other than to color match with the patch.

-Ski

Here is an example of an early SF Teal matched set. looks better than the black & gold. IMHO

Picture2552.jpg

In this thread, I have only seen the Army Air Force command tabs shown with the AAF HQ patch, most are shown in post #17. I have seen other places on the web showing some of the AAF command tabs with a different AAF patch, such as one of the other round AAF command patches. Would that have not been "proper"? Would the AAF command tabs/arcs have been worn only over the AAF HQ patch?

Yes, they were only authorized with the AAF HQ patch.

-Ski

Thanks - I thought that was the case - seemed redundant to put a Training Command arc over an Air Training Command patch, or some of the other strange combinations I've seen on ebay....

Jumpin Jack
Tab from 509th PIB

I need some help regarding the WWII airborne tabs worn with the 5th Army SSI. The primary question is what is the proper progression for the tabs worn at the 5th Army Airborne Training Center? Two tabs are known to have existed 1) a variety of tabs or scholls, all theatre made, and bearing the designation "Parachute" and 2) the stand- ard "AIRBORNE" tab. Was the "Parachute" worn by any other unit besides the 509th? It is known that Gen. Clark directed that the "Parachute" tab/scroll be no longer worn, and replaced with the "AIRBORNE" tab. Am I correct in assuming that, in spite of Clark's directive, the 509th continued to wear the "Parachute"? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Jack Angolia

In my former collection I had a jump jacket identified to a Lieutenant in the 509th.

It had the 5th Army patch with "Airborne".

There was also a certificate from the Jump School with the jacket.

That's all the information I have (the jacket was sold many years ago), sorry.

Erwin

Jumpin Jack
In my former collection I had a jump jacket identified to a Lieutenant in the 509th.

It had the 5th Army patch with "Airborne".

There was also a certificate from the Jump School with the jacket.

That's all the information I have (the jacket was sold many years ago), sorry.

Erwin

Thank you Erwin,

Every bit of information helps to complete the picture. Anyone else? Jack