"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Kinda ticked. I knew we had east coast and west coast HBO, took my wife's word for it that pacific wouldn't be on around 6 here, so I didn't turn on the TV until 10 minutes ago, halfway through episode one!

It's all good, it comes on again at 8, I'll watch./record it then...

ClaptonIsGod
That was very impressive, I thought. I really look forward to the rest of the series.

I echo those sentiments. I was quite amazed.

I was somewhat disappointed with the us of 03A3's for the Marines on Guadalcanal :ermm: It's a small thing I know but after BoB I have high standards.

The first episode definitely left me wanting more! I am a little depressed that I must wait another week before the next installment - how selfish! :D

I noticed that their HBT's bore the stencilled rank insignia. Is this appropriate? I have heard opinions both ways as far as when the stencilled rank insignia was used on the P41's.

What do you think?

I just watched it with my 11-year-old son. I had him read Guadalcanal Diary yesterday and prepped him (and my wife) for the fact that young Marines have been known to cuss in moments of stress (and other times as well)). My son owns a t-shirt and pair of HBT pants used as wardrobe in the series, so between that connection, the Tregaskis book, his general exposure to militaria collecting and history and the fact that he is a mature thinker for his age, I figured we'd take a shot on watching this first episode with him and then play it by ear from there.

This is not the watered-down war of John Wayne movies where blood is chocolate sauce trickling from the corner of someone's mouth in a black-and-white movie, and the battle at Alligator Creek (called the "Ilu River" on the map in Tregaskis' Guadalcanal Diary) gives a hint of the intensity of what's to come in the next nine hours. Watching the night time battle, I could only think of what they would see the next morning on that sand bar at the river mouth, dubbed "Hell Point," and, I must say the scenes from that were intense, for sure.

I was somewhat disappointed with the us of 03A3's for the Marines on Guadalcanal :ermm: It's a small thing I know but after BoB I have high standards.

What should they have been using?

I am liking it so far ! I am not 100% familar with Early WWII USMC uniforms and equipment But i thought it was pretty accurate in my mind!

What should they have been using?

[/quote

The O3A3 came out in 1943 if I recall correctly.They would have used anearlier configuration.Older style sites,finger groove stocks etc.Not an O3 expert but they used an older model.

RD

I had the good fortune to work with the Executive Producers and the writers on Band of Brothers. Bruce McKenna did his home work on this one and the best is yet to come.

Now if I could only figure a way to get this jar on my head... :)

Just wrapped up my DVR of it, had the foresight to put the "making of" on the same disk from last week.

Impressive, but right away, you don't identify with these guys like you did in BoB. In that series, by the time they went into action, you could identify with the characters. Not so in this series. hat will come, but generally, it'd harder for the average viewer to connect with them...

I always thought the 03A3 began production very late in 41/early 42.

I like it so far! I love the fact that there is such as humanistic feeling in this series. Not to say that BoB didn't, but it just feels different. However, I felt, at the end, it ended somewhat abruptly. Maybe it was on purpose... so we would crave more of "The Pacific."

I like it so far! I love the fact that there is such as humanistic feeling in this series. Not to say that BoB didn't, but it just feels different. However, I felt, at the end, it ended somewhat abruptly. Maybe it was on purpose... so we would crave more of "The Pacific."

In one of the preview pieces (available on HBO On Demand) one of the producers or directors said this was looked at as one 10-hour movie, so each episode is likely not going to have a tidy ending that brings closure to the episode.

I need to get HBO.... :crying: .....mike

I thought about getting HBO for a couple of months during the series; but, then, I decided to just wait, buy the DVD set and have a marathon weekend of The Pacific. Like FS says, it's really more like a 10-hr movie; so, no closure at the end of each show.

Got da Penny

Did you guys notice after the battle, a few of the soldiers had that ---- "Thousand-yard stare".

(( The thousand-yard stare or two-thousand-yard stare is a phrase originally coined to describe the limp, unfocused gaze of a battle-weary soldier. ))

Very Powerful, I looked up at the GF and said "What, It's been an hour already" ??

Championhilz
I just watched it online on one of those sites that record a TV show and put it up and it was really good.

Do you have a link to the site where you watched it?

Thanks

Very Powerful, I looked up at the GF and said "What, It's been an hour already" ??

I had the same thought myself, the time flew by even though there were only brief snippets of "action". After watching the first episode, I'll definitely be back for episode 2. I liked the fact that they covered how the Marines felt when the Navy pulled out after the first night battle in the straits...