"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

i dont get it - is your mate saying that the 1st marine div was not operational during this time period? :huh:

Oh no. what he's saying is..... the Zippo lighter used is a 1941 replica, it was released in 2007. The shape of the lighter,and the hinge is the same from 1941.

But because the inner is a modern one, he then thought it was not a "real" 1941 Zippo. So he took the shots of the base which shows the date code 2007.

Meaning its a 1941 replica model.

The good thing is that they did go to alot of trouble to get a 1941 Zippo to look like its from the wartime era.

bratwurstdimsum

ha ha...this is the epitomy of the kind of people Dale Dye talks about in his intro to my book:

We understand from long and sometimes painful experience that what goes on in the background of military movies or TV programs can very often make or break the entire production. Our audiences – those loyal fans with fingers tensed over the Pause button on their TV remotes – pay strict attention to what the people in the background are doing in productions such as “Band of Brothers” or “The Pacific.”

ha ha...this is the epitomy of the kind of people Dale Dye talks about in his intro to my book:

I can write alot here on the forums about wartime Zippo lighters,but i feel its not a main subject which many would be interested in.

A few members on this forum are only interested in one item of which they hold alot of interest and collect. Im one of them.

Those loyal fans with fingers tensed over the pause button, do it to,get information on that subject,and to share if they think its of interest to others who enjoy the same.

I hope this is the case here. Im pleased you have enjoyed the information i have put here.

I welcome the fact you have mentioned your book,andi look forward to tracking it down if you give me a few more clues

Zippo Grunt B)

The guy on the left is the same red headed kid from jurassic park. I couldn't get the fact that that was that same whiny kid out of my head the whole series. It was frustrating.
Oh my GOD, all the time I was thinking I knew this guy from somewhere and I just now realized where after reading this! I’m usually really good at recalling people in movies I’ve seen before but this guy had me stumped! :think:

Band of Brothers was way better than The Pacific. The acting, story line, everything in Band of Brothers was better.

It's strange,When Snafu and Sledge parted ways at the last,I was really 'down' . Like friends that I would never see again. BOB didn't come any where near

makin me feel like that.

Like when Sledge read the letter where his dog died and Snafu went over to comfort him. I didn't encounter moments like that in BOB. I'm not saying BOB was bad,

nothing of the sort. The series was fantastic. These were different series,done in different ways. I was just affected more emotionally with The Pacific.

bratwurstdimsum
Band of Brothers was way better than The Pacific. The acting, story line, everything in Band of Brothers was better.

That'd be like comparing a WW2 movie with a WW1 movie, they were poles apart in everything. I love them both equally, except for the stupid sex scenes which seemed totally out of context (even though they were commonplace) of the show

It's strange,When Snafu and Sledge parted ways at the last,I was really 'down' . Like friends that I would never see again. BOB didn't come any where near

makin me feel like that.

Like when Sledge read the letter where his dog died and Snafu went over to comfort him. I didn't encounter moments like that in BOB. I'm not saying BOB was bad,

nothing of the sort. The series was fantastic. These were different series,done in different ways. I was just affected more emotionally with The Pacific.

I agree. Comparing the two series is like comparing apples to oranges. One followed a group of men from basic thru the end of the war. The other followed a few men in a few campaigns. I have to say that the more times I watch The Pacific the more I like it. People have to remember that we have watched BOB so much that we know the lines before they are said. I think that the same will be said for The Pacific.

bratwurstdimsum

Is this any good, the description said:

A RARE 1942 GUADALCANAL 1ST MARINES ZIPPO

THE HINDGE HAS BEEN REPAIRED AT SOME POINT WITH A NEW INSIDE CASE TOO. IT IS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN BLACK CRACKLE BEFORE IT WAS REMOVED AND THE GUADALCANAL BADGE ADDED.

post-12994-1282276107.jpg

Niiice ... I heard from a mate of mine in the Army Reserves that they were seeking reservists with an Asian background. I went for audition myself later with a causasian mate of mine, but even though I was received enthusiastically I never got the call (having been either too fat or too tall for a war-ravaged Okinawan!). My mate on the other hand appears very briefly through the window of the newspaper editor's office in the very last episode ...

I'd be very interested in obtaining your book too ...

That would be me. lol

3 days work for about 5 seconds of screen time.

Damn the post production editor, they could have given me much more screen time :w00t: We filmed for hours and hours.

Late to the party on this one. My wife recorded all episodes last week and I spent a marathon day Sat. and watched them. Then went through the posts here. My .02, the series was good, but lacking in areas. I am not a "button counter", so I enjoyed it for what it was.

Was it on the level as BoB, I don't feel it was. It just did not grab me the same as BoB did. But what it did do was make me realize that I am missing a whole different part of the war. It made me want to go out and search for some books on the Marines and their time in the PTO. It has started a fire in me far away from the ETO, both in the learning and collecting aspect.

Sidenote....Before I watched the series my wife went and bought me Ambrose's The Pacific and I'm Staying with My Boys-The Heroic Life of Sgt. john Basilone, USMC....I think I will go and give her a big thank you! :hug:

Troy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also liked BoB better but I just can’t help but wonder if we’ve been spoon-fed the ETO for so long now, we naturally gravitate toward that theater in film than the PTO, regardless of how well it’s done. I really feel we as a culture just can’t “relate” to the PTO as it’s so alien an experience than the ETO. How many people do you know who have gone west of the US west coast? Compare that with those you know who have gone east of the Atlantic coast.

Personally, I know I don’t relate as well to the PTO as I do to the ETO (even though my uncles who were in WW2 all fought the Japanese) and I can’t help but wonder if this is the primary reason I liked BoB more. I know my wife has gotten this for my upcoming birthday and while I did record it on my DVR from HBO, I’ll likely watch the series enough to justify her purchase for me.

Early November is the UK release date.

Have seen it yet, so looking forward to it.

marc

Recieved my copy from Amazon earlier this week. Comes in a presentation tin!

Sabrejet

sharpsshooter
Recieved my copy from Amazon earlier this week. Comes in a presentation tin!

Sabrejet

I preordered mine thru AMAZON.COM months ago. I was just billed $51.99 ( WITH FREE SHIPPING ? ) I cancelled the order and went to WALMART and got it for $47.66 IN THE SAME TIN CASE.

Ordered my copy of the Pacific pre-order from Amazon too. But when it was shipped I was only billed at $42.99....and no tax and free shipping. Not bad.

Personally, I was disappointed with this series overall. I think the biggest mistake was not introducing the men and building a relationship to them with the audiance. Most battle scenes were pretty well done I thought but it left me wanting more!

Most battle scenes were pretty well done I thought but it left me wanting more!

Just watched the first 2 episodes on blu ray, so far so damn good!

marc

We picked it up at Best Buy last Friday, on sale for $42.99. I think their price on it is now is either $52 or $54.

I also liked BoB better but I just can’t help but wonder if we’ve been spoon-fed the ETO for so long now, we naturally gravitate toward that theater in film than the PTO, regardless of how well it’s done. I really feel we as a culture just can’t “relate” to the PTO as it’s so alien an experience than the ETO. How many people do you know who have gone west of the US west coast? Compare that with those you know who have gone east of the Atlantic coast.

I think you have a very valid point here. Particularly with reenactors, I think "ETO 44" and "D Day" have been at the forefront for so long, many don't have much interest or knowledge about the PTO, and have a tough time relating. It *was* a completely different war.

ww2reproductions

I got my Pacific tin set an week ago and still not opened the tin.

However I am the first to have a hardcover of Jeff Ooi's book...there was only 10 done in hardcover....

5 went to his family so thats means there are only 4 left...from the first printing.

My big gripe was the k ration box (late war) in Guadalcannal in 1942 and the incorect M1903 springfields (as spoted by Mr-X)

Leo