"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Second all that ski said about the sneak peek at Pendleton, it will leave you wanting more. If you got 1st MARDIV stuff or Marine gear watch out for the inevitable craze when everyone and their mom wants a piece. Dale Dye and his USMC crew were a pleasure to meet, stuck around to the last people, and shared some great stories about filming in Australia.

DSC07973a.jpg

As we wait the final days for "the Pacific" I want to throw some info out there.

As we know the series follows a group of marines through the island hopping

campaign. Two of them, Eugene Sledge and Sid Phillips, were best friends from

Mobile, AL.

Phillips is still with us and is a great gent. He was also featured some years

ago in Ken Burns' "The War". I can't wait.....

Wonder if they ever threw a few back at the Flora-Bama !?! :thumbsup:

Vic

WOW! Never heard anyone use the words "VERY gracious" about Capt Dale Dye. he wasn't very gracious when he was forced to retract his claim of being a battlefield commisioned officer (very few Marine Public Relation Officer's were ya' know).

It must have been becasue he knew all you guys could rip him into little peices with a plastic spoon or or something.

Can't wait for this, no doubt; but I wish some of the Army divisions got some credit.......no offense to the Marines....

They should be... The wildcats were mentioned alot in Sledge's book.

Sam

DutchInfid3l

Tom Hanks attends HBO miniseries screening in N.O.

March 2, 2010, 9:11 PM EST

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- The National World War II Museum rolled out the red carpet Tuesday for actor Tom Hanks and the stars of a new HBO miniseries set during that war.

Hanks is an executive producer of "The Pacific," a 10-part miniseries which follows three U.S. Marines fighting in the Pacific Theater during World War II.

Hanks joined the miniseries' stars — James Badge Dale, Jon Seda and Joe Mazzello — for a screening of the first episode at city's convention center, followed by a reception at the New Orleans museum.

Hanks also teamed up with "The Pacific" executive producers Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman on HBO's "Band of Brothers," a 2001 miniseries set in Europe during World War II.

"The Pacific," which debuts on HBO on March 14, depicts some of the war's bloodiest battles, including Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. Dale, Seda and Mazzello each play real-life men who fought in the Pacific campaign.

"There are three main characters that we follow, so therefore we got to be even more personal than we were in Band of Brothers. So in a weird way by focusing on less characters by number, we were able to expand the scope," Hanks said while on the red carpet inside the convention center.

Before the 10-month shoot started in Australia, the cast endured a grueling 10-day "boot camp" under the direction of Dale Dye, an actor and military advisor whose screen credits include "Saving Private Ryan." They also met with relatives of the men they portrayed and veterans who fought in the battles portrayed in the miniseries.

"These are the guys we're doing it for," said Dale, who plays the late Robert Leckie. "This is their story. These are the men who have been there."

Mazzello, who plays the late Eugene Sledge, said his grandfather fought in the Pacific and died during the miniseries' filming.

"Before he died, he got to know that I was going to be doing this and I was going to be honoring men like him," he said.

Seda downplayed comparisons between the two miniseries, saying "The Pacific" shows a different side of war than "Band of Brothers."

"We're just trying to keep in line with what they started, which was to honor all the men on both sides, from the Pacific to Europe, and honor all the men who sacrificed," he said.

Sid Phillips, 85, of Mobile, Ala., who is portrayed by Ashton Holmes in the miniseries, was 17 years old when he fought on Guadalcanal. He said he was struck by how the miniseries actually captured what he remembers about the war, including the density and wetness of the jungle.

"War movies are never accurate to war veterans but I think this is maybe the best one I've seen so far," Phillips said.

WOW! Never heard anyone use the words "VERY gracious" about Capt Dale Dye. he wasn't very gracious when he was forced to retract his claim of being a battlefield commisioned officer (very few Marine Public Relation Officer's were ya' know).

It must have been becasue he knew all you guys could rip him into little peices with a plastic spoon or or something.

Dye did two tours in Vietnam as a Marine combat correspondent, which is not quite like doing PR at the Pentagon. He earned a Bronze Star with V and got three Purple Hearts. Any Marine at the siege of Hue put his rump on the line.

RANDALL 1953

When HBO aired Band Of Brothers I noticed the HBO Store had hats & t shirts available for sale. I was curious if they would do the same for The Pacific. I just checked the store and so far there is a hat which I will pass on but they do have some pretty cool posters available of which I ordered one. Here is the link to anyone who is interested http://store.hbo.com/ and if you put in the code HBO15 in the coupon box you will get 15% off on your purchase.

I signed up for HBO today :rolleyes: Cox cable has a special price on HBO service: $10.00 a month for 6 months.

I signed up for HBO today :rolleyes: Cox cable has a special price on HBO service: $10.00 a month for 6 months.

I signed up for HBO as well. Actually, I got my parents to sign up so I can watch it with my Dad! I can't wait until Sunday night at 9:00! ....Kat

RANDALL 1953

Just a note that at least here on est HBO will run The Pacific at 9:00-10:00 PM and again at 11:00 PM-12:00 Midnight. In case you miss the 9:00-10:00 showing.

Don't forget that HBO on Demand has some great previews, scenes and interviews from the Pacific.

It's going to be awfully quiet on these here message boards tonight as "The Pacific" premieres in the USA..both east and west coast time! We Brits have to wait until May for the UK premiere on SkyTv!

I wonder who'll win the scamble to be the first forum-er to post a review here?!

Enjoy!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

I wanted to share the image used to create our forum home page Salute To Pacific War Veteran's:

pacwarvets.jpg

Pictured are PFC’s John C. Brown of Washington, PA and Carmen J. Catania of Watertown, NY, and Corp. Joseph J. Mannino, New York, N.Y.

Then-Corporal Carmen J. Catania was killed in action Okinawa on 10 May 1945, six months after this photo was taken on Guam.

guammarines.jpg

guamplaquecap.jpg

ClaptonIsGod

Well, I too recently just got HBO, so hopefully it'll be worth it. Apparently this is supposed to be much more (if it's possible) violent then SPR?

normaninvasion

Add me to the list of HBO sign ups!! For, once there will be something to look foward to, on the tube. Everyone enjoy :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
It's going to be awfully quiet on these here message boards tonight as "The Pacific" premieres in the USA..both east and west coast time! We Brits have to wait until May for the UK premiere on SkyTv!

I wonder who'll win the scamble to be the first forum-er to post a review here?!

Enjoy!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

I know right! Ian, do we know the exact date yet? All it seems to say on Sky is 'Coming Easter'...

Will

I know right! Ian, do we know the exact date yet? All it seems to say on Sky is 'Coming Easter'...

Will

Hi Will. I visited the Sky website today and could find no date other than "Easter"..which is a bit vague to say the least! So..I emailed them a request for more info. No reply yet other than an automated acknowlegement. I'll let you know if/when I have some concrete info.

Ian :thumbsup:

Got da Penny

Called up the cable co last week, they offered the first 30 days "free". ..................then $15 a month.

First time i have had HBO and i figured it was worth the month and a half before i cancel it.

CS

Hi Will. I visited the Sky website today and could find no date other than "Easter"..which is a bit vague to say the least! So..I emailed them a request for more info. No reply yet other than an automated acknowlegement. I'll let you know if/when I have some concrete info.

Ian :thumbsup:

Sky Movie Magazine for March/April states the first episode is broadcast on Monday April 5th (Easter Monday) :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn :)

Dirt Detective
Just a note that at least here on est HBO will run The Pacific at 9:00-10:00 PM and again at 11:00 PM-12:00 Midnight. In case you miss the 9:00-10:00 showing.

Going to be a great series..Here is calif I can watch it on east coast time 6-7 and then west coast time 9-10 :w00t: