"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Tenth Army any one know of them ?, they have mentioned the Army about four times in this series , and none of it good :thumbdown: :thumbdown: shame on them .Patchtrader864

Tenth Army was the identification given to the Okinawa invasion force and commanded by Lt. General Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr (KIA on Okinawa). It was comprised of the Army's 24th Corps (7th, 27th, 77th, and 96th Infantry Divisions), commanded by Major General John Hodge, and the Marines 3rd Amphibious Corps (1st, 2nd, and 6th Marine Divisions), commanded by Major General Roy Geiger. General Geiger replaced Buckner when he was killed on 18 June 45.

“I’d rather have my kids watch two people having sex then have them watch two people trying to kill each other. I think it’s very strange that society is the opposite.”

John Lennon

I could not agree more. Just when I thought I have heard all Lennon's quotes you spring this one on me.

-Dave

Happiness is a warm gun, bang bang, shoot shoot. - John Lennon

patchtrader864

Battle of Okinawa Casualties Navy kia and wia 9,870. Marines kia and wia 26,724. Army 34,736. Japanese kia 107,000. Patchtrader864

As it is Sunday night and our wee show is coming on later I want to formally announce I am going to the Pub down the street to have a couple of German Pints of beer and some sausage .

Oh yes and it is the last SURVIVOR on also ...........I am watching that first ....

thank you

owen .

HolyHappiness

I must say 10 out of freaking 10! That was the most powerful acting, writing, directing, and music accompaniment I have seen in a long time. I got teary eyed in multiple scenes, especially when Eugene breaks down on the trail. Me and my dad (both military men) were sucked in, and my mom didn't understand the connection we made. This just goes to show that in order to feel those inner emotions of seeing your brothers generations ahead of you leaving comrades that have stuck together for long periods of time, who have been to hell and back with each other, part, to see them take those lonely walks of ponderous thought, and live those times when you wish that you had no memory, you must be in the military.

I had a few friends who called me and asked what I think then voiced how the episode was too slow, or there wasn't enough excitement. However, on the other side of the spectrum, everyone that I have talked to that have served felt that connection, even if generations apart, as if they were brothers. This episode captured camaraderie better than 99% of all films ever made. This was by far the most powerful episode that this series presented let alone HBO in general. I would love to hear the opinions of military men and non-military men alike to see if others made the connection that I've made.

Best wishes,

Nathan

kjones5452

Now that I've seen the end,it puts new light on what was done with

the previous episodes. Memorial Day when their on back to back I'll

watch with a different outlook.

US Victory Museum

Yes, Fort Worth Gal, Lena Basilone was indeed carrying a WAC purse, and not a USMC/WR

purse.

In my opinion, this series blew chunks.

I am very much grateful that in the final episode the producers toned down the T & A.

I was dreading being forced to watch Leckie's lilly white arse pounding between the sheets.

The swearing was likewise toned down for the final episode.

I found myself wanting to know more about SNAFU's homecoming than those of the ones

shown. His was the most interesting and complex character portrayed in the series.

If I were more honest, I'd say the series was worth watching once (and only once); however,

given the great anticipation and the time between when film set images were posted to the

net, and when the series was finally broadcast, I found myself very much disappointed.

The anticipation wasn't matched by the reward, That's never a good thing.

I won't be watching this turd on re-runs.

EXCELLENT conclusion to this series! The cast and crew had a tall order to fill (romance, PTSD, alcohol use/abuse, finding jobs, reintegration to society from the military, interservice rivalry, etc, etc), and I think they really hit a home run with this episode!! Like Nathan, I really connected with Sledge when he broke down on the hunting trip. I thought one of the keys of this show is that they toned down the T&A, which would have contributed nothing, yet it was tastefully alluded to.

I groaned when Leckie was in the opening scene, and I rooted for him outside Vera's door. I found myself wondering, during the concluding segment, who were those other characters - some were vaguely familiar, and some I was clueless about. That left me wondering if I was disconnected from what we've all spent the last 10 weeks watching, or if it gets to an overall lack of character development? I'm curious if many of you had a similiar thought while watching that segment.

Not sure if I'll watch this again...certainly not back to back for 8 hours on DVD.

Steve

I am very disappointed in the accuracy in this episode. Did you see the ice cubes in Sledges Iced Tea? They were clearly modern style half moons. I bet it wasn't even sweet tea. Oh yeah not enough b@@bs! They should have shown how the term baby-boomers came about :thumbdown: - Dave

I am very disappointed in the accuracy in this episode. Did you see the ice cubes in Sledges Iced Tea? They were clearly modern style half moons. I bet it wasn't even sweet tea. Oh yeah not enough b@@bs! They should have shown how the term baby-boomers came about :thumbdown: - Dave

Their was one other very subtle inaccuracy. Leckie tells his editor at The Bergen Evening Record, that he is going to cover the Bergen Catholic vs. Don Bosco Prep game at 3 o' clock. Bergen Catholic did not exist as a high school until 1955. Other than that I enjoyed Episode 10 and the series in general.

giconceptsjw

I liked #10. I think they wrapped up the series pretty well. It was interesting to see Snafu just blend into obscurity after getting off the train. It was nice to see the original veteran’s pics & bio at the end as well. It would have been nice to see the 1st Division in China in ’46 (Sledge was there for some time) but oh well.

As far as unauthentic ice cubes, I missed that one. I did see something I thought was very weird; Snafu, Sledge & their sergeant were all wearing the French fourragere on the train. Then when Sledge gets off the train, the fourragere is magically gone. Did they think there were 2nd MarDiv 5th or 6th marines for a second? Watch for it next time. It is particularly noticeable when Snafu leaves. They show him wearing it as well as Sledge while he is sleeping. When Sledge gets off at Mobile, it’s gone.

Now that “The Pacific” is over, first thing I’m doing tonight is canceling my HBO package. Everything they show is lame and that series Treme triggers my gag reflex.

I liked episode 10. Finally at the end of the series we got to see a little bit of who these characters were. Still. over all a weak effort and not one I will be rewatching. Now to get that rotten HBO cancelled!

best wishes,

jeff

As for the 10th episode. I thought is was probably better than the rest of the series except for episode 8. I give "The Pacific" a rating of "4" out of 10. It's not a series where I think I'll find myself watching again like I do with BoB. That's too bad… Yes I will also be canceling my HBO package.

I am sorry many of you all didn't like the series. I thought it was very good for what time they had. Even with the mistakes in it, I think it was great. All the nudity and gore cmade it come together as a more complete package, to me anyway. After all the Marines did not fight 365 days a year. I did not know that the army wore their puc's and the like on the same side as the Marines do back then. Sledges brother the Army tanker officer wore them that way.

Terry

Cobrahistorian

I thought the series ended on a high note. I've made my feelings about the series known on here, so I'm not going to rehash anything. It was an effort that just came up short for me. Will I watch it again? Yes. Will I own it? Probably. It is still, by far the best depiction of combat in the Pacific Theater ever captured on film. The Peleliu episodes alone justify the purchase. I probably won't ever watch episodes 1-5 again, but who knows.

It could have been SO much better had they had a better advising team.

M1Marksman

I was disappointed in the ending; Sledge walking in a field. Whatever. I realize he had to sort things out & was feeling guilty about coming home alive when so many did not. The series had its ups & downs for me. Unfortunately, there were more downs. I would never have known about the ice cubes, the WAC purse, or the school that started in 1955. Doesn't really matter. I spent every Sunday for the last 10 weeks waiting for a great show. I guess I'm still waiting...

I would probably watch the series again, but only if I could fast-forward through the slow or uninteresting parts. I just think the Marines & anyone else who served in the God-awful war in the Pacific could have been honored better. Weak storyline & some crappy acting as well as directing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with Mr. Hanks, Spielberg, Van Patten & To. Someone's got some 'splaining to do! :evilgrin:

modern ice cubes... :D;) :w00t: :hapy0003: :hapy0004: :laughing1:

Sorry about that. I made that one up. - Dave

Caseydiggz

I give episodes 7-10 an overall grade of A

I give episodes 1-6 and overall grade of D-

I feel like i connected way more with Snafu than with Leckie or Basilone. Sledge's episodes were far superior to the others thanks to the great acting of Rami Malek in his portrayal of Snafu

fortworthgal

Episode 10 was definitely one of the best. I agree, Sledge's episodes were by far the most interesting. Snafu was by far the most interesting and well-written character of the series. I think the episodes focusing on Leckie were very lackluster for me. I will definitely watch the series again and I did enjoy most of it, although I do think it could have been much better overall. I think the series would have benefited greatly from being 15 episodes rather than 10.

Yes, Fort Worth Gal, Lena Basilone was indeed carrying a WAC purse, and not a USMC/WR purse.

Nevermind the Army shirt she wore through most of episode 8, and wearing a men's overseas cap in her visit to Basilone's family home. :thumbdown: