"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

I am sure that there are a lot of people in US that think that the 101st was the ONLY para-division in the war

I agree.

The "101st Abn case study" ought to be lectured in all world PR academies. More experienced, and maybe better 82nd Abn does not exist, not to mention other Abn divisions, whereas 101st has powerful publicity.

:)

I suppose this will show that only Marines fought in the Pacific just like the 101st won WWII in Europe! (Where the heck was the 82d Airborne-on R&R????)...Still, it'll be a good show I'm certain. Ed
NOTHING upsets a Marine more than being reminded that there were more Army soldiers in the Pacific than Marines.

I even overheard a heated argument at an airshow on that point last year at our living history group’s display. One member of the public was CONVINCED that the movie, “The Thin Red Line” was incorrect because ‘everyone knows the Army wasn’t in the Pacific after Pearl Harbor…’ (his words, I kid you not).

shrapneldude
NOTHING upsets a Marine more than being reminded that there were more Army soldiers in the Pacific than Marines.

I even overheard a heated argument at an airshow on that point last year at our living history group’s display. One member of the public was CONVINCED that the movie, “The Thin Red Line” was incorrect because ‘everyone knows the Army wasn’t in the Pacific after Pearl Harbor…’ (his words, I kid you not).

Even worse...the Army beat us at our own game...something like twice as many Amphibious beach assault landings were conducted by the US Army than the US Marine Corps. Unfathomable!!

But the Marine Corps has always been a smaller force. 6 fighting divisions at it's largest, and the army had a lot more manpower.

Anyhow - as for this movie, I see a lot of idle speculation "Wait till the pacific comes out...Marine uniforms will be selling over $2,000 each!" which in itself may be causing a premature surge in prices of WWII Marine items. I don't like that one bit. It's like the stock market...or the gun market just after the last election. "Things are gonna get scarce and pricy real soon" -- enough guys start running around saying that crap, and before you know it ... it happens without any real cause in the first place.

I don't claim to have decades upon decades of collecting under my belt but I have been buying since before Band of Brothers came out...Airborne stuff was always a little higher, so was USMC. But there were periods when AAF was big money stuff...and CBI stuff was off the charts for a while too. Trends and phases mostly, nothing to cause all this excitement. I for one can't wait to see the series...hope it's an accurate portrayal of WWII Marine combat, but I think any negative consequences the program might have on the hobby of collecting will be all manufactured in our minds before it even happens.

For what it's worth, there was year between the airing of Band of Brothers and the release of the dvd set in 2002. I'll bet The Pacific is out by this Christmas though.

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose this will show that only Marines fought in the Pacific just like the 101st won WWII in Europe! (Where the heck was the 82d Airborne-on R&R????)...Still, it'll be a good show I'm certain. Ed

I like that the mini-series' focused on a specific unit for these, as much as I'd have liked to see the 82nd or the 17th Airborne I think it would have made for a schizophrenic series to jump around to different units. These were meant to be a small fraction of the war as seen through the eyes of a select few men.

You could argue that the 82nd was first but the 101st saw about the same amount of heavy action in WWII. The 3rd Armored Division saw more heavy combat than any of the airborne or armored divisions and most of the infantry divisions as well, but they still haven't been the subject of any movies that I'm aware of. The "elite" units always garner more attention when it comes to Hollywood.

Anyone else notice in the trailer that the covers on the helmets have the "slits" in them? :pinch:

Because that is totally not correct for 1st MARDIV on Cape Gloucester...:

http://www.archives.gov/research/ww2/photo...ges/ww2-142.jpg

http://www.ww2gyrene.org/assets/weapons_thompson3.jpg

Huh I guess it is...

-Josh

Just an FYI, if you don’t have HBO, you might be able to get a deal. I called complaining to my cable company about something else and talked with manager about that issue, and asked them if I could get HBO for a few months to “see if I like it” clearly with this series in mind. They found a deal for 12 months for just $5.99 a month! I signed up and had it running ten minutes later (you have to like that digital cable service for that reason alone). I was shocked to find that HBO these days is several different HBO channels now, so I have all the TV I could ever watch for the next year. So if you don’t have it already, ask you local cable provider if there are any specials.

Good news for British viewers! Sky Movies HD have just announced that they will be screening the series in the UK at the same time as it airs in the US. Further info can be found on www.skymovies.com

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Kurt Barickman

Sledge was with the 5th Marines on Peleliu and Okinawa. Basilone won the MOH with the 1st Marine Division on Guadalcanal and then ends up by his own choice back in the line later and is KIA on Iwo. Leckie became a rather well known US historian after the war and I believe was with the 7th Marines. His Helmet book is somewhat frustrating for me as he never used anybody's real name. Look forward, always wanted to see something done with Peleliu. Still waiting for current Hollywood to do something with Tarawa.

Kurt Barickman

• 3 weeks later...

Did you know that the USS Missouri had been refinished its restoration, and was towed out to sea to be used in a movie? I wonder if this could be it. B)

As we wait the final days for "the Pacific" I want to throw some info out there.

As we know the series follows a group of marines through the island hopping

campaign. Two of them, Eugene Sledge and Sid Phillips, were best friends from

Mobile, AL.

Phillips is still with us and is a great gent. He was also featured some years

ago in Ken Burns' "The War". I can't wait.....

Greetings all,

Just wanted to share. I had the opportunity to view the first episode of this series at a special premiere at Camp Pendleton last night. All I can say is that it left me wanting MORE! A handful of the cadre from Warriors, Inc. were present, to include the well-known Capt Dale Dye. VERY gracious, to a man, and more than willing to answer questions, take photos, etc.

Okay, now to the "meat"...

I know that the majority of us "collectors" are VERY into the details, but so long as you can put that in the back seat, you will enjoy this series immensely (or at least the first episode, which is all I can attest to!)

Immediately, some things you need to put aside:

-Saw SOME, but not all Hawley liners

-Aside from a couple officers, not a lot of khaki shirts (everyone else was in P41 HBT)

-A personal pet-peeve, most HBT hats are worn "modern" style (i.e., "squared away" and pulled down over the eyes). My personal observance is that back in that era, most were worn with a distinct tilt, or at least on the back of the head...

-All dog tags were worn on modern chains, as opposed to the monofilament or boot-lace commonly seen of the era

-Virtually no pisscutters, almost all headgear was HBT caps or helmets

Okay, those things aside, here's my take:

As opposed to the first episode of BoB, things happened VERY quickly. Understandable, as there is considerable groundwork to be laid in a very short time. We immediately meet (then)Sgt Basilone, as well as Sid Phillips and Gene Sledge, and Bob Leckie. No coverage of boot camp, but I would imagine that MIGHT be covered in subsequent episodes with Sledge(???) Anticlimactic landing at Guadalcanal (correct, actually, but SPR and BoB fans might critique), but the battle of the Tenaru River is extremely accurate and well-executed, in my opinion). A little slow at the outset, but it escalates quickly and follows well the accomplishment of Leckie, Phillips, and their comrades.

All in all, well done and definitley enough to "whet the whistle" for the follow-on episodes. Interestingly enough, in talking to the cadre who took part in every episode, they told me that the first installment was the most "boring" episode of the series!

At the very end of this first look, you witness LtCol Puller and his men (along with Basilone, J.P. Morgan and others) showing up on the 'Canal to relieve the beleagured remnants of Leckie's unit, so we are undoubtedly in store for some serious action in the episodes to follow (Matanikau, anyone?)

At any rate, jealous of all of you that I will be deployed when the series airs, hopefully someone will take pity on me and record it for me on DVD!!

Semper,

Ski