"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Now that I look into it a bit, Remington was shifting production from the M1903 to the M1903A3 in 1942. It is theoretically possible that a Remington 03A3 was on Guadalcanal in mid 1942, but more than likely it wouldn't have been until early 1943. Smith Corona didn't start producing 03A3s until mid-43. There were over 100,000 03A3s produced by Remington by the end of August 1942, so I guess it was possible....

I was impressed that they included the Battle of Savo Island. Pretty cool to see.

Jon

Except that all the O3A3s they all went to the army as far as I know.

I have yet to ever see one picture of a marine in the canal with an 03A3. Not a single one. So clearly it was a big mistake by the producers to have every marine rifleman armed with an O3A3.

Do I think it was a small oversight. No it is a very big one in my opinion.

Corpsmancollector

I have yet to ever see one picture of a marine in the canal with an 03A3. Not a single one. So clearly it was a big mistake by the producers to have every marine rifleman armed with an O3A3.

Here here!

Kurt Barickman

I liked the Peleliu airfield episode; esp. Gunny and Ack Ack. I can't tell you how many times I have watched BOB and I liked that series the more times I watched it as well and picked up bits and pieces about the characters. I think this will be the same experience with Pacific IMHO.

Kurt Barickman

Cobrahistorian

deadhorse1.gif

If you guys want to read a great book with true accounts from Marine Raiders through the entire PTO this is the book for you ,I have been reading this book for about a month and let me tell you the things that the Marine's did and saw were amazing ,I never knew the Army had a total dislike for the Marines then and were excluded from many things like food and water .

Here is the link for the book I think James is still alive I have not gotten an e-mail from him in a bit but he does autograph every book he sells at no charge Here is his e-mail also [email protected]

http://www.usmarineraiders.org/bookrealbloodrealguts.htm

A little Bio about him

JAMES GLEASON Served as a Corpsman with the First Marine Raider Regiment, he is believed to have been the youngest Raider Corpsman to see combat, at the age of 17. Later in WW II he served on independent duty aboard a Navy Destroyer and a Navy Mine sweeper in the Pacific Theater of War. He was recalled to active duty to serve with a Marine Air Group during the Korean War. He retired in 1992; following a career as Director of Resort Development for 3 multi-national firms, as an owner of a book store in Williamsburg, VA and a teacher at the College of William and Mary. Mr. Gleason is Director Emeriti of the Friends of the Swem Library, College of William and Mary, and has served as a Director of the American Resort and Development Association, Vice President, Secy and Director of the Marine Raider Association and as a Board Member of 7 other corporations. As a military historian he has written stories for the Marine Corps League Magazine and the Raider Patch.

Corpsmancollector

I also have a copy of the above book and it's most certainly worth purchasing. James is a wonderful guy and as Gutkowski mentioned, he signs every copy too :)

Us limeys were treated to the 'pleasures' of Cape Gloucester and Pavuvu last night and the interesting and often forgotten insight into how many marines felt that they were fighting 2 enemies; the Japanese and the jungle. I think they managed to capture this very well, especially with Leckie's scene when he was struggling to walk through the mud and lost his boots (amongst other scenes) it showed just how frustrating and irritating it must have been to survive in such a tyrannical environment.

The series is getting better (in my opinion) and I'm looking forward to what Part 5 has to bring.

I liked the Peleliu airfield episode; esp. Gunny and Ack Ack. I can't tell you how many times I have watched BOB and I liked that series the more times I watched it as well and picked up bits and pieces about the characters. I think this will be the same experience with Pacific IMHO.

Kurt Barickman

While waiting for the 3rd episode which airs here tonight, I have watched the first two, a total of 3 times as they are encored so much here, and i definitely agree. While I liked them the first time regardless, I appreciate them more and more and they are very rewatchable!

ClaptonIsGod
Ummm. Did I miss something... :unsure: What ever happen to PFC Lou 'Chuckler' Juergens?

I was wondering that too.. during the episode on the hospital ship, Leckie said "Where the hell is Chuckler?" Hope he didn't get KIA, he seemed kind of cool :blink:

I was wondering that too.. during the episode on the hospital ship, Leckie said "Where the hell is Chuckler?" Hope he didn't get KIA, he seemed kind of cool :blink:

Didn't they say something to the CPT about about? in which the CPT responded we haven't finished shorting out the bodies yet on the beach. Oh man, I liked him aswell.

ClaptonIsGod
Didn't they say something to the CPT about about? in which the CPT responded we haven't finished shorting out the bodies yet on the beach. Oh man, I liked him aswell.

And the "sad" factor is about quadrupled when you realize all this was real, too. Sigh.

He made it out of there , at least in real life anyway.I highly recommend ''Helmet for my pillow'' and wished they could have followed the book a little closer. I also wish there were about twice as many episode with more character detail . It would have been nice to have shown a little more on the other branches of service too if they are going to call this the Pacific. Oh well ,enough grumbling.

Enjoying the show though and looking forward to the next episode.

ClaptonIsGod

Yeah, thousand yard stare there. I really liked tonight's episode. You could feel their hopelessness and depression when "Hillbilly" and Haldane got killed. Also very interesting to see the Gunny break like that, not much of a "animal" now, huh. So anyway I thought it was very well done and liked it a lot.

Ummm. Did I miss something... :unsure: What ever happen to PFC Lou 'Chuckler' Juergens?

Carried out on a Stretcher with his right leg gone below the knee from the looks of it. Sledge says hello to him, but he's in shock.

fortworthgal

Enjoyed episode 7... but the ARC gals at the end... KFC?!?!? I've never heard or seen any documentation of them wearing white NNC dresses with Marine division patches. Most photos of ARC workers in the PTO show them in cobbled-together uniforms or men's khakis, with the appropriate ARC patch.

Also I'll have to look again, but pretty sure they had their insignia backwards.

Enjoyed episode 7... but the ARC gals at the end... KFC?!?!? I've never heard or seen any documentation of them wearing white NNC dresses, much less with Marine division patches.

Also I'll have to look again, but pretty sure they had their insignia backwards.

First time posting on this thread, the series was very slow to get started but Ive been very impressed by the last 3 or 4.

HolyHappiness

My usual word choice for describing an episode is irrelevant in this case. I cannot use the term "superb" nor "fantastic", not "the best" or "most entertaining". This was not entrainment, this episode was a window to the past in it's simplest form. This episode is best described as "powerful", "emotional", "sobering", and above all: "perfect". For the first time in the series I have been completely stunned into a stupor similar to the one that Sledgehammer gave that butter bar. I pull my statement from my last review and place it in this one, this was by far the most brutality I have ever seen in a war epic, everything from charred Japanese soldiers to SNAFU using a dead Japanese soldier's head as a bird pond.

I am very happy to see the incident between SNAFU and Sledge when Eugene tried to pry out the golden teeth from a dead Japanese soldier. It's good to see SNAFU protect Sledge from becoming him. I may sound a sadist, but I really like SNAFU. At first I thought he was just a sick *#&@, but now I see a strange man who is already dead inside, almost to the point that anything he does has a very naive innocence to it. Does anyone else feel this way, I'd feel like an idiot if I'm the only one.

Anyways, I can't say much about this episode as the slightest hint in any direction can spoil the entire episode for those who haven't seen it. All I can say to those to haven't seen this one yet is: save your dinner until afterward.

I will report again as soon as we have taken Iwo Jima.

HOORAH!

-Nathan

HolyHappines

You got SNAFU pegged right.He's turned out to have a complicated

personality.I like the way he and Sledge play off each other.I'm

really gonna hate it if something happens to him.He's also a dead

ringer for the old time star Peter Lorre. It's the eyes.

I have really found this series lacking- until tonight. This espisode was a home run. Really speechless about this one.

jeff

RANDALL 1953
I have really found this series lacking- until tonight. This espisode was a home run. Really speechless about this one.

jeff

I like the series so far but last nights showing was great, I think that the rest will be just as good.

I agree with you Nathan. So pleased with the series thus far.

The one thing I have not understood throughout this whole thread is that there as been Hanks and Speilberg bashing. I see the interviews with them and these two men really care and have done more than just about anyone to preserve the memory of what our servicemembers did during WWII.

Cheers,

Capa