"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Guest usmc1802
You kids now-a-days are too spoiled! When I was your age, we had "Battle of the Bulge" and we liked it! :D

If you haven't seen "Pride of the Marines" with John Garfield as Marine Sgt. Al Schmid by all means find it. This is the single best depiction of a machinegun team in action ever put to film. It's a small part of the movie but well worth it and the detail is incredible.

I missed the first episode and don't have HBO. It's available as a streaming video on the main "Pacific" site but my internet seems

too slow to watch it. I'm looking forward to buying this set on DVD!!

Nate,

Go to the HBO website. It's good enough to enjoy until the video is released.

Jim

The Top 10 reasons why the Pacific is Outstanding…

10. The series is entertainment and not a documentary

9. .03 .04 or .1.00 the general populace does not care

8. Hanks & Spielberg were “pressured” into do doing a “Pacific” series after Band of Brothers

7. Joe Hobbs is still the best costumer out there

6. Did the Marines ever really train? Lord knows they actually had hair in the early 40’s :)

5. Nobody from Band of Brothers is now a Marine

4. Maybe someone actually picks up a book or two and learns about these Great Heroes that this series is about

3. See number 10

2. After 13 pages and 500 posts there will still be 500 MILLION people World Wide who do watch and buy the Series

And the number one reason that “The Pacific” is outstanding…

1. Thank God that Dale Dye was not cast as Chesty Puller!

The Top 10 reasons why the Pacific is Outstanding…

10. The series is entertainment and not a documentary

9. .03 .04 or .1.00 the general populace does not care

8. Hanks & Spielberg were “pressured” into do doing a “Pacific” series after Band of Brothers

7. Joe Hobbs is still the best costumer out there

6. Did the Marines ever really train? Lord knows they actually had hair in the early 40’s :)

5. Nobody from Band of Brothers is now a Marine

4. Maybe someone actually picks up a book or two and learns about these Great Heroes that this series is about

3. See number 10

2. After 13 pages and 500 posts there will still be 500 MILLION people World Wide who do watch and buy the Series

Perfect! :lol:

I have been trying to eyeball USMC militaria prices on Ebay and compare them to the start of the show. It seems like prices are rising as predicted. What are y'all's thoughts?

Capa

Anyone notice in tonights episode the PL next to Basilone, who gets it in the face?

His helmet had a rivet where the Bail/bail was.

Basilone using the Headspace and Timing tool to clear stoppages

Reising M50, and M1897 Trenchguns

Jake .

Its perfect .

Thank you Sir .

One thing about the Pacific that has came into my mind .........................

The number of members who dont have HBO in the first place !!!!!!!

No Deadwood .

No Sopranos .

And all the lovely fights on a saturday night .

Owen

HolyHappiness

Fantastic second episode. I was really please when they introduced the army, the looting scene was epic. My favorite scene thus far is at the end of ep2 when Leckie and others get coffee get asked "how it was", excellent episode, look forward to the next one.

teufelhunde.ret

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want to say this about tonights episode,

WOW!!!

Terry

It was worth staying up for (had to watch the later showing).

I wish they put in a couple more scenes of the listening post as they reported on enemy movement. It would have been a really great bonus scene to convey the "oh shinola" feeling as they reported on enemy sounds around them approaching to attack the line and they're in the middle of it all.

All looked good though.

Great desperate holding the line night action (check)

Emaciated, sick, and hungry marines (check)

Raiding army supplies (check)

Terror of being on the receiving end of enemy barrage (check)

Leckie... on his last ounces of strength getting up the net to reboard the ship and being helped out by someone (check)

Being told by a sailor that everyone knew about Guadalcanal and that they're heroes (check)

Even showing that the army had M1's :) (check)

Can't wait to see the Australia R&R episode next week.

Much better than the fist episode.

I don't have a problem with Dale Dye, but him showing up in every war movie seems like he's going for the Guinness book of world records. It gets old after awhile seeing him.

fortworthgal

Episode 2 was great, even better than episode 1.

The series is definitely living up to my expectations. :thumbsup:

At last is is begining to deliver the goods .

My favourite moment ???

The 3rd degree burn tent secene and the pushing on through the massive pain he was in .

7 out of 10

owen

Episode 2 was great, even better than episode 1.

The series is definitely living up to my expectations. :thumbsup:

In these first two episodes we have seen that the battle scenes are shot in such a way that it coveys the fog of war: usually in "war movies" battle scenes move at a pace designed to let you follow what's going on, but this concentrates on the chaos and confusion and you don't get a clear sense of what happened until the "after action" dialogue when the shooting is over. I knew how the assault ended, but I was still on edge as screen filled with rapid snippets of noise, flashes and screams. Watching it I could only wonder how utterly and totally chaotic it must have been for Basilone and his fellow Marines. My wife drives through Camp Pendleton on Interstate 5 on the way to work everyday and I know that after watching last night's episode she'll never look at this freeway sign the same again:

BasiloneRd.jpg

Last night I purchased HBO and watched the first two episodes. Just the intro music makes me emotional.

I can't wait to see some hand to hand combat. PTO items are going to climb in price due to this series.

All I can say is congrats to the producers, not only for a well done job but for remembering it. Without films like this and BOB the war would be all but forgotten outside the very small circles of collectors and other enthusiasts.

I'm late getting into the reviews as I just saw the first part. The first part is on Fancast and I got to see it finallyas I don't have HBO. Having grown up with WW2 Marines the show is right on the mark.

Did anyone else notice there's someone supposedly selling a complete DVD set of the series ready to go right now on ePay (#150424236137)? I wonder how he got that, probably a reviewer's copy? :think:

Kurt Barickman

Enjoyed the second episode. The only thing I could have hoped for as was already mentioned concerning the noises and the waiting and watching in the night. The only other thing I was hoping for but know that it was not in these two Marines' stories was a huge Bloody Ridge slugfest with the Paramarines and Raiders; an epic night battle. But I still liked it very much. :thumbsup:

Kurt Barickman