"The Pacific" Band of Brothers for the Pacific War

Bob Hudson

Wildcat .

Great picture showing the correct way to wear floopy hair .

Cut nice and short but in keeping with the mans personal flair .

In the tv show it is THE same in every shot from start to finish.

Now is this consistant with Military code ? included is the final time we see the hair ?

It seems weird and shaggy scoobydooish!!!!!

Oh and its a tv show so we all know they get things wrong .

owen

A little editorial I am considering writing in my local paper. What do you think?

I watched the first episode of The Pacific tonight and wish they had covered one key point better. During the episode, the Marines come across mutilated bodies tied to trees. As historians we know they are the bodies of Marines, but the scene is rather fast and the uninformed observer is not clear as to whom the bodies belonged.

The reason I feel the need for clarification is for those (not the people on this forum, but others I have heard in public) who either through ignorance, apathy or poor education, view the actions of the Marines in WWII as something other than honorable. This scene set the tone for many Marines (including my two uncles) fighting on Guadalcanal and subsequent battles. Sidney Phillips recalled this event and stated, “Our battalion never took a prisoner that I know of after that."

Some 70 years later, people have distain for the actions of the United States and its servicemen during the War. We dropped the bomb, we killed civilians, the war was racist, etc. Yes, these events are a brutal reality of war that took place against a brutal enemy. For them to judge the actions of men in battle while they sit in front of their televisions and curse the past is pathetic on their part. Before they judge or try to re-write history, they should place themselves in that moment. I wasn’t there nor did I serve in combat, so I don’t know by what right I have to comment on the situation. But to me, as sickening and disgusting as one may find it, when it comes to going home or being buried on some distant island, what choice would I or they make?

The true respect is for the men who went through that hell and returned home. They continued on with their lives and tried to make life better for their family and their nation. I wish people would not judge the actions of men in war, but rather honor their efforts to make life better in peace.

Just MHO

The bodies looked like they were a guerrilla group or a bunch of natives. But that's just a guess. The rest of what you are saying reminds me of how Tom Hanks is behaving on the talk show circuit. He makes this mini series and thinks the men he's telling the story about are brutal to the enemy. Maybe he should do a movie about the Bataan Death March...

I have Direct TV but not the HBO package. I thought I wouldn't be able to see this series. But low and behold, Direct TV shows the series a day late on their Channel 101 and I didn't have sign up for HBO and the Premier package. I am very happy and enjoyed the 1st program last night.

Ah!!! Many thanks to you sir!! :w00t:

I have DirecTV as well and also did not have the HBO package. I have never heard of channel 101 however until you just mentioned it. Doing a little research on Wikipedia, it turns out ALL DirecTV subscribers have access to channel 101. In other words, you don't need HBO to watch the series or take up valuable time and bandwidth to watch it online!

I just checked the channel five minutes ago and as a matter of fact, The Pacific: Part One, comes on in a couple of hours at 1AM EST! Can't wait!! :D :w00t:

By the way, here is the link to Channel 101 on Wikipedia if you would like to know more about the channel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_101_Network

- Jeff

Ah!!! Many thanks to you sir!! :w00t:

I have DirecTV as well and also did not have the HBO package. I have never heard of channel 101 however until you just mentioned it. Doing a little research on Wikipedia, it turns out ALL DirecTV subscribers have access to channel 101. In other words, you don't need HBO to watch the series or take up valuable time and bandwidth to watch it online!

I just checked the channel five minutes ago and as a matter of fact, The Pacific: Part One, comes on in a couple of hours at 1AM EST! Can't wait!! :D :w00t:

By the way, here is the link to Channel 101 on Wikipedia if you would like to know more about the channel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_101_Network

- Jeff

Jeff

I see it will be on here also at 12am CST

RD

I subscribed to HBO just for the Pacific.......argh!!!!! Hey but at least the rest of you who wouldn't of had an oppurtunity to watch it did......kudos to you.

I have 25 cub scouts who are excited about watching the series.........25 kids!!!!!! Anything that will get this generation and the next interested in our history is awesome. Keep it coming........my boys learned so much about WWII from video games like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty. From video games..........!!!!

fortworthgal

The 101 (Directv) will usually show the first episode or 2 of a series, but won't show all 10. It is kind of a "teaser" hoping you'll shell out the bucks and purchase HBO. I know earlier this week they were showing episode 1 of The Pacific, Making of Band of Brothers, Making of The Pacific, and the BOB documentary (I think it is called "We Stand Alone Together") all in a row.

I think it is funny to see all of the comparisons on accuracy against Band of Brothers. BOB was most certainly not without fault (Albert Blithe, anyone?) It just seems a little silly to sit around debating the finer points of uniforms & gear against a totally different series that was also not perfect.

We all like accuracy, but it is Hollywood. We can all sit around and nitpick or we can focus on the story and enjoy it for what it is.

Interesting comments about use of equipment in the series ....

I guess it's a matter of perspective to me. I would think the main purpose of the series is to show the general public the sacrifice these young men made in the defense of liberty and freedom, and the hell that is war.

Without this sacrifice, the equipment is just “stuff”.

So … you may want to focus on the men and what they sacrificed … not the stuff.

Just one collector’s opinion.

Tim

Best post in this thread. :thumbsup:

I thought the scene with the bodies tied to the trees conveyed that they were Marines. I got it, anyway.

I'll withhold final judgment on the depiction of the Marines until the series is over. However, the scene with the Japanese soldier, and Leckie's letter home coupled with a few other, more tossed-off scenes/references seem to be establishing an overarching theme regarding the nature of the war in the Pacific and its effects on the men who fought it. Japanese brutality and blatantly racist US propaganda combined to drive men to do things that would ordinarily be completely beyond the pale. I know Sledge discusses this sort of thing in a number of instances in his book. Since the final episode revolves around Sledge and Leckie returning home, I expect there to be an exploration of their efforts to reconcile what they have seen and done with who they are or were.

Having watched the first episode for a second time last night I was left with the opinion this is a half hearted attempt at best hoping to ride in on the coat tails of Band of Brothers. Fortunately I was able to watch it on Direct TVs channel 101 and did not have to pay for it. I will not be subscribing to HBO to see the rest of it, I will wait to buy it when the box set ends up on the discount table which should not be all that long after release.

Kurt Barickman

I was thinking about that scene about the mutilated Gyrenes and wondering if they were making a half-hearted attempt to portray the Goettege patrol? It did not occur in that fashion that was portrayed in Episode One but was wondering if that is their way of showing why so much brutality began among the Marines against the Japanese? :think:

Kurt Barickman

teufelhunde.ret
I was thinking about that scene about the mutilated Gyrenes and wondering if they were making a half-hearted attempt to portray the Goettege patrol? It did not occur in that fashion that was portrayed in Episode One but was wondering if that is their way of showing why so much brutality began among the Marines against the Japanese? :think:

Kurt Barickman

Kurt, you may very be onto something. The following is an exract from a letter His name is Richard Milana, and he was one of the first men to land on Guadalcanal. He is featured prominently in the excellent book "On the Canal". http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/m500450-print.aspx

"Our battalion was then deployed west of the Lunga River on perimiter

defence about three miles short of the Matanikau River, the otherside of

which until the end of the island was held by the Japs in strength. We

set up barbed wire backed up with a 37mm anti-tank gun and many shells

witjh buckshot. My company faced no-man's deritory from the beach,

through the coconot grove to the jungle. For about a month my platoon

went on patrol towards the Matanikau. No body wanted to take point and

so I voluntared and usuall walked 40-50 yards in fromt of the patrol. I

thought this over and concluded that if there was a Japanese sniper in the

trees he would let the patrol pass so he could shot marines in the back

and not be spotted. I took point 3o days in a row. One day a Japanese came up

to me with his hands raised, I could see he had no weapon and no

concealed grenades under his arms. When the rest of the patrol came up

my sergeant told me to shoot him. I refused so another marine shot him

in the back of the japs head (this was acceptible by Geneva Convention,

you need not take prisoners when in enemy territory) Other times, while

on patrol I spotted a Japanese patrol walking towards us. I shot two before

the rest ran out of sight. Several days later a Japanese carrying a white

flag towards us and he was taken to head-quarters. He claimed that the

Japs on the other side of the river, in Mitanikau Village, about 300

wanted to surrender. The following day Colonel Goetege and several

officers and thirty men marched to the village. They were slaughtered

all but one who jumped into the bay and swam back to our lines and told

the general what occured. The general decided we have to wwipe out that

Japanese enclave. L company was to march through the jungle and hit them the

next morning from behind; K company was to march up the trail and hit

them from that side; and I company was to hit them from the sea. We

would then out-number the Japs. However nothing went right. A japonese

naval fleet came into the bay and shelled the trail and K company could

not get through, nor I company by sea. L company then proceded over a

ridge towards the village. I spotted a Japanese sniper climbing a tree about

350 yards ahead. T told Eddie Woods I see a Japanese and told him where.

Eddie asked me if I could take him out and I replied he is as good as

dead. I aimed at his throat and figured it would hit him in the middle

of his chest. I fired and we saw him fall. My leutenant came over to

scould me because we were supposed to be on a secret attack. I replied

secret hell look into the bay and you can see the whole Japanese fleet

shelling the coconut grove, and I company can not get trough, secret

hell they know we are coming. Neverthe less we continued towards the

village. A Japanese observation plane flew by. We were only about 150 strong

because our machine-gun platoon could not cross the steep and slipetry

banks of the Matanikau. Riflemen such as me had to throw thier rifles

ahead and crawl up as best we could, foot by foot.

L company entered the village and quikly dispatched the machine-guns

mounted in the trees and suddenly they came on a Banzai charge and one

marine yelled look at them coming. I looked and for a fraction of a

second did not see them and began shaking with fear but once my eyes

focused on them I settled down to a turkey shoot. The marines suffered 4

dead and many wounded but we wiped out the village. Upon walking on the

beach I stumbled on something. It was the forearm of a marine, part of

the Goettege Patrol. Other guys dug in the sand and found other bodies.

They were mutilated with arms,hands etc chopped off. We had to get out

of there fast because the Japanese navy was returning. They did not know of

the outcome of the battle; hence we did not dig up any evidence of

finding these bodies. Even though our officers reported it the navy

never acknowledge it it and were only listed as missing in action. In

1994 Col. Goettege's nephew wrote me and I reported what I had scene and

gave him names of other marines. The Navy still does not acknowledge

what happened there and suggested a marine detachment dig up the beach

for concrete evidence some 54 years later. Matanikau Village , now

called Honoria currently has a population of 45000. How can anything be

found now! "

Best regards and Semper Fidelis

Richard E. Milana

Kurt, you may very be onto something. The following is an exract from a letter His name is Richard Milana, and he was one of the first men to land on Guadalcanal. He is featured prominently in the excellent book "On the Canal". http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/m500450-print.aspx

The so-called Goettge Ambush is covered in one of those excellent monographs the Marines produced about the Pacific war: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/Guada...dalcanal-4.html - it does make it sound like Goettge's made some crucial command errors.

The entire monograph is worth reading: it was produced not long after the end of the war.

mono.jpg

Corpsmancollector

I agree Bob, the publications on 'Hyper War' are a fantastic insight into Marine Corps operations of WWII

Will

Ron,

I don't think we'd have seen prolific issue of 03A3s in the early stages of Guadalcanal, but it was possible, probably much more so than seeing an M1 in Marine hands at that stage.

In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing next week's installment!

Jon

First deliveries of the 03A3 was not until Dec 1942. Marines were last on the list to get them so theirs would have been issued much later.

I loved episode 1 and I find the nitpicking to be over the top. You guys remind me of someone seeing an incredibly beautiful woman, and instead of enjoying the view, spend all of your time trying to find some minor flaw in her skin.

best wishes,

jeff

I loved episode 1 and I find the nitpicking to be over the top. You guys remind me of someone seeing an incredibly beautiful woman, and instead of enjoying the view, spend all of your time trying to find some minor flaw in her skin.

best wishes,

jeff

Would you have complained if they were carrying M16s? At what level would you consider historical inaccuracies acceptable?

Would you have complained if they were carrying M16s? At what level would you consider historical inaccuracies acceptable?

I'm pretty sure the helmet chinstraps only had 10 rows of stitching. I'm not watching anymore! Boohooboohooo!

best wishes,

jeff

Again, this is why historians refer to collectors as "button counters" (and they don't mean it as a compliment) :)

One thing to keep in mind is that advisers to movies are just that: they offer advice about how things should, be but then it's up to the producers/costumers/property master, etc. to determine what to do with that advice. No producer is ever going to require 100% accuracy in historical details, usually because of cost and time issues. The Pacific is pretty much as close as you're ever going to see in any movie or theatrical production. I'd be willing to bet that probably way less than 5% of this forum's members would notice the rifle difference.

Now I'm waiting for the wailing when some closeup shows a rear-seam helmet :)

teufelhunde.ret

best wishes,

jeff

Well said Jeff... :thumbsup:

[/quo

I was happy they had the marines carrying Springfields rather than Garands, even if they technically were the wrong model. Long ago I realized that these movies were not being produced by collectors from the forums( as if we as collectors can even agree on everything :rolleyes: ) and as such, a certain amount of liberties would have to be taken re: inaccuracies. I am thankful that Hollywoods attention to detail, while not perfect, is better than it ever has been!

best wishes,

jeff

I watched episode number one last night.I am not nit picking as I really dont care.Its Hollywood and no matter how well researched,advised,documented...its a movie and not real life.Its an interpretation of the event based on the writings of the books put out by the authors,paid historians,and Hollywood directors.This said Hollywood will change it to suit the agenda they see most fit.Yes egas were worn on collars(and on army pattern shor billed hbt caps) stenciled rank and unit desinations too.Maybe not on large scale but it was done.

I was only anwering a question posed by a member about the issue of the O3A3.

What really gets me is how people smother these veterans now at events to be in the ring with the individuals.Is it for true intrest in history??or is this to get a signed item to watch it gain in value??Dont get me wrong.I have spoken to hundreds of vets.Listened to stories from them and enjoyed everyminute.They all are heros to me and should be recognized as such and should have been long ago.I have read countless books by veterans pertaining to there service.Most of which were read years prior to any movie or hint of fame.By buying a prop,dressing up or getting a signature will not put you in the moment or walk in his shoes.

All said if the series brings to light the struggle in the pacific which I have alway felt was never given the coverage and glitz as Normandy I believe this is more imprtant than a few loose threads.

RON

Not to get too deep, but again, it’s a matter of perspective. I feel we have an entire generation who doesn’t understand the true meaning of valor, honor or sacrifice. Or that going to war is not something glamorous or trivial, since you need to live with the consequences long after the fighting ends.

Back in the day, it was easy for me to learn these concepts, since family members and their friends were still around from WWI and WWII service and would talk about the acts others had done that made these concepts real …. I always found it interesting that they would never talk about their own acts using these words; always others. And you could tell their lives were changed because of what they felt they needed to do … sometimes you could see it with very little said.

Fast forward to today. Unfortunately, most kids now learn the importance of these concepts thru movies and television … unfortunate, but it is what it is. So any studio that can help make these concepts real for future generations deserves more praise than criticism. My guess is it’s a ton easier to make money producing an episode of “My Sweet 16” on MTV than to create a series trying to make these concepts real for a large audience … which I truly think is the purpose of this series.

Sorry if this is a bit too philosophical, but again, it’s one (old) collector’s opinion, and why he started saving the “stuff” from being pitched 40+ years ago.

Tim

Back in July of 2008, a team of university scientists and students returned to Guadalcanal to try to find the remains of the patrol, using some recently discovered aerial photographs taken immediately after the battle of Guadalcanal. The photos were found in the Bishop Museum in Honolulu. They were unsuccessful in finding any remains; however, they did discover the area had a surprisely high water table. That could mean the remains were buried in shallow graves, making them vulnerable to a typhoon that swept over the island in 1958 that dramatically altered the shape of the local beaches.

Tim