Re-release of SOG Across the fence

pwmiraldi1967

pwmiraldi1967

Tilt dropped by yesterday out of the blue to tell me the book "Across the fence" willbe out by march 15, im not sure of the price yet, but there are alot of photos including 10 I gave him of his first mission with ST idaho under the famed 1-0 Spider Parks, these photos were bought from Paul diegan about 5 years ago, which i gave Tilt and luckily paul still ahs the original with dates and naes on the back, i told Tilt to credit P. Diegan not me since they wernt miine, still really cool to see the new book before it goes to print! And what an honor to have a real SOG 1-0 in my home!!! Doesnt get any cooler than that!! I had him I.D. a CISO sleeping bag he picked up at FOB-4 in 1969, had him handwrite a letter saying it was his :)

too cool!!

paul

357.jpg

wwwwwwwwmikeDooleydrawing005.jpg

349.jpg

332.jpg

356.jpg

I think this is the best written, first person account of what it was like to be a member of a SOG recon team. With his excellent prose, John Meyer throughly captures the thoughts and emotions of his recon team, both in camp and "over the fence". Highly recommended!

This was one of the best first person books I have ever read concerning Vietnam. I read it last year after SOS in less than 2 days. I typically never read books that fast, but this one "pulled me in".

pwmiraldi1967
This was one of the best first person books I have ever read concerning Vietnam. I read it last year after SOS in less than 2 days. I typically never read books that fast, but this one "pulled me in".

I agree, I could not put this book down!!!! Ive re-read it 4 times can't wait till it comes out so I can read it again, so glad he's adding photos as well as parts written by Lynn Black and The Frenchman too

Future Radio Tech

:thumbsup: Definitely first on my reading list now I read the book SOG by John Plaster through this winter (hopefully its the last of my winter reading :nerv0003:) and now Im addicted to SOG but hearing about the SOG in CoD Black Ops at school is really annoying I know Im getting off topic but just the other day I had someone at my school in 7th grade same as me ask "how many cartridges did SOG men carry for their under barrel flame throwers?" and at this I held back the urge to hit him and walked away and then just the other week I had another kid in 7th grade ask me if "SOG men would mount grenade launcher on FAMAS's and how many attachments that SOG men could mount on their guns because he thinks that only being able to mount an ACOG sight and under barrel flamethrower on his FAMAS is not historically accurate" Well off of my rant about video game educated morons who are too lazy to put down the controller and pick up a book because "reading isnt fun" It looks like a good book and Ill definitely pick up a copy this march :thumbsup: Oh and one last thing about video game addicts some kid told me that he knew more than me by not reading because he knows how many under barrel flamethrower cartridges SOG men carried and how the Viet Cong assaulted Khe Sahn and almost over ran it but sgt.woods saved the day with a well placed air strike (I guess sgt.woods is a character based off of a real SOG man :lol: I got a real kick outta that)

pwmiraldi1967
:thumbsup: Definitely first on my reading list now I read the book SOG by John Plaster through this winter (hopefully its the last of my winter reading :nerv0003:) and now Im addicted to SOG but hearing about the SOG in CoD Black Ops at school is really annoying I know Im getting off topic but just the other day I had someone at my school in 7th grade same as me ask "how many cartridges did SOG men carry for their under barrel flame throwers?" and at this I held back the urge to hit him and walked away and then just the other week I had another kid in 7th grade ask me if "SOG men would mount grenade launcher on FAMAS's and how many attachments that SOG men could mount on their guns because he thinks that only being able to mount an ACOG sight and under barrel flamethrower on his FAMAS is not historically accurate" Well off of my rant about video game educated morons who are too lazy to put down the controller and pick up a book because "reading isnt fun" It looks like a good book and Ill definitely pick up a copy this march :thumbsup: Oh and one last thing about video game addicts some kid told me that he knew more than me by not reading because he knows how many under barrel flamethrower cartridges SOG men carried and how the Viet Cong assaulted Khe Sahn and almost over ran it but sgt.woods saved the day with a well placed air strike (I guess sgt.woods is a character based off of a real SOG man :lol: I got a real kick outta that)

AMEN my brother!!! LOL your very well read and spoken for a 7th grader Sir!! I agree, Black-Ops is a total farce! sadley, I lent some gear to the creators, who used it, but then started talking about flamethrowers and Urban camo, body armor and Ghilie suits and I just had to walk away in disgust!!!!! Never fails, now we have young people believing this is true history!

Besides it wasnt the VC that almost over ran Khe Sahn but the NVA and the one and only human wave assault against the camp was repelled by 2 Ameican advisors and the brave soldiers of the 39th ARVN Rangers!!! Not to mention the constant probing of FOB-3 and the SOG men, and the fall of Lang Vei by tanks and NVA infantry!! Never any mention of that, just Marines this and Marines that!! anyway, glad to see someone is reading books still!!!!!

paul

Who is publishing the re-print ? "Real War Stories" has gone under right ?

It's called SOG Publishing and I'm pretty sure it's Tilt's deal. That was my understanding.

TrenchfootJoe66
It's called SOG Publishing and I'm pretty sure it's Tilt's deal. That was my understanding.

Any ides if they are going to re-print any of the other Real War Stories titles ? I love those books and have all of them but they are really poorly made and several have fallen apart. My treasured copy of "We Few" fell prey to my dog when she was a puppy. Ive kept it all together in a bag but I would love to replace it. And no I didnt have to follow her around with said bag to get it all back. But I would have. :thumbsup:

pwmiraldi1967
Any ides if they are going to re-print any of the other Real War Stories titles ? I love those books and have all of them but they are really poorly made and several have fallen apart. My treasured copy of "We Few" fell prey to my dog when she was a puppy. Ive kept it all together in a bag but I would love to replace it. And no I didnt have to follow her around with said bag to get it all back. But I would have. :thumbsup:

lol, I wish they would re-release those books they were all great. I think Tilt is going through Levin Publishing Group, LLC, which did his 2nd book, On the Ground, but I will check!!

paul

TrenchfootJoe66

Paul, Longhorn et al,

Any rumors, hints or informed guesses on any upcoming SOG books ? I know Paul has got some stuff in the hopper but I was wondering about 1st person type books. And when is someone going to write a biography on Bob Howard ??? I really would like to read that soldiers story.

JW

Hey I worked on COD Black Opps ans all I can say is this ........."its only a game "

Its like saying Pac Man is real ,or Super Mario .....

They both have tools and use them .

Simple .

owen

TrenchfootJoe66

Owen

I thought about buying that game but Im kinda burned out on 1st person shooters. I read some of your earlier comments on the game. Sounds a little goofy but like you said, its just a game. I used to play Plasters SOG shooter for s**ts and giggles but it got old real fast. Too bad, a great SOG shooter would be alot of fun. Thess days if I play computer games at all I play tactical simulations like Combat Mission or flight sims like Strike Fighters. Every now and then I also play Silent Hunter, a great U-Boat sim. My job eats up so much of my time any more I just dont have much time for anything else. Even my collecting habits have suffered. I havent bought a decent peice of militaria in weeks. I thought being a Private Detective would give me more time for myself but I work more hours at this job than I ever have at anything else. Its alot of fun but its consumed my life.

JW

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Across the Fence is a great book :thumbsup:

Have one of the old copies that realwarstories printed, but that couldn´t stop me from ordering one of the new printed copys from Tilt last week.

Ordered a second one On The Ground at the same time. Allways good to have 2 copys of all your SOG books ;)

Regards// M

• 1 year later...
Corpsmancollector

I think this is the best written, first person account of what it was like to be a member of a SOG recon team. With his excellent prose, John Meyer throughly captures the thoughts and emotions of his recon team, both in camp and "over the fence". Highly recommended!

I just wanted to ‘bump’ this topic after reading ‘Across the Fence’ recently. I can’t agree more with everyone’s comments about this book…It is fantastic to say the least and definitely one of the best accounts of SOG operations in Vietnam that I have read. John S. Meyer has a great way with words which makes the book easy to read, it is thoroughly detailed in terms of what equipment recon teams used and really ‘pulls you in’ on those high speed operations where you feel like you’re ‘across the fence’ running recon!

Can’t say enough good things about it and to boot I read the Kindle version which was ridiculously cheap via Amazon. Highly recommended reading!

Now to being ‘On the Ground’…

Will

• 1 month later...
Fender Rhodes

I have to echo Will's comments. I have read both additions and while the original was very engaging, the 2nd edition is so much more well-rounded. Plus the additional photos provide real glimpses into SOG.

Well done Tilt!

R/

FR