Artillery chevrons

mvmhm

I got these chevrons today for a little less than $5.00...they were advertised as Indian War period...but I'm thinking they might even be as early as the Civil War; I thought for as cheap as I got them it wouldn't be a killer if they are not CW era.......every reference book I have, and the couple of original examples I have from the SpanAm have a very tiny space between chevrons....looking through "Echoes of Glory", it looks like there was a lot less standardization on the space between chevrons...in fact, there's a picture of a Confederate uniform that has chevrons that look identical to these, with a large space between the chevrons....any thoughts????

Mark sends

post-3423-1297910550.jpg

post-3423-1297910601.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nothing like these were used by the U.S. Army post 1872. They do "resemble" Civil War chevrons somewhat, but they don't appear to be that old. Probably for a CW reenactor.

Kurt

Nothing like these were used by the U.S. Army post 1872. They do "resemble" Civil War chevrons somewhat, but they don't appear to be that old. Probably for a CW reenactor.

Kurt

I agree with Kurt. They look like reenactor repos, and not all that good either. They definately are NOT 1872 Johnson pattern chevrons.

Reenactor repros. Real CW chevrons were eleptical.

Steve Hesson

Steve,

You can take a look at one of these at next month's Patriot Freedom Festival///they have the distinctive "old" odor and are moth eaten...not sure they're reenactor's stripes though, and the photos are kind of screwy as for the colors......

Mark sends

They wereen't straight, they had a bit of a curv.

A lot of them did, but some didn't. The red Artillery sergeant stripes and the blue Infantry quartermaster sergeant stripes are from the "Color Plates" section at the front of Emerson's book "Chevrons". Both are identified as Civil War. Both curved and straight chevrons can be seen in the photo from Howard Lanham's website "Union Army Uniforms and Insignia of the American Civil War 1861-1865" [http://howardlanham.tripod.com/newindex.html].

post-8076-1301588462.jpgpost-8076-1301588521.jpg

post-8076-1301588556.jpg

A lot of them did, but some didn't. The red Artillery sergeant stripes and the blue Infantry quartermaster sergeant stripes are from the "Color Plates" section at the front of Emerson's book "Chevrons". Both are identified as Civil War. Both curved and straight chevrons can be seen in the photo from Howard Lanham's website "Union Army Uniforms and Insignia of the American Civil War 1861-1865" [http://howardlanham.tripod.com/newindex.html].

post-8076-1301588462.jpgpost-8076-1301588521.jpg

post-8076-1301588556.jpg

OK, you win.

Steve Hesson