M3 Rubberized Medic Bag

Justin

Hi, can someone tell me about the stamping on this rubberized m3 medic bag? This is the first time I've seen one with this stamping on the inside flap. :think: all the rubberized ones I've seen and own are dated 1968 but I've never before seen one with this type of stamping. It's just a DSA, really hard to make out, could it be a pre 68, 67 era rubberized bag?

post-2305-1297746555.jpg

Are you are inquiring about the "contract number"?

In the post, detailing the evolution of "contract numbers", I did not get into specifics concerning class codes. For example: in a PII of "DSA 100-67-9999" the "100" is the class code which indicates clothing [including individual equipment]. On the FY1968 contracted bag [that you posted] the "120" class code indicates first aid items [DSA 120-68-C-2919].

During FY1965 [01 July 1964 through 30 June 1965] the "contract number" is typically "DSA-1-9999" [there are five digit contract numbers, FY1965 is one of the few fiscal years that this occured]. The "1" in the sequence is the class code and during FY1965 "1" indicates clothing [including individual equipment] whereas "2" indicates first aid items. The single-digit class code was added during FY1962 when the DSA took over and tried to simplify the "contract number" system. Of course during FY1966 the class code is changed to the familar 100, 120, etc. So your bag is a FY1965 contract [DSA-2-10596].

There are many other class codes. I used to have a list of them but for some reason I cannot locate it.

Are you are inquiring about the "contract number"?

In the post, detailing the evolution of "contract numbers", I did not get into specifics concerning class codes. For example: in a PII of "DSA 100-67-9999" the "100" is the class code which indicates clothing [including individual equipment]. On the FY1968 contracted bag [that you posted] the "120" class code indicates first aid items [DSA 120-68-C-2919].

During FY1965 [01 July 1964 through 30 June 1965] the "contract number" is typically "DSA-1-9999" [there are five digit contract numbers, FY1965 is one of the few fiscal years that this occured]. The "1" in the sequence is the class code and during FY1965 "1" indicates clothing [including individual equipment] whereas "2" indicates first aid items. The single-digit class code was added during FY1962 when the DSA took over and tried to simplify the "contract number" system. Of course during FY1966 the class code is changed to the familar 100, 120, etc. So your bag is a FY1965 contract [DSA-2-10596].

There are many other class codes. I used to have a list of them but for some reason I cannot locate it.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

pwmiraldi1967
Hi, can someone tell me about the stamping on this rubberized m3 medic bag? This is the first time I've seen one with this stamping on the inside flap. :think: all the rubberized ones I've seen and own are dated 1968 but I've never before seen one with this type of stamping. It's just a DSA, really hard to make out, could it be a pre 68, 67 era rubberized bag?

Hey Justin,

what Ive found over the years anything without a date, say DSA-100- is always 1967 dated, but like I always say, "No date is the correct date" lol, but yea its 1967-68 era bag

• 3 weeks later...
Watching 1965 color footage and a combat medic is using a rubberized bag. Not canvas.
After you corresponded with Craig, he and I discussed the development of this case: the "rubberized" case was standardized on 17 June 1958. Which would definately make it available prior to the Vietnam War.

Off topic - The later nylon duck case [not shown in this thread] was not standardized until 14 April 1971 [replacing the "rubberized" case]. Craig said the earliest nylon duck case he has is FY1972 dated.

After you corresponded with Craig, he and I discussed the development of this case: the "rubberized" case was standardized on 17 June 1958. Which would definately make it available prior to the Vietnam War.

Yeah, I was not disagreeing, or questioning you guys, last night I was watching a DVD and saw 2 of the rubberized bags in 65 footage

Off topic - The later nylon duck case [not shown in this thread] was not standardized until 14 April 1971 [replacing the "rubberized" case]. Craig said the earliest nylon duck case he has is FY1972 dated.

I'm trying to keep a running list of medic bag gear dates. I haven't seen this date come up yet where did you reference it from I would like to add it to my list.

Thanks

Doc

I'm trying to keep a running list of medic bag gear dates. I haven't seen this date come up yet where did you reference it from I would like to add it to my list.

The "rubberized" case was standardized under mil-spec MIL-C-16761A CASE, MEDICAL INSTRUMENT AND SUPPLY SET, NONRIGID, NO.3, EMPTY dated 17 June 1958. It was cancelled 10 November 1971 [MIL-C-16761A Cancellation Notice 1] to be replaced by the nylon duck case.

The nylon duck case was standardized under mil-spec MIL-C-36856 CASE, MEDICAL INSTRUMENT AND SUPPLY SET, NYLON, NON-RIGID, NO. 3 dated 26 September 1972 which includes the original specifications for the case dictated in Defense Medical Purchase Description No.8 dated 14 April 1971 and Modification No.1 dated 03 March 1972.

The "rubberized" case was standardized under mil-spec MIL-C-16761A CASE, MEDICAL INSTRUMENT AND SUPPLY SET, NONRIGID, NO.3, EMPTY dated 17 June 1958. It was cancelled 10 November 1971 [MIL-C-16761A Cancellation Notice 1] to be replaced by the nylon duck case.

The nylon duck case was standardized under mil-spec MIL-C-36856 CASE, MEDICAL INSTRUMENT AND SUPPLY SET, NYLON, NON-RIGID, NO. 3 dated 26 September 1972 which includes the original specifications for the case dictated in Defense Medical Purchase Description No.8 dated 14 April 1971 and Modification No.1 dated 03 March 1972.

That's interesting. Until now I have been under the impression that the bags were cotton duck twill (or whatever that fabric is) until the rubberized bags came out in 1968. I had even heard some medics saying that they wish they had the rubberized ones.

Looking at all the m3 bags that I have the rubberized ones do have DSA numbers the others do not never really noticed that. But there are a bunch that dont have any markings at all.

Ok I just re read some of this stuff.

I see that you have the rubberized ones starting in 58 and the nylon ones starting in the 70s what about the heavy duty canvas ones, any idea on them?

Thanks

Doc

craig_pickrall

Which HD Canvas bag are you asking about? The WW2 style or the M3 bag in use by the Korean War?

Which HD Canvas bag are you asking about? The WW2 style or the M3 bag in use by the Korean War?

Some are what I believe to be Korean war era as the do not have the snap. But some have a snap and are the exact same as the rubberized m3 bag but made of a heavy canvas.

craig_pickrall

I've got both of those you are asking about. The info is on my main computer and I won't have access until tomorrow night. I have photos of the KW era bag done I think but I have not taken photos of the other one.

• 9 years later...
On 3/7/2011 at 8:52 PM, sgtmonroe said:

Old thread I know and I´m not sure if I posted this somewhere already but I have a 1971 dated Nylon M3 Medic Bag.

If more pics needed let me know.

IMG_1726.JPG