30th Division KIA Heart

TLeo

Well, It looks like I have stumbled into collecting 30th Division hearts and things so I thought I would post a new one. The last one I got happend to be from the 119th Inf Regt of the 30th , now I have this one on the way. It is from a soldier KIA from the 117th Inf Regt of the 30th Division. He was a SSGT. KIA Oct 16 1944. It's an honor to take care of these two Hearts from these men. I'm looking forward to the files with it and I'll post some of those when it all arrives if there's anything that really stands out.

post-5081-1297723873.jpg

post-5081-1297724236.jpg

post-5081-1297724284.jpg

I used to own that Heart. IIRC, he was KIA outside of Aachen and he's buried in Winter Haven, Florida. His mother was adamant that "Old Hickory Division" be placed on his headstone.

I used to own that Heart. IIRC, he was KIA outside of Aachen and he's buried in Winter Haven, Florida. His mother was adamant that "Old Hickory Division" be placed on his headstone.

Thanks for that information about his final resting place. From what I have read about the divisions location at that time, somewhere near Aachen would be correct.

This Heart arrived today and is even nicer in person than the pictures show. His IDPF was with it and showed he was MIA for a period between 16 October and 22 Dec 1944 when apparently his remains were located. He was then buried in Margraten Cemetery and his mother had him returned home for burial. Some sad correspondence was included between her and the Army regarding return of his belongings, including an ID bracelet that was not returned. Some of the items were apparently blood stained, but she wanted them as well. RIP Sgt. Reeves