Uniform grouping collectors... What to do? What to do?

wildcat123

What to focus on???  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which area to focus on..

• General - US ETO
    • General - US Northwest Europe (excluding MTO)
    • More Specific - USAAF
    • Very Specific - USAAF Bombers

Okay, I have a question for the more seasoned collectors on the forum. I've been collecting militaria since I was about 10 years old (I'm 30 now). I started out buying everything I could get my hands on (who didn't?). I have now narrowed my focus to US, WWII, named items (primarly uniform groupings) from the European Theater of Operations (NW Europe, North Africa, MTO included). I have a side collection of named Kansas Purple Hearts and Kansas uniform groupings that I will always maintain.

My wife recently quit her job to stay home with the kiddos and money is rather tight. I won't be making any more crazy, spur of the moment purchases on websites or the forum. Do I need to narrow down my focus and sell the items that don't fit to maintain my sanity? With my current focus, there are tons and tons of items that I could potentially purchase every day and I don't trust my self control. I really like the variety that my collection now contains, but see the merits of narrowing it down as well.

In the last couple years I have seen the AAF portion of my collection grow a ton. My grandpa was a B-24 gunner so the AAF and bombers specifically hold a special place for me. However, I have accumulated some non AAF stuff that would be impossible to replace... (of course I could have a hell of a good time spending the money these groupings brought in)...

Advice??? Comments??? All help is appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, and feel free to vote in the poll if I set it up right. :thumbsup:

The more specific you get with your collecting, the harder it will be to find and make purchases. Collecting 10th Mt. Div. stuff has always been the core of my hobby. However, when money was flowing, I was branched out all over the place. Now, with two little kids and my job being up in the air, I have sold off a large number of things and have the collection narrowed down to 10th Mt. Div. items and some WWII fighter and bomber pilot groupings. Quite frankly, I think the collection looks alot better now that I have it trimmed down and more focused on a couple themes.

If money's tight, you've got to focus. You'll end up blowing money every day till Sunday on groups that are "cool". You'll go broke (and in debt) if you keep trying to buy everything out there that's cool or interesting. Remember - there were far more service men (and women) in WW2 than you could ever afford to buy...there will ALWAYS be a neverending flow of stuff, trust me.

Focus on one area, and buy groups that personally you like in that specific genre...you can never go wrong with that.

Dave

Agree with the above. I focused on AAF but, like you, picked up any WWII thing I could afford at first. Even if your focus, there's always more out there or more cost to get those illusive specialty items. Sticking to one niche also keeps you abreast of the fakes. I wouldn't go near AB now unless I was buying from families.

I know some will move in their interest from one branch, unit, or era to another. In that case one area might not hold your interest for long. I have never regretted specializing in AAF but I will do that with hobbies but not with the area of interest within militaria collecting.

Saw it once but forgot where you are. We should compare junk!.......... Wait that didn't sound right.

Dave

KC

teufelhunde.ret
... I have a side collection of named Kansas Purple Hearts and Kansas uniform groupings that I will always maintain.

You already have the answer... w/ the rest stay focused & you can't go wrong!

Cobrahistorian
I vote to sell all your AAF stuff to me. That wasn't in the poll.

I voted for that one too, but i could have sworn it said to ME!

Seriously though, stay focused. I'm dealing with the same thing now!

You already have the answer... w/ the rest stay focused & you can't go wrong!

I won't clutter your poll with my vote, but I will give you the "old dog" advice.

Stick to your focus, sell off what is not important to you, and spend only at the right time.

There will be things to buy from time to time, I know of one grouping waiting for you. ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input (and would love to hear more).

I don't remember selling my AAF stuff being an option, haha :thumbsup:

I voted for that one too, but i could have sworn it said to ME!

Seriously though, stay focused. I'm dealing with the same thing now!

Thanks for telling them to sell to Me.

Cordially,

Me :rolleyes:

Try to stay focussed, I'm sure there is still a lot to collect on that level.

I've been narrowing my focus for years and have finally got it down to 4 distinct areas but, I still spend too much money. I'm wrestling with the last four as to which one goes next... what to do, what to do????? I guess I'm of absolutely no help here except to say: I feel your pain. :pinch:

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Unlike a lot on here, I collect earlier (WW1 and before) items, with a focus on WW1. Yeah, at first, I'd buy anything and everything, ignoring the advice "buy quality" at times. As my collecting as "matured" so to speak, I've found myself focusing on things that I can research. An un-named tunic, no matter how nice or rare is just that, un-named. As I've aged, the term "buy quality" really hits home. You'll see parts of several collections on this board that the term "quality" really applies. So, my advice is to focus, and buy quality. As for what to collect in WW2, I couldn't say, it all still falls into the "surplus" category for me! LOL That was my dad and his buddies. Dang, I'm old!

John

1. If you have anything really, really cool, you should sell it to me, or let me store it at my house for you indefinately. :)

2. Why focus? By that, I mean......sell some stuff to get a warchest together, and look for targets of opportunity. Sell off those targets when something comes along that you REALLY want. That's more or less my philosophy.

For instance......I like ID'd groups.....WW1 and WW2....combat related. Lately I've turned up some super-quality Air Corps groups.....I'm not focused on AAF, but these were over-the-top cool....so I grab them. Next time maybe it'll be a nice doughboy group.....who knows. I'm trying to focus on quality more than a specific era.

fwiw...........

Another criteria I have attempted to impose on myself is the following:

A grouping must contain:

1. Uniform with original insignia (I try to leave everything untouched and don't like to replace insignia)

2. A photo of the veteran

3. Documentation (preferably a discharge copy)

This hasn't always worked out and I do enjoy some research...

I've been collecting for 35 years & have always focused on my core of RNZAF though over the years, like many others, i've branched off as interesting groups present themselves. U-Boat, Luft Paratrooper, Glider Pilot Regiment, Heer Pz uniform & insignia haved passed through my hands but i've managed to keep my collection of Heer, Luft & WSS assault gunner uniform.

And like most collectors who have responded to this posting, i get much more enjoyment from a focused collection, branching off causes you to take your eye off the ball & qualitity peices get lost amongst the oddments.

So stay focused & shed a bit a bit of gear, you won't regret it!!

American Heritage

The words of that old song, "Joe sure knows how to live" comes to mind....not sure if this answers any questions but it is worth thinking on...there's many important things in life - and then there are unimportant things like militaria but it sure does sweeten things up from time to time.

Blue monday morning at the factory gate,

Almost time to clock in

The boys are all betting that joe wouldn't show,

They'd seen him over the weekend

13 he had 4 new tires on that ol cadillac,

Betty the waitress, had some clothes in the back,

Dashboard full of road maps of mexico, joe knows how to live

He said women were made to love, money is made to spend

Life is something buddy , you will never live again

Oh I've got to admit it, joe sure knows how to live

By now they'll be down at the ocean,

He and betty stretched out somewhere

The only blue in his life, is the blue moonlite,

Bouncing off betty's blonde hair

Oh I can just see em rolling around in the sand,

I never thought, I was a jealous man,

But when I think what he's doing & what I'm not, oh I'm jealous a lot....

Now betty's back home with her mother,

Joe's back on the assembly line

But he brings in his pictures and his mexican hat,

Just to remind us sometimes....

Oh I've got to admit it, joe sure knows how to live

Oh I hate to admit it, joe sure knows how to live