Interesting variation P1937 HH Officer EGA

Leatherneck72

I have always liked the looks of this. This came off a Col's WW2 era blue cover. Interesting gold washed tone to entire back of the emblem. Does anyone else have any with the rope sticking way out?

Leatherneck72

post-1737-1190090650.jpg

That is a very unusual "fouling" style for this pattern H-H emblem. Until you posted this great variation, I had only seen this type of fouling on the fake junk the seller USNUSA peddles on eBay. It's obvious to me that your emblem is a good, solid original, so it's making me completely rethink my bias toward this fouling style. Thanks for posting this emblem!

Here is the one and only emblem I got stung on by this seller. Pretty close to the same fouling. If you look at his auctions, his photos are crummy and he also misrepresents sizes. He gave measurement for a large cover emblem and when this piece of cast junk showed up, it was a little larger than a dress collar emblem by maybe 1/16th of an inch.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1190157582.jpg

post-84-1190157594.jpg

Brian,

Your brother here... it looks as if whoever fouled the piece was experimenting with a new style of mounting it. Normally the rope cuts behind the anchor stock and wraps around the eye of the anchor once or twice and is finished off by brazening it in place or by tucking it under. This time, the wire which makes up the rope was a single piece of wire that was started at the anchor eye by wrapping around it, and twisting it while on the EGA. I see my maintenance Marines do the same technique with safety wire after working on a critical component in the aircraft. It is twisted via a pair of forceps that lock and grap the wire while a inner device is pulled that allows it to spin and twist the wire in one smooth pull. This is definitely a neat variation.

Mike

Yes, I remember this guy...you have to admit..for fakes, they are pretty decent. The cast appearance and solid rope are a dead giveaway.