Official WWII Hand Engraving? I think it might be.

KASTAUFFER

No disrepect intended Robin but us "old timers" know "FS condition" !! :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

Vic

OH NO !!!! I know who it is !!!! Does that mean I am a "OLD TIMER" : :lol: : ? I do feel a bit Old!!!! :pinch:

OK guys. You have teased me for 15+ years because of my love of crispy minty. I'll fess up to being a bit of a condition freak. However, I swear, one of the best things in life is the smell of tissue paper inside a white, cream colored, cardboard box that hasn't been opened in 65 years!

...........However, I swear, one of the best things in life is the smell of tissue paper inside a white, cream colored, cardboard box that hasn't been opened in 65 years!

Frank..........Thanks for stepping up to the plate.

We feel better now!!

OH YES!...........the NEW medal smell!! :lol:

I agree, Kurt. I don't own any with this engraving hand but like you say, they pop up too often to be coincidence. That said, it would seem that this engraver is less prolific than most perhaps as a result of his "creativity?". Maybe he didn't last long?.

Re. the POW group on Ebay. $3 GRAND!!?? Have I missed something or am I out of touch??

Cheers.

Rob

Someone just bought the pair for 2 grand!

http://cgi.ebay.com/P-O-W-Distinguished-Fl...=item3f07533356

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to "lift" this other fellow's pics of his group, so I will just put the link here.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=499527

Is this another example of this engraving style that this thread is about?

MW

No, Mike. The thread on WAF shows your typical large caps/small caps engraving. What the thread is about is engraving caps/small (or upper case/lower case) letters.

Ah, my bad, I see what you are saying Tom. I was keying in on the basic style of the lettering looking so different, just the way they look, as opposed to the caps / no caps. Do you suppose the engraving on the WAF medal is done by the same person? The style of the J and B is what caught my eye, seems similar to the style of letters on the ones in this thread, at least in the overall appearance.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if its possible that the engraver in this USMF thread was perhaps new or something, doing the engraving with no caps, no one caught it, then he was made to switch over to all caps? Or he made the all caps to lower case change on his own, later?

MW

I was curious about the PH on the WAF thread as well,,the name looks "normal"

but the initials??? it just struck me as odd,,,can anyone weigh in on this medal??

• 1 month later...

Another example from Vic from another NY boy. The date on the PH certificate is 1947, which could easily be when the PH medal was engraved as well.

Kurt

post_352_1302468660.jpg

I'm a believer, should this be referred to as "Stauffer Style" from now on?

I believe "Stauffer Style" has a nice ring too it!! :bravo:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

Wonderful examples of a unique engraving style! I was the lucky winner of the most recent example. I had my eye on it from when it was first put up on Eb-y. The lower case "y" is very distinctive.

It arrived today (very fast shipping and excellent packing from this fine seller). Nice deeper wooden case with Air Medal on 1 line, 2-cuts of ribbon and the companion ribbon bar and lapel device. Full wrap brooch, looks like it's right out of the woodwork. I thought I'd add a closer scan of the detail for this thread.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-1317937574.jpg

MilitaryWired
I'll be a conspiracy theorist just for the same of argument and for no other reason that that...

Could these all be the works of a very prolific faker? One who has done so many of these now that he has his own easily & quickly recognized "hand'? His work is perhaps close to originals that are of the well known engraving "hands" but not quite there yet, thus the entirely different look?

Perhaps the majority are for East Coat names because that is where all these men are buried, were found in old news articles, etc. and that is where the faker is also?

Again, I am not putting forth that as any opinion of mine either way, just being the devil's advocate, especially in light of the fact that it sounds as if none of these turned up with anything but the loose medals...

MW

I realize this is an old post, but I thought I should chime on on the Frederick W. Moschberger medals since the engraving was questioned. I purchased these medals from his son about a week before I listed them for sale. I did some checking at the time just to make sure, but I can vouch for the fact these were definitely from the Moschberger family. I hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

Here is a pair that just turned up to a POW from California. His real first name is "Bill ". The Purple Heart is officially small machine engraved.

oliver.jpg

This Air Medal doesn't have "Air Corps" spelled out but the shape of the letters (especially the "S") is very similar to the medals shown previously in this thread. The medal has a full wrap brooch on the ribbon.

post-10651-0-96509400-1358188196.jpg

• 2 years later...

Here's one I picked up at the Max show last year.

S Sgt John Spadone
458th BG, 752nd Squadron (Crew #13 B-24 Gator)
Serial #: 32573790
Pos: Flight Engineer
Info of flight crew: http://www.458bg.com/crew13mangerich.htm

Trained in Tonopah in late 1943.
Moved overseas with group in January 1944.
Official plane assigned to Crew #13 was Gator (nose art painted by John Spadone).
Crew flew most of their flights in another B-24, Fritzi.
Their 11th mission (April 9, 1944) was in aircraft Jayhawker.
-Jayhawker was the normal plane of F/O Harold W. Hetzler who's crew was lost March 23, 1944 in Fritzi)

Force landed in Sweden April 9, 1944.
Interned in Sweden 4/9/44 (Easter Sunday)

I did a more in depth post with additional images here.

post-855-0-82853600-1434290614.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...