John Wayne WWII films

Chris_B

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what our European and Latin American members of the forum think of John Wayne---Here in the states we grew up with the "Duke' and just accepted that he was the guy we all wanted to emulate but how do you guys see him?

Al

Today's print edition of the San Diego Union Tribune has a large photo of Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima on the cover of it North County edition (north San Diego County is the home of Camp Pendleton). The online edition at http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/fe...ig-screen-acti/ has a photo of an Iwo Jima vet who participated in the movie:

wayneut.jpg

• 1 month later...
He should have won an Oscar for the 1950's "The Searchers" movie. IMHO Not so much for "True Grit". But I do like that movie. I have never seen any Wayne movie that I did not like, just some more than others.

Terry

I think The Searchers is one of the best westerns ever made.

• 1 year later...
history-buff1944

I haven't a leading man today who measures up to the Duke. I've never watched one of his films that I didn't enjoy.

AMEN to the above.

history-buff1944

The only film that JW danced in was The Fighting Seabees (1944).

Has anyone ever saw a tree dance??? :thumbdown:

The Fighting Seabees was also one of two movies where JW dies. The other being The Cowboys.

He also danced in: The Alamo as well as in Rio Grande but in the uncut versions. Actually, you do see him do a short "jig" in The Alamo in the version everyone has seen.

Also, he died in at least 4 movies and was a corpse in a casket in one of his silents:

1) Sands of Iwo Jima.

2) Wake of the Red Witch.

3) The Fighting Seabees.

4) The Alamo.

5) The Cowboys.

6) The Shootist.

• 1 month later...

John Wayne was a heck of an actor no matter what he played but he liked the military (even though he did not serve) as with his movie 'The Green Berets', he was honoring the men of the Special Forces and he believed that we were doing the right thing at the time. He only won one Oacar but was an imposing figure.

About John Wayne dancing: He's also cutting a rug with Anna Lee at the Washington's Birthday dance early in Fort Apache. The tune is an original composed for the film by Richard Hageman.

fort_apache_dance.jpg

in harms way was one of my best wayne flicks. i think it was during this he found out he had cancer.

best western for me the shootists. his last. he was really ill here and missed many days of shooting

others Rio Bravo and El Dorado. all and more in my collection

Good spot Justin--i'd forgot about Fort Apache--even if one of my all time favorite movies.

Mine too. A lot more going on there than a simple cavalry vs. Indians story.

in harms way was one of my best wayne flicks. i think it was during this he found out he had cancer.

best western for me the shootists. his last. he was really ill here and missed many days of shooting

others Rio Bravo and El Dorado. all and more in my collection

All great. My favorite of hs war moves is They Were Expendable, and come to think of it, he dances in that one, too. With Donna Reed.

Justin B.

history-buff1944

Mine too. A lot more going on there than a simple cavalry vs. Indians story.

All great. My favorite of hs war moves is They Were Expendable, and come to think of it, he dances in that one, too. With Donna Reed.

Justin B.

Im always good for a simpkle straight Cowboys and Cavalry movie. another i love--also one of Dukes movies is: Rio Grande.