repacement WW2 medals

Psychman

My father served in the antiaircraft command during WW2 and was in the Pacific Theater during the Ryukyus campaign on Okinawa Shima. I have quite a few of his medals and patches, but I am missing ones that I know he was awarded from documentation I received from the National Personnel Records Center.

These include the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and ribbon, Bronze Star, Victory Medal and American Theater Ribbon.

Will the US government reissue these medals or is the best I can do is buy some reproductions?

Thanks alot guys.

kyhistorian01

If your father is still alive you can type out a letter in his name and have him sign it to request a reissue of medals. If he is deceased the government won't isuue them to you. They changed the criteria for issueing medals a while back and now not even immediate next of kin can request them. ( It has to be the veteran) Also the medals you can find out there are not reproductions, they are current stikes, which is what you would get from the government today if they reissued the medals. If the medals you have are WWII period you can probably find period examples for sale as they were using originals as reissues thought the 1960s or so. They may cost a little more but would match the other medals you have as far as period goes.

Some of the Guys on the forum can direct you where to find them I am sure. If your father is alive and you can have him sign for a reissure you can send the request to the National Personnel Records Center and they will forward it to the proper place. Thats what I did when I sent away for my fathers medals a couple of years ago. I hope this helps.

Robert

If your father is still alive you can type out a letter in his name and have him sign it to request a reissue of medals. If he is deceased the government won't isuue them to you. They changed the criteria for issueing medals a while back and now not even immediate next of kin can request them. ( It has to be the veteran).

Robert

This is NOT true. Veterans or their next of kin can request one full replacement set of medals and decorations.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html