Blouse Sniper ETO 1944

bravo_2_zero

I've been keeping this quiet , the only other person who knows was Owen.

Listed on UK ebay under mens jacket as a Lads mens army jacket 10 day listing.

Anyways here is what £70 GBP buys you

There was 1 other bidder sniffing it and kept bidding up but he gave up :w00t: :w00t:

post-2821-1297523548.jpg

post-2821-1297523557.jpg

post-2821-1297523575.jpg

post-2821-1297523821.jpg

post-2821-1297523835.jpg

I have not seen or heard of one of these before, it sure looks nice. What kind of information can you share with us on these shirts?

Thanks

Well I don't know myself as I'm not a ww2 collector. There are 2 others on this site already with more info on them. As far as I'm aware these were withdrawn from active service due to close colors to the SS uniforms and the blue on blue that followed. This looks dead stock with slight storage stains and smell.

I don't have my copy to hand at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this type of blouse is featured in the book "WWII G.I. in colour".

Sabrejet

I had one of these with the trousers, but missing the label, back in about 2004. As I recall, it brought over $400 on eBay back then...I have no idea what they're worth now. That's an incredible find though!!!!

I had one of these with the trousers, but missing the label, back in about 2004. As I recall, it brought over $400 on eBay back then...I have no idea what they're worth now. That's an incredible find though!!!!

Oakleaf militaria has one on for $2200 minus tag

http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/US_Uniforms.html

0712US-U1 - WWII US Army blouse for ETO sniper suit - It's amazing to inspect these early U.S. Army camouflage articles being the forerunners of the camouflage clothing worn today. This piece features two printed, reversible sides (Summer and Fall) on heavy cotton drill fabric. The field blouse has two deep breast pockets secured by a single button on each side. The blouse is in mint condition. $2200. More Photos

Oakleaf militaria has one on for $2200 minus tag

http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/US_Uniforms.html

They also have an AAF officer's uniform with a caterpillar club patch on it for $2200...that's a $75 uniform with a $200 patch (maybe) equalling one heck of a profit margin.

And a plain-jane AAF jacket with an not-matching postwar belt on it for $900. :blink:

Bottom line...I wouldn't go off their prices. They're high on something...

I don't have my copy to hand at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this type of blouse is featured in the book "WWII G.I. in colour".

Sabrejet

Same as in the book.

They also have an AAF officer's uniform with a caterpillar club patch on it for $2200...that's a $75 uniform with a $200 patch (maybe) equalling one heck of a profit margin.

And a plain-jane AAF jacket with an not-matching postwar belt on it for $900. :blink:

Bottom line...I wouldn't go off their prices. They're high on something...

yeah i tend not to go with dealers myself but on a google sweep that was the only site i could find that listed on via a search.

Ebay will give a real value to this but it's not going back on :lol:

Andrew Scott at AMS had one for sale at Stoneleigh. Think it was £800 or something like that.

Rare beastie, that one. Well done!!!

Cheers,

Glen.

Saw that glen. tagged @ £850.....

Tim.

Whew...Bravo, you stole that; it's already been said, but it's worth repeating: that is ONE RARE SON-OF-A-GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a super piece of history!

I might be an idiot, but I am trying to learn. Doesn't the arrow mean it's British Made? Or have I lost it?

You are not an idiot, that is precisely the case. You will probably not be able to see but the weave is not hbt either.

I have often wondered whether these were issued indiscriminately alongside the HBT two piece suits that were used in Normandy for a while or whether they were held on unit stocks and issued, as the label suggests, to snipers..

That's a super piece of history!

I might be an idiot, but I am trying to learn. Doesn't the arrow mean it's British Made? Or have I lost it?

No you haven't lost it haha, as soon as I saw it I was like GOD SAVE THE QUEEN? To me it honestly looks like it is either American made for the British or British made for the Americans.... not really sure this isnt close to my area of expertise. And quite frankly I know nothing of Allied sniper uniforms during WWII.

From what I understand from snipers in the British army during Normandy, they were not snipers but more recon troops. They wore para smocks or windproof smocks\suits. I would then guess this garment was British made for American troops. I'm guessing it could be a small production run and made locally rather than getting shipped over from the states. Could also be some were made in America then Germans sunk the supply ship and these were replacements ?

Anders Heintz

Very nice find!! It is always a bit extra exciting when you find a good "hidden" deal, but even more so when it is a rarity such as this!

I wonder if the arrow has any historic connection with the British markings on canteens during the Napoleonic Wars and the Victorian Era, when the canteens had an upward pointing arrow between the letters B and O, standing for Board of Ordenance.

British made for American, no doubt about that.

No odd phenomonen that.. M1928 pack systems, canteen covers, aid pouches, belts, ammo bags, in fact pretty much all web gear was British made for US as well as the heavy wool ETO jackets and rare matching trousers.

These sniper suits were just one more thing..

As well as British made for US, US troops, particularly USAAF also utilised British made for British battledress, boots and other such items particularly in North Africa and amongst the 8th and 9th Air force.

The use of British Flight kit by USAAF is a topic on its own.

Johan Willaert

While it isn't always clear on period pictures if this was worn, I have yet to see one showing clearly that these BM shirts were worn in Normandy together with the US made HBT sets...

Great item though..