NAS South Weymouth Base Patches

VP_Association

VP_Association

As mentioned previously, I served in Patrol Squadron 92 as a non-acoustic sensor operator (radar, MAD, IFF, ESM, IRDS, etc.) on P-3C Orions flying out of NAS South Weymouth from 1990 - 1996 and out of NAS Brunswick from 1996 - 1999. I collect memorabilia associated with VP-92 and the other reserve patrol squadrons that were based at NAS South Weymouth and other things associated with the units I was personally assigned to over the years. In this thread I will present the various NAS South Weymouth base patches that I managed to accumulate over the years. First up is the earlier style base patch. It is approximately 5.5 inches long and dates from the 1957 - 1977 timeframe. Note, there is no evidence that NAS South Weymouth had its own distinctive base insignia prior to about 1957.

post-16247-1297516070.jpg

VP_Association

Here's a variation of the patch design presented above. This one is about half as big as the one above at 3 inches high.

post-16247-1297516336.jpg

VP_Association

A third variation, 3 and 3/4 inches high, was sewn with metallic thread and has three snap-clips on the back like a modern ribbon rack. It was sold through the Navy Exchange on base and was intended to be worn on a civilian blazer. The purpose, I gather, was to allow reservists to show their affiliation with the base at the golf club or whatever.

post-16247-1297516478.jpg

VP_Association

During 1977 the base changed its insignia to a patriotic Minuteman theme in conjunction with the national bicentennial celebration. The new insignia was designed by AK1 Jay Fitzgerald, who was a "TAR" (full-time reservist) assigned to the base. This patch is 4 inches high.

post-16247-1297516762.jpg

VP_Association

There was a variant of the smaller patch shown above that featured a full-color Minuteman figure. I believe this is the one that they were selling there at the time the base shut down in 1997. I was at the DECOM ceremony and it was a very sad occasion.

post-16247-1297518564.jpg

VP_Association

This last patch was picked up on the base around the time I arrived there in December 1990. It features the insignia for NAS South Weymouth, the two USNR squadrons based there at the time (HSL-74 and VP-92), a patriotic eagle, and Paul Revere and the USS Constitution representing nearby Boston. This patch may have been sold through the CPO's Mess at NAS South Weymouth but I'm not 100% sure (it's been a while).

post-16247-1297518845.jpg

Anybody whose interested in NAS South Weymouth is encouraged to check out the VP Association at http://www.vpassociation.org and the Association of Naval Aviation Patriot Squadron at http://www.anapatriotsquadron.org. These are both groups that are involved with preserving the history and heritage of NAS South Weymouth.

Robswashashore

Nice collection! I especially like the first patch. Imagine my thrill to find one of those Minuteman patches in the dollar patch box the other day at the Mass Army Navy in Hyannis. Talk about a blast from the past. I dated some of the fellows from HSL 74 back in the 80's. Loved those Kamen Sea Sprites.

Robswashashore

Were you at South Weymouth the year they brought in the Catalina for the Air Show? Early to mid '90s I think. My son, who was two at the time, really loved looking at all the aircraft. If memory serves, they weren't able to do a flight demo of the PBY because of the weather, though. Of course they had the Orions there, too -- nice "Side by Side" tribute to two great planes.

We had church friends who lived on base and always had the best seats for the Thunderbird/Blue Angel Demos. But our favorite past time was "getting to touch a real helicopter!"

post-12350-1297522197.jpg

Ah, the memories! I miss NAS South Weymouth. Curses on you, BRAC! :thumbdown:

VP_Association
Were you at South Weymouth the year they brought in the Catalina for the Air Show? Early to mid '90s I think. My son, who was two at the time, really loved looking at all the aircraft. If memory serves, they weren't able to do a flight demo of the PBY because of the weather, though. Of course they had the Orions there, too -- nice "Side by Side" tribute to two great planes.

I believe that I worked all the air shows from 1991 until the end. I was always part of the VP-92 P-3 static display crew. Usually I was either guiding visitors through the aircraft or standing at the bottom of the ladder monitoring the line and answering questions. I don't recall a PBY coming to NAS South Weymouth in my day. I remember a P2V coming up from Pennsylvania for one air show but don't recall a PBY. Perhaps you are thinking of a pair of PBYs that stopped at the base in 1989 on their way to England to re-enact the NC-4 flight?

Robswashashore
I believe that I worked all the air shows from 1991 until the end. I was always part of the VP-92 P-3 static display crew. Usually I was either guiding visitors through the aircraft or standing at the bottom of the ladder monitoring the line and answering questions. I don't recall a PBY coming to NAS South Weymouth in my day. I remember a P2V coming up from Pennsylvania for one air show but don't recall a PBY. Perhaps you are thinking of a pair of PBYs that stopped at the base in 1989 on their way to England to re-enact the NC-4 flight?

Hmm... I am probably getting all the Air Shows mixed up. We never missed one, they were the highlight of our year. All those Navy patrol aircraft -- Catalinas, Neptunes, Orions -- often were second banana to the "sexy" ones like the Harrier and of course the Hornets and Falcons, but they were alway my favorite. My AAF Weather Forecaster Dad used to hitch rides as an observer in a Navy PBY stationed at Bluie West One in Greenland during the War and had lots of memories, including an encounter with that bubble blister that ended with him getting knocked out cold.

My friends stationed there always said that upon receiving their orders their first response was "What and Where the h*** is South Weymouth?!!!"

As a young girl in Quincy in the late 50's, we had a neighbor who was a CDR at Squantum. He must have been one of the last guys there...

Thanks for the memories!

• 11 months later...
VP_Association

Here's a new acquisition. Apparently this is one of the older NAS South Weymouth base patches. It is 4.5 inches tall and unlike the other similar base patches around this size in my collection, which were all embroidered on light blue colored twill, this one here features 100% embroidery:

post-16247-1328359121.jpg

If you're interested in the history of NAS South Weymouth check out the ANA Patriot Squadron and the Shea Field Naval Aviation Historical Museum at http://www.anapatriotsquadron.org .