Phillipine insurrection medal & DSC on ebay

It would be nice to know who got that one. I bet they got it for much less than what it was worth.

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to James W. Willford, Sergeant, U.S. Army, for great coolness and good judgment displayed in commanding a battery when ambushed by natives near Basey, Samar, Philippine Islands, September 1, 1901.

D.S.C. issued in lieu of the certificate of merit and the D.S.M. under the provisions of the act of Congress approved March 5, 1931.

Kurt

What is the other medal in the photo? Frank

Looks like a Philippine Insurrection . I think I can see a palm tree ! The ribbon looks like it is washed out. Could be a PI Congressional too based on the 1901 action.

Kurt

• 2 months later...
IMPERIAL QUEST
The seller told me he was offered $4500 and wanted

to know if i would top that offer. I passed. Erich

Hi all,

Not to sound snide, but I think $4500 is ridiculously high. Am I incorrect in saying this? Maybe there is something I missed, but... think.gif

Hi all,

Not to sound snide, but I think $4500 is ridiculously high. Am I incorrect in saying this? Maybe there is something I missed, but... think.gif

Steve....I believe you are incorrect. An attributed DSC for the Phillipine Insurrection is quite rare even as a Certificate of Merit replacement. Naming and numbering on this piece is official & perfect. With the case, photo and the sword I believe it went for a lot more in a private sale. I'm curious as to why you think it over-valued at $4500? Have you seen other WWI or earlier DSCs change hands for less recently? Wondering........

Regards....bobgee

IMPERIAL QUEST
Steve....I believe you are incorrect. An attributed DSC for the Phillipine Insurrection is quite rare even as a Certificate of Merit replacement. Naming and numbering on this piece is official & perfect. With the case, photo and the sword I believe it went for a lot more in a private sale. I'm curious as to why you think it over-valued at $4500? Have you seen other WWI or earlier DSCs change hands for less recently? Wondering........

Regards....bobgee

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the input. I actually commented the way I did with the hope that someone would further explain (and someone knowledgeable did ;) ) I have not seen any PI campaign comparibles, I guess I just did not realize the level of rarity here. Thanks thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,

Chris / ADMIN

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.