Air force missile

foxtrail35

Could anyone tell me if it is legal to own a un armed falcon missile. The unit is empty on the inside and comes apart in the middle, this thing is in excellent condition. About 7ft tall and red and white from vietnam era.

As long as it was demilled of it's componenets through a legitimate source, then it would be legal to own, barring any weird state laws. As soon as something is demilled and found of no value to the military, you can own it. There is a guy in Pinkard Alabama that has a Nike missile on a rail in front of his store. I used to own a nose cone off a supposed nuclear warhead. Once demilled, it's just fiberglass and aluminum at that point.

Now that is a question we do not see very often.

If it:

Does not have an active propulsion system

Does not have active electronics or guidance

Does not embody any current classified technology

and Cannot be configured to be an active weapon...

I am betting that you would not have a legal issue owning this. We've seen dewat Dragon anti-tank missiles in the hands of collectors, so I imagine this falls in the same category.

Does anyone know what it would be worth?

Depends on condition and someone actually wanting to pay for it. Things are only worth what someone will pay, not what the owner wants. There is no real way to give you a guestimation on this because the only person that can accurately tell you is the person wanting it. If you can post pictures of it, we can take a stab.

My nose cone that I mentioned, I had $100 on it, a guy came up and offered me $5 for it. I refused and ended up in the end putting it in a trade and probably got no more than $5 for it. This stuff is cool to have laying around until the wife gets irritated at it laying around, then it isn't worth monkey spit.

Two things come to mind when I see that. First, that is in really good shape and I think you could actually make a fairly good chunk of change with that as there are a lot of collectors of flight gear and such that wouldn't mind having that in their collection.

Number two, you must have a very loving wife to put up with that thing in the corner of her nice looking house!

Nice piece, really cool, but I wouldn't have a clue what it would really bring. Shipping would be atrocious, both cost and customs wise!

Any interested buyers?

Items may be listed for sale on this Forum after members have contributed 50 posts or more. Please review our rules for sales before placing any addtional threads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The missile is an AIM-4D heat seeker used on the F/TF-102, F-101B/F and CF-101B/F in the interceptor role for which it was designed. The AIM-4D was also used on some F-4s in Viet Nam with very little sucess and gave the missile an undeserved bad reputation. The missile was mis-employed in a dogfight environment that it was never designed for. The D's were modified with improved guidance system cooling and strengthened launch lugs as a result of the Viet Nam experience.

I have a later version, the AIM-4G radar Super Falcon, as part of the HOARS (Highway Onboard Attack Retaliation System) option on my motorhome for dealing with inconsiderate drivers!

post-43694-1306120418.jpg

• 12 years later...
Vahe Demirjian

A Douglas AIR-2 Genie air-to-air rocket was recently found in the garage of a deceased person:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/cold-war-era-air-to-air-rocket-seattle-bellevue-air-2-genie/

Since the police found the Genie in the garage, maybe state laws proscribe private citizens from owning derelict Cold War-era guided missiles and unguided rockets in their home garages.