VN era First time Collector

Private Joker

Private Joker

If someone came to you, after seeing your collection , seeking guidance on how they can obtain a collection like yours. What advice would you give them.

What reference material do you suggest they own in persuit of that goal?

For refferance nothing like studying period photos.Net work with other collectors,learn about the various reproductions and fakes on the market(especially insignias)collect with an open mind as not everything went by the book or what is printed in books sold to collectors as a collecting guide.Also handle as much gear as possible.Also nothing like talking to vets who were there.

RD

My Advice: GO SLOW.......no, even slower than that! Think....glacial pace!

For Reference: all you need is the Internet. Search period photographs of the units you are interested in studying looking for patches "in wear" on a jungle jacket or other clothing. What you'll find is that for every 10 photos of guys wearing uniforms, only 1 or 2 may show a shot/angle with a patch that is clear enough to see the unit patch (this, of course will vary depending on the number and quality of photos provided by the vets). Then find those patches that match. Either find the patches directly from the vets or from a collector you trust is knowledgable. After a year, obtaining anywhere from 1 to 12 patches will be a good pace. Remember, it's not a race! And, think quality over quantity.

Also, follow along on the Forum in the patch section and learn how to search archived threads in that section and the uniform section.

Steve

If they are going to get into the Vietnam era, tell them to do exactly what they did with you... get to know the collectors who are already out there in this field and ask to see their collections.

There is only so much you can tell from photos. As we've all said over and over, the final word comes when you are actually holding the item in your hand.

I have had and seen fakes that could pass very easily for the real thing, and I have seen items I would have sworn were fake that turned out to be good as gold.

As far as fakes, pick up a handful of the fake ones for a reasonable price, and keep them on hand for reference. With the Vietnam era, if you educate yourself on the fakes that are out there, it helps make the real ones stand out.

And yes... references, references, references... including Steve's book!

Capt.Confederacy
If someone came to you, after seeing your collection , seeking guidance on how they can obtain a collection like yours. What advice would you give them.

What reference material do you suggest they own in persuit of that goal?

Be very careful if you're going to be collecting insignia. These have been faked mercilessly so it's very easy to get taken. Places that I've obtained some good deals on Vietnam-era items are flea markets (I just got a "I want you for the U.S. Army" small recruitment poster dated 1975 from one just the other day), military surplus stores (lots have Vietnam-dated gear if you are prepared to dig and get a view weird looks from the clerk), charity stores like Goodwill, gun shows, military shows, and the internet. View a lot of real pieces here and you'll get a good feel for what legit items look like.

My Advice: GO SLOW.......no, even slower than that! Think....glacial pace!

For Reference: all you need is the Internet. Search period photographs of the units you are interested in studying looking for patches "in wear" on a jungle jacket or other clothing. What you'll find is that for every 10 photos of guys wearing uniforms, only 1 or 2 may show a shot/angle with a patch that is clear enough to see the unit patch (this, of course will vary depending on the number and quality of photos provided by the vets). Then find those patches that match. Either find the patches directly from the vets or from a collector you trust is knowledgable. After a year, obtaining anywhere from 1 to 12 patches will be a good pace. Remember, it's not a race! And, think quality over quantity.

Also, follow along on the Forum in the patch section and learn how to search archived threads in that section and the uniform section.

Steve

Steve,

You missed a perfect opportunity to plug your book!

My best advice is to speak to Steve Kirby (River Patrol), Gil Burket (gwb 123), Scott Kraska, and/or Bill Scott. If they can't help you, you'll have to find the old mamasan that made patches for the Saigon PX! These guys have all contributed to my knowledge and I an VERY hard to educate...

Tom K

Steve,

You missed a perfect opportunity to plug your book!

My best advice is to speak to Steve Kirby (River Patrol), Gil Burket (gwb 123), Scott Kraska, and/or Bill Scott. If they can't help you, you'll have to find the old mamasan that made patches for the Saigon PX! These guys have all contributed to my knowledge and I an VERY hard to educate...

Tom K

What? That old rag! She stands on her own now.....I try not to self promote, but thank you for the compliment.

If I had to start collecting over again, I would try to use the Internet more. There is more primary source material on the net for the Vietnam war than any other war, in my opinion. Reference materials (e.g. books) will come along in time as your collecting experience grows......

Vietnam patches are faked mercilessly...but that just makes the challenge and the reward of finding the good stuff more satisfying.

If you go to Militaria shows, like the OVMS Show of Shows coming up at the end of February in Louisville, KY, talk to as many patch collectors as you can and hone your talents with their patches. Scott Kraska (BayState Militaria) and I are always more than happy to talk Vietnam Patch collecting -- I've always had some killer "open floor" discussions with Mike Tucker as well -- in past few years, it may have seemed more like arguments though - it's all in good fun!

Steve

I agree with Steve on this one. Taking your time with collecting is good even for experienced collectors.

With as large as the field of Vietnam patch collecting is, I would advise collectors to specialize in a few areas.

And if you run into someone that knows everything, they don't!