Late 1800's Mills cartridge belt / bandolier

It is not a belt, it is a bandoleer which is why it has the curved shape rather than straight like most belts. I can't find it right now in my references but I know I have seen it somewhere. I believe it also came with "wristlets" short bandoliers that were worn around the wrist. I don't think it was ever adopted. I just remembered where I saw it it is shown in the 1927 Bannerman Catalogue, they show a actual picture of a solider wearing one.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

It is not a belt, it is a bandoleer which is why it has the curved shape rather than straight like most belts. I can't find it right now in my references but I know I have seen it somewhere. I believe it also came with "wristlets" short bandoliers that were worn around the wrist. I don't think it was ever adopted. I just remembered where I saw it it is shown in the 1927 Bannerman Catalogue, they show a actual picture of a solider wearing one.

Hello QED4

It is not curved, it is to take the photograph ;)

regards

It is an 1867 patent, 1887 production British, Mills & Orndorf "Waist Bandolier" (as they were called then). This was used by British Mounted Infantry during the Boer War.

I have seen completed Ebay sale prices of 100-140 Euros and and non-Ebay asking price of 140 Euros. So I'd guess it's worth roughly US $140-200.

Capt Mills was an American officer who invented woven web belts in 1867 and both the US and UK used his patents.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Phil, it's a british item, you cannot pu it on a doughboy uniform. In effect it looks better as waist bandoleer, but those flaps......

Are the flaps the only difference between the shoulder bandolier and the waist bandolier?

This turns out to be a non-US militaria item but because it has the Mills name on it and could easily be confused for a piece of US gear, we will leave this thread up as a reference.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

I remember seeing the '27 Bannerman catalog years ago and I always wondered about the wristlets. I have never seen them any other place and I have to wonder if Bannerman made them up from waist cartidge belts.

G

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 4 years later...

Are the flaps the only difference between the shoulder bandolier and the waist bandolier?

This turns out to be a non-US militaria item but because it has the Mills name on it and could easily be confused for a piece of US gear, we will leave this thread up as a reference.

I HAVE THIS 50 ROUND BELT WITH US NAVY BUTTONS ON THE SNAPS AND A patent date of 1907 SO IT IS NOT STRICTLY BRITISH.

I have this 50 round belt with US Navy buttons on the snaps and a

patent date of 1907 so it is not strictly British.

2007: This thread is so old it could be embalmed.

Anyway, take a good hard look at the photo of the original belt and

you'll see that only has a passing similarity to the belt you have.

That original belt is strictly not American.

For the readers who cannot see your belt, I enclose a photo of mine.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=143880

They differ.

Msn

donation2009.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.