Psychedelic Cookie / Flower Power: 9th Infantry Division patches in Vietnam

Sabrejet

Picture of a Division Tiger Scout wearing a color patch. In front of him is "Shorty" Barret, Captain Hardin's company RTO. I took this c. Sep - Nov '68.

post-14358-1297466871.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just as an FYI...because I seem to see a lot of them...wearing colored Christmas Cookie shoulder patches in-country was an Article 15 offense in the 9th Division and it was enforced with a passion. Ever notice how easy it is to pick out 9th Div pictures during the war? It's pretty rare to find any of guys...in the field or not...w/o ssi. The only pictures I think I have of colored ssi being worn are by tiger scouts (not including tabs.) Leaving country guys wore khakis and wore either a pocket hanger or, more commonly, no insignia at all.

Like the peace symbol in the center of the Octofoil. Very GI in late 68 - 69.

Well, when you're wrong - you're wrong. Apparently in 1968 while the rest of us mortals in the Division were subject to Article 15's for wearing colored Octofoil's the Division Sergeant Major lived by a different set of rules as is proven by this photo that - yes, that's right I took - in Rach Kien c. August 1968. That's Ira Hunt beside him.

Found this in a box of slides I recently unearthed while cleaning out some old boxes and I also just learned that my scanner does slides...so here we go.

I guess this proves - once again - the danger of saying "they never did that" even if you were there. :(

post-14358-1298746541.jpg

Well, when you're wrong - you're wrong. Apparently in 1968 while the rest of us mortals in the Division were subject to Article 15's for wearing colored Octofoil's the Division Sergeant Major lived by a different set of rules as is proven by this photo that - yes, that's right I took - in Rach Kien c. August 1968. That's Ira Hunt beside him.

Found this in a box of slides I recently unearthed while cleaning out some old boxes and I also just learned that my scanner does slides...so here we go.

I guess this proves - once again - the danger of saying "they never did that" even if you were there. :(

Great slide! Like the way the Sgt Major is wearing his ball cap with a "Ranger crush". Also...is the blade on his belt a private purchase one?

Sabrejet

Great slide! Like the way the Sgt Major is wearing his ball cap with a "Ranger crush". Also...is the blade on his belt a private purchase one?

Sabrejet

I have no idea about the knife. I would guess it was his own, but I'd suggest you ask one of the guys from Edged Weapons to take a look, I'm sure they could i.d. it in a second.

My favorite part is that Emerson had some EM Brasso all of the grommets on his web belt. ;)

General Apathy
It's great to see how my initial post has evolved. Fascinating "been there" insights. Thanks to all who've contributed!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, interesting to see how your initial post of a 9th Inf. Div. has ' flowered ' for you, by kindly allowing other members to join in on your post, way to go. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

What was the sling rope used for on the Colonel's web gear, swiss-seat rappel harness or...?

It was called a "Recondo Rope" and was required wearing for all members of 2/39th Infantry "1st Recondo Battalion" which was part of the First Recondo Brigade.

On the rare occasions I ever saw them used it was to pull guys out of the mud, or to ford streams.

Hi Ian, interesting to see how your initial post of a 9th Inf. Div. has ' flowered ' for you, by kindly allowing other members to join in on your post, way to go. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Thanks Ken. It's great when other members add pics from their collections to broaden out the discussion and keep it rolling. The more the merrier, say I!

Ian :thumbsup:

X_redcatcher

Sergeant Major's sure do have there own rules, even when I was in back in the 80's and that is one very nice SOG knife that he has..and note his 2 STARS on the CIB....

Because I served with the 9th postwar I have always had an interest in their VN service. Thanks for the history.

I never did hear the patch called a psychedelic cookie or flower power but we did have a couple of names of our own. I won't put them in this message but if anyone is interested in what they were called post war just drop me a pm.

Robswashashore
I won't put them in this message but if anyone is interested in what they were called post war just drop me a pm.

Something tells me maybe I shouldn't! :think:

Stretching the point here, same ceremony shows Lt. Col. Donald B. Schroeder, 2/39th Bn commander wearing colored 101st eagle and Maj. Gen. Ewell, 9th Div. commander wearing metal octofoil pin usually sported by Div. HQ personnel (including Combat Artists :rolleyes: ) With them is, I'm pretty sure, Lt. Gen. Mildren from USARV.

post-14358-1299022789.jpg

Great color pics ! Later this week I will post a jungle jacket of a NCO of the 9th with a full color WW2 vintage psychedic cookie. Picked up in a flea market some 20 years ago...

post-467-1299409715.jpg

One of my first fleamarket pick ups when I started collecting Vietnam back in 1991. This nice jacket was waiting for me at Pépé Marcel's in Clignancourt. ;)

snake36bravo

1968, Tan An, Delta, Vietnam --- An American 9th Division machine gunner swathed in bullet belts smokes a cigarette. --- Image by © Tim Page/CORBIS

Just sharing.

post-2582-1300002245.jpg

Nice patch.

Heres a nice 9th patch on a uniform I have. The soldier used a pen to add to it.

9thdiv-1.jpg

Another patch that was right for the addition of the peace sign was the 82nd Airborne Division patch.

The attached patches are the first two patches I ever "collected" and I did not even collect back then.

I got these in 1972 when I first arrived at Fort Bragg. I just thought they were "cool".

The subdued version was actually worn on a unform (for about 6 weeks) till the Plt Sgt finally noticed and told the individual

to remove it, and that's when I got them.

post-28488-1300224964.jpg

Another patch that was right for the addition of the peace sign was the 82nd Airborne Division patch.

The attached patches are the first two patches I ever "collected" and I did not even collect back then.

I got these in 1972 when I first arrived at Fort Bragg. I just thought they were "cool".

The subdued version was actually worn on a unform (for about 6 weeks) till the Plt Sgt finally noticed and told the individual

to remove it, and that's when I got them.

Very cool patches! Never seen that variant before.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
Spy vs Spy

Sure is a nice SOG knife on his belt.

Thanks for sharing that photo. I never seen that one before and my number 1 collection area is the Vietnam SOG knife so again thanks :w00t:

Regards// Martin

post-2634-1305560047.jpg

Just as an FYI...because I seem to see a lot of them...wearing colored Christmas Cookie shoulder patches in-country was an Article 15 offense in the 9th Division and it was enforced with a passion. Ever notice how easy it is to pick out 9th Div pictures during the war? It's pretty rare to find any of guys...in the field or not...w/o ssi. The only pictures I think I have of colored ssi being worn are by tiger scouts (not including tabs.) Leaving country guys wore khakis and wore either a pocket hanger or, more commonly, no insignia at all.

Like the peace symbol in the center of the Octofoil. Very GI in late 68 - 69.

There is a photo of the 9th div full color patch being worn and not by any tiger scout. it is in the time/life The vietnam experience. A muli-Volume set . this volume is The army at war, it cover's the hisories of the 1st div/173rd abn bde/4th div/25th div/199th inf bde/11th acr/9th div/and the americal div. In the 9th div chapter, on pages 162 and 163 "it a lage two page photo you see a gruop of men from the div during the Y bridge fighting during the mini-tet offensive of may 1968, one has a regualer fatique shirt with the color patch.

Sure is a nice SOG knife on his belt.

Thanks for sharing that photo. I never seen that one before and my number 1 collection area is the Vietnam SOG knife so again thanks :w00t:

Regards// Martin

No way you would have. I was in with a bunch of slides buried in my cellar... And it was only a short time ago that I figured out how to transfer slides on my scanner. Glad you like it though. Thanks. I've also posted a bunch of other pics in the ephemera section if you're interested.

Dennis