MOTTRAM, CHARLES F

RDMC US MARINE CORPS

WORLD WAR II

DATE OF BIRTH: 02/11/1909

DATE OF DEATH: 01/03/1988

BURIED AT: SECTION 5 SITE 2560

Here is where? Anybody?

Kurt Barickman

Kurt, I went off the info you posted here. Ancestry did provide this and date of entry into the Corps. He did spend most of his life (the one above) in the Riverside area. The only other Mottram in the muster rolls is "Francis R."

Kurt, I went off the info you posted here. Ancestry did provide this and date of entry into the Corps. He did spend most of his life (the one above) in the Riverside area. The only other Mottram in the muster rolls is "Francis R."

RDMC??? could letters been trasposed from MCRD. Marine Corps Recruit Depot?

• 1 year later...
Stinger Gunner USMC
If you are right, it is pretty sad that his family didn't know the difference on his govt. tombstone.

Thanks for all the input,

Kurt Barickman

Just came cross this and I have some insight on the subject. My grandfather was a marine staff sergeant and the head cook at kodiak NAS during WWII. On all of his paperwork including his discharge from the marine corps he is listed as a Chief Cook, a CK 1/c etc. Depending on his rank at the time. I would suggest that this marine in question may have served along side the navy at some point during the war or was discharged from a naval base and they deemed his equivalent specialty rating more appropriate than his marine corps rank. I've also seen marine buglers listed on records in a navy rate structure rather than with their marine corps rank.

Just came cross this and I have some insight on the subject. My grandfather was a marine staff sergeant and the head cook at kodiak NAS during WWII. On all of his paperwork including his discharge from the marine corps he is listed as a Chief Cook, a CK 1/c etc. Depending on his rank at the time. I would suggest that this marine in question may have served along side the navy at some point during the war or was discharged from a naval base and they deemed his equivalent specialty rating more appropriate than his marine corps rank. I've also seen marine buglers listed on records in a navy rate structure rather than with their marine corps rank.

Chief cook was really a USMC enlisted rank in WW2. Until 1946 the mess branch had different titles. Cooks actually did the cooking and Mess Sergeants/Corporals were more administrative/supply. When the war started it was like this:

Chief Cook/Mess Sergeant = Sergeant

Field Cook/Mess Corporal = Corporal

Assistant Cook = PFC

In early 1943 there was a reorganization and the Mess Branch became the Commissary Branch. Mess Sergeant was bumped up to Staff Sergeant (Commissary), and Chief Cook also went up a grade. Mess Corporal was eliminated and the rest were bumped up accordingly:

Staff Sergeant (Commissary)/Chief Cook = Platoon Sergeant

Field Cook = Sergeant

Assistant Cook = Corporal

Around the same time a Steward Branch was created, which, like the Navy's Steward Branch, was racially segregated and served only officers. Their ranks were:

Master Cook/Steward = Master Technical Sergeant

Cook/Steward 1st Class = Technical Sergeant

Cook/Steward 2nd Class = Staff Sergeant

Cook/Steward 3rd Class = Sergeant

Steward's Assistant 1st Class = Corporal

Steward's Assistant 2nd Class = PFC

Steward's Assistant 3rd Class = Private

Musicians also had a different system of rank titles. This can all be fairly confusing, it's understandable that the Corps decided to standardize enlisted grades after the war.

Justin B.

In my experience a lot of this confusion, as has been noted, stems from typist not knowing or understanding what their seeing/reading. Think of all the folks who are trying to figure out how so and so was a captain in the Navy . . . afterall, his rank was CAP, so he must have been a captain, right?