USAF enlisted rank patches

francophile50

francophile50

I was wondering if anyone could inform me as to what the difference between all the differint rank was. Is there a rule of thumb when determining age of enlisted rank patches used? I thought the USAF used more white stripes when they first started in the late fourties with a cut edge then later went to a marrowed edge with a more silver stripe. Am I wrong? Sincerely, Scott

post-5329-1297186114.jpg

post-5329-1297187129.jpg

The duce stripes in fig. 1 appear to be some of those manufacturer test run pieces where any thread color is used to make sure the embroidery machine is hitting everything correctly. Or.... they just could be faded, but I really doubt this. USAF has never offically used any chevrons with a light blue like these shown..

The Tech Sgt. shown is of the new color scheme introduced in 1994 by General McPeak. The stripes when from a silver/grey to white.

• 3 weeks later...

The A1C chevron I think had bad dye on the blue thread for the embroidery and it faded, the merrowed edge is still dark blue. I've seen one like it before.

The A1C chevron I think had bad dye on the blue thread for the embroidery and it faded, the merrowed edge is still dark blue. I've seen one like it before.

I think they simply faded in the sun. Certain thread types will fade while others stay color-fast. Notice the slight difference in color between the two, a good indication of fade.

-Ski