T-Patcher Tank Destroyer Officer IKE

USMCRECON

I was looking for this one when I posted my other Tank Destroyer officer uniforms a while back but couldn't locate it. While throwing stuff away at our storage locker today I came across two wardrobe boxes and when I looked inside, they were full of uniforms; some I'd forgotten I even had. Others in the boxes I knew I had but could not figure out what had happened to (the most maddening of scenarios). One of them was this uniform.

I was in a bit of a rush to take pictures of this one and guess I didn't crop it as well as I could since only one pic would fit on this page. Anyway, here's a front view of the uniform. You can see the chocolate shirt and khaki tie but the chocolate trousers are not visible on the hanger. I got this one off eBay about 10 years ago. It's not in quite as good shape as most of my stuff with some moth nips, most noticably, unfortunately, is on one of the lapels where it's quite visible but I couldn't resist grabbing the T-Patcher anyway.

post-1107-1189981846.jpg

Here's a closer view of the upper front of the uniform. Notice that, contrary to all of the other TD uniforms I have, the BOS insignia are "handed" and both cannons face inboard. I guess I was a total flop in eding the pictures as onlt one will fit this post as well.

There's no name in it. In fact, there's no name lable at all (looks like it never had one). The only lable is the tailor's lable on the outside of the inner breast pocket - Henry's Uniforms, Witchita Kansas.

post-1107-1189982417.jpg

Following up (finally got two pics on one post), here's a closer shot of the ribbons. The Bronze Star ribbon seems to have been coated with some sort of laquer coating while the AM Def and EAME have a thin plastic sheet laid over them. Devices on the EAME are an arrowhead, large silver star, and smaller bronze star. They are mounted on a clutch-back ribbon bar. These are the only ribbons that were with it but there is a slight telltale pair of holes, about the size of a 2-ribbon bar, above the bar that came affixed to it. My guess is that, at some point, a small ribbon bar was removed.

As I said, as you see it is as I got it.

The other pic is a composite shot that shows the patches on both sleeves.

post-1107-1189982858.jpg

post-1107-1189982867.jpg

Bill: Ther collar insignia does not look correct. TD Collar insignia did not have facing apirs. Please send a closeup pic of the backs of the collar insignia. Thanks-Dan

Bill: Ther collar insignia does not look correct. TD Collar insignia did not have facing apirs. Please send a closeup pic of the backs of the collar insignia. Thanks-Dan

Yes..I wondered about that from the first time I saw them as I knew the issue TD BOS were not "handed" and none of my other uniforms have TD BOS' that are.

I had been told that some jewelers made them with the cannons facing each other but I have no way of verifying that. I will remove them and photo the backs as soon as I get a chance but it might be a day or so.

A nice looking uniform you have there. thumbsup.gif

Do you have photos of the other TD uniforms as well?

As Jim said, it would be interesting seeing the backs of the TD collar insignia.

Erwin

A nice looking uniform you have there. thumbsup.gif

Do you have photos of the other TD uniforms as well?

As Jim said, it would be interesting seeing the backs of the TD collar insignia.

Erwin

Hi Erwin. I think I've already posted most of my other TD uniforms (I only have a couple). One was another IKE uniform with a TD patch and brass and the other was a regulation blouse with TD patch/brass and 1st Allied Airborne Army combat patch. I'll try to get to taking a photo of the TD brass from this one later today.

By the way, I looked closer at the ribbons. I had earlier indicated the BSM ribbon was lacquer-coated. When I looked at it again just a couple minutes ago I realized it had the same thin plastic coating as the other ribbons.

post-1107-1190026857.jpg

Per several requests, here are closer pics of the front and back of ther "handed" TD BOS from the IKE jacket TD uniform. A little of the gold finish has worn off the fenders of the half-tracks and it looks like silver underneath; it certainly is not brass.

They may be jeweler-made but the quality of this pair is not quite as good as it is on the TD BOS on the other two uniforms and I am a bit suspicious of them. Any comments are welcome..................

post-1107-1190027442.jpg

Hi Erwin. I think I've already posted most of my other TD uniforms (I only have a couple). One was another IKE uniform with a TD patch and brass and the other was a regulation blouse with TD patch/brass and 1st Allied Airborne Army combat patch. I'll try to get to taking a photo of the TD brass from this one later today.

By the way, I looked closer at the ribbons. I had earlier indicated the BSM ribbon was lacquer-coated. When I looked at it again just a couple minutes ago I realized it had the same thin plastic coating as the other ribbons.

I had mistyped in the above earlier comment indicating two IKE and one full-sized blouse TD uniforms. In fact, they are two full-sized blouses and one IKE (as the picture of them together shows). By the time I realized that mistake When I realized it and went back to correct it, I could no longer edit it.

The Ike jacket could have been of a member who was in a TD unit attached to the 36th Division (could be 636th TD Bn).

I know for example that men of the 704th TD Bn wore the 4th Armored Division patch on the right shoulder and their TD patch on the left. With this, they showed they "belonged" to the 4th AD.

A very nice set of TD-related uniforms you have there. thumbsup.gif

As for the officer collar insignia.

Some pretty good reproductions are on the market, especially these days.

I used to have a pair that were made for a Veteran's Association but they do not look so "rough" and the pins are thinner.

Maybe they were custom made, but that's guess work I think.

Erwin

These appear to be period in my opinion. thumbsup.gif

Per several requests, here are closer pics of the front and back of ther "handed" TD BOS from the IKE jacket TD uniform. A little of the gold finish has worn off the fenders of the half-tracks and it looks like silver underneath; it certainly is not brass.

They may be jeweler-made but the quality of this pair is not quite as good as it is on the TD BOS on the other two uniforms and I am a bit suspicious of them. Any comments are welcome..................

post-1107-1190027442.jpg

Hi Bill,

If you get a minute, can you go outside and shoot them without a flash?

I'm really curious about these. I have a loose pair I've always wondered about. My only TD jacket is an engineer, so no halftrack BOS. :(

PS - Nice jackets!! If they ever need a home..... ;)

Hi Bill,

I'm really curious about these. I have a loose pair I've always wondered about. My only TD jacket is an engineer, so no halftrack BOS. :(

Hi Jim. The flash on my digirtal camera has caused me problems more than once with glare on shiney itema and washing out color on some materials; quite annoying. It's supposed to be sunny and pleasant here today so I will do so a little later this morning.

My specialty for collecting for many years was collar insignia and I've been a member of ASMIC for several years. I had everything from original to repros to fakes in my collection. About 12 years ago I bought a few pairs of TD BOS from Boyer's in Hawaii that were made for vets and they were facing pairs. They were about $7 a pair and you could tell by the bright finish they were not original as I had several examples to compare to. They just did not have the patina or craftsmanship of the originals or those that were made by a jeweler. When I sold my collection I had two extra piece that was not on my display that faced the opposite way (to your right as you look at it. It looks exactly like the piece you've shown with that bright gold tone almost mirror finish on the back. I think you have reproductions. But you do have an outstanding collection of TD Uniforms. The light is not very good but here is the back of one the pieces I still have. If anyone wants them they are $7 for the pair plus postage.

Dan (1SG-1st_Cav)

post-1691-1190036054.jpg

post-1691-1190036064.jpg

Hi Bill,

Hi Jim. Here they are in natural light. Actually, it's in a bit of shade as the bright sunlight acted much like the flash. I left these ar pretty high resolution in order to show the most detail so I think only one will fit on a post so I will neet to make four separate ones to show front and back of both. Here's the front of the left one.

I had to come back and edit this one. I just noticed while looking at the posted pictures; the left and right are not exactly alike (beyond being mirror images, of course). This one has what looks like two rows of forward rivets on the gun shield where the shield on the right one looks like it has two rows of three rivets.

post-1107-1190039812.jpg

Here's the front of the right one. Unfortunately both shots of the right side are just slightly out of focus. I reshot them three times and could get no better than what you see, though I think they are good enough to discern detail.

post-1107-1190039991.jpg

My specialty for collecting for many years was collar insignia and I've been a member of ASMIC for several years. I had everything from original to repros to fakes in my collection. About 12 years ago I bought a few pairs of TD BOS from Boyer's in Hawaii that were made for vets and they were facing pairs. They were about $7 a pair and you could tell by the bright finish they were not original as I had several examples to compare to. They just did not have the patina or craftsmanship of the originals or those that were made by a jeweler. When I sold my collection I had two extra piece that was not on my display that faced the opposite way (to your right as you look at it. It looks exactly like the piece you've shown with that bright gold tone almost mirror finish on the back. I think you have reproductions. But you do have an outstanding collection of TD Uniforms. The light is not very good but here is the back of one the pieces I still have. If anyone wants them they are $7 for the pair plus postage.

Dan (1SG-1st_Cav)

My pair certainly still could be replicas - I don't know enough to make that claim that they are not - but the back of mine do not have that sort of ripple effect that yours appear to have. I'm just not sure what to think about them and definitely appreciate your input as well as others who have and yet may comment on them.

Bill,

I agree! You have some great TD uniforms. The discussion on the collar insignia's is of interest. Thank you for posting the detailed pictures.

You guys got me hooked on TD stuff now. I guess I'll have to get rid of everything and focus mainly on TD and AD items now. Thanks!!!! :rolleyes:

Brent

Bill,

I agree! You have some great TD uniforms. The discussion on the collar insignia's is of interest. Thank you for posting the detailed pictures.

You guys got me hooked on TD stuff now. I guess I'll have to get rid of everything and focus mainly on TD and AD items now. Thanks!!!! :rolleyes:

Brent

BACK!!!! Back I say!!!! wink2.gif

I thought I'd complete my pics of the T-Patcher TD Ike jacket with a couple close ups of the patches.....only because of how they're sewn on. They look hand-sewn on in the often-seen cross-stitching often seen on WW-I and inter-war uniforms, as well as some WW-II insignia. When I liiked closely at the TD patch and saw it was sewn on with green thread, I began to worry a bit, Then I looked at the T-Patch on the other side. It is sewn on with the same cross-stitching and the identicval green thread to match the green border of the patch. I don't know why the tailor didn't change thread to black for the TD patch but, apparently he/she didn't (the green thread looks darker in the pic of the TD patch but, in reality, it's the same color, exactly, as the T-patch thread.

post-1107-1190161803.jpg post-1107-1190161812.jpg