Amber Star Parachute Signal

Jeeperz83

Picked this up at a local show this morning. Haven't seen a live one from WWII before so thought it might be worth picking up. Has anyone seen one like this? I know there are plenty of dummy practice rounds out there but are these less common? It came packed in the original tube.

Already have the M7 launcher and some blanks, it might be a really cool 4th of July!

Thanks in advance.

post-6732-1297031590.jpg

Charlie Flick

Jeeper:

Take a look at this earlier thread for additional information.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry340907

I edited the title of your thread to eliminate the "grenade" reference since this rifle launched parachute signal is not a rifle grenade.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

I have one just like yours. They were around, in quantity (surplus from somewhere) about 25 years ago. IIRC I paid $20, but not more than $25.

BTW strongly advise you NOT to "shoot" it. This is not a civilian firework. It is INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH and it would like continue burning on the ground. In the days of yore I learned this lesson, with a pyrotechnic pistol and red flare, on New Year's Eve. Though cold and very wet outside, it managed to set a TREE on fire (from 3 to 10 feet up from the bottom), followed by the edge of a grassy lawn. Our efforts to solve the problem are not fond memories.

I would also suggest you store in a closed metal caontainer, such as an ammo can.

Jeeper:

Take a look at this earlier thread for additional information.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry340907

I edited the title of your thread to eliminate the "grenade" reference since this rifle launched parachute signal is not a rifle grenade.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thanks Charlie!

Nice looking flare. These are not as common as they used to be but are far from rare. For some reason the Amber Parachute Flares with late 1944 dates are a lot more common then others.

I also don't condone firing these off but one year at a WWII event I had to try it. I fired 2 of these using grenade cartridges and they didn't work. The flare didn't go off and the parachute didn't deploy. BTW, mine are dated Nov 44 with a lot number of MBS-199A. Here's a pic of them after they hit the ground:

post-5830-1297096093.jpg

I also don't condone firing these off but one year at a WWII event I had to try it. I fired 2 of these using grenade cartridges and they didn't work. The flare didn't go off and the parachute didn't deploy. BTW, mine are dated Nov 44 with a lot number of MBS-199A. Here's a pic of them after they hit the ground:

Good to know. Looks like it will be best served on a shelf in the collection rather than a trip to the range.

cllcrtom, I can explain why your flares malfunctioned when fired. I took one of these flares apart awhile back and found out that the flare itself is a cardboard container filled with the pyrotechnic powder. Well these flares swell up due to moisture and jam so tight in the aluminum tube, that it is impossible for them to pop out after being fired. BTW. The action of the flare popping out also pushes out the parachute.

Take a look at the attached image and you can get an idea of what the guts of one of these flares look like.

post-299-1297215802.jpg

Dirt Detective, Yes the cut away is indeed my handiwork. I had to carefully hacksaw the sides of the aluminum tube to get it open. Then I replaced all of the dangereous powders inside with inert substitutes. I am proud of the results.

Bob

Dirt Detective, Yes the cut away is indeed my handiwork. I had to carefully hacksaw the sides of the aluminum tube to get it open. Then I replaced all of the dangereous powders inside with inert substitutes. I am proud of the results.

Bob

looks great!