USAF "FRIDAY" PATCHES

BEAST

One of our members is selling several USAF insignia including "Friday" patches. I had never heard this term before and I asked one of the pilots that I used to serve with to explain. "Those are patches we wear on Friday" he said.

I am hoping this forum could provide me with a more detailed explaination of the "Friday" patch. The pilot who I referred to earlier told me that he had a different name plate for his flight suit that he wore on Fridays. His Friday plate just had his call sign and an image of an F-16.

Any explanation and examples of "Friday" patches would be appreciated!

Thanks!

One of our members is selling several USAF insignia including "Friday" patches. I had never heard this term before and I asked one of the pilots that I used to serve with to explain. "Those are patches we wear on Friday" he said.

I am hoping this forum could provide me with a more detailed explaination of the "Friday" patch. The pilot who I referred to earlier told me that he had a different name plate for his flight suit that he wore on Fridays. His Friday plate just had his call sign and an image of an F-16.

Thanks!

Look on www.usafpatches.com. That should help.

Andrew

Thanks!

They are also sometimes called morale patches. They are usually a variation of the official patches and not always politically correct. A lot of them have the flap removed from the pencil pocket on the sleeve of their flight suit and wear a small patch on the velcro tab that is left. You will see all kinds of stuff....Fun Meters, Beer Meters, etc.

Laury

They are also sometimes called morale patches. They are usually a variation of the official patches and not always politically correct. A lot of them have the flap removed from the pencil pocket on the sleeve of their flight suit and wear a small patch on the velcro tab that is left. You will see all kinds of stuff....Fun Meters, Beer Meters, etc.

Laury

Ahhhhhh, now I understand (I think). Morale patches I have heard of, I just never heard of them refered to as Friday patches. I kept trying to figure out why Friday was different than any other day. Is this an aviator's version of "casual Fridays"?

Ahhhhhh, now I understand (I think). Morale patches I have heard of, I just never heard of them refered to as Friday patches. I kept trying to figure out why Friday was different than any other day. Is this an aviator's version of "casual Fridays"?

Kind of a TGIF thing for pilots. :blink:w00t.gif

I got a Friday patch from the US Navy EA-6B Prowler Squadron when I was in Afghanistan, this was a full size patch that they wore around in the squadron area. I cant take a pic because it's packed away right now, but its the Grateful Dead Skull with the trident shaped lightning bolt (Squadron insignia) inside the skull.

• 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

The small patch worn on the sleeve are called "Pencil patches" as they fit the area the flap that covers the Pen/Pencil pocket was at the little velcro area.

I understand Friday patches to be ones pilots wear that are not really official for normal duty wear and worn say when at the sqdn bar after work or at an after hours party. I have seen them worn by pilots that flew there aircraft in for air shows and saw one being worn at a pizza joint off base during lunch time. Don't know if this is a regulation taboo or not. The 18th Aggressor Sq pilots wore a neat one at the local base air show this past March and the one seen at the pizza place was a 43rd Ftr Sq pilot who was wearing a 43rd TFS on his shoulder. I remember thinking "What the heck...." so I asked him about it and he told me it was their Friday patch. Can't remember if it was on a Friday or not. Many I have seen are in the form of an older design of the sqdn,TFS era,WWII era and so on. Then you have the politicly incorrect ones that range from tame to "How can they get away with THAT!".

Steve