Reproduction D Rations

Member_2114

Mods, not sure if this is the right place to post, but it relates to living history...

Been making a few D Rations for our group and finally found a source of card that reflects the originals. The only difference now being is that they are moulded chocolate and not the WW2 recipe (good for improving morale when we walk in the foosteps!)

I have now waxed the boxes and improved upon my first pattern..

2010351700080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2102257390080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2441575510080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

Great stuff Paul!

I'm actually in the process of making some myself for our group. The mold is what I need to make/acquire then I'll be in business. Is the crate orginal or a reproduction?

Great stuff Paul!

I'm actually in the process of making some myself for our group. The mold is what I need to make/acquire then I'll be in business. Is the crate orginal or a reproduction?

Thanks- the mould was made using a mould kit on ebay. I make 2oz and 4oz D rats. The crate is one of my copies.

Lee- let me know what you want and I'll try and get them ready for COAM if you want. Obviously its easier to wax the boxes once the chocolate is sealed inside, but I guess I could supply empty?

I think some of the LHA and Belgian Friendly 101st can confirm that they are quite a tasty energy boost during the "In the footsteps" trips.

What kit off ebay? Was it specific for the D Ration or did you have to make the master to make the mold from? I use a 9 cell bread pan for mine...

Wayne

Those rations look great!

for anyone who is interested, I made a mold from vacuum formed plastic sheet, the master was made from a block of wood cut to the shape of the original, it works perfectly

What kit off ebay? Was it specific for the D Ration or did you have to make the master to make the mold from? I use a 9 cell bread pan for mine...

Wayne

It was just a mould making kit. The "former" was made from a block of wood, shaped to suit.

Paul,

COuld I get a couple of empty D-Rat boxes from you?

Sure- I am bringing over 50 whole boxes 4oz and 2oz to the 82nd "in the footsteps" march later this month, if you have any contacts Ican pass them onto...know anybody in the Belgian Freindly 101st?

Johan Willaert
Sure- I am bringing over 50 whole boxes 4oz and 2oz to the 82nd "in the footsteps" march later this month, if you have any contacts Ican pass them onto...know anybody in the Belgian Freindly 101st?

Yes, I'll talk to Laurent, Little Greg or Anthony...

Or if you're driving by Jabbeke, let me know... only 7 miles from my place...

Yes, I'll talk to Laurent, Little Greg or Anthony...

Or if you're driving by Jabbeke, let me know... only 7 miles from my place...

Not sure what route we are taking, but if not I'll give whatever you need to Laurent.

• 4 weeks later...
Member_2114
Those look delicious...much better than the WWII ones I am sure. How did you seal then in the plastic?

Sealing machine purchased from Ebad. Cheap as chips.

Sealing machine purchased from Ebad. Cheap as chips.

Aye Paul, I got one too, found it sealed the ends in one line, as opposed to flat serration like originals... Did ye know that the specs originally dictated that the aluminium foil was to make contact wi the whole surface, that is, even inside the grooves, they gave up on that though... ;)

• 4 months later...
Member_2114

As some members of the forum know I produce reproduction (milk chocolate) D rations for our trips overseas.

They are moulded to the correct shape and size, sealed in cellophane and placed in a chipboard card container which is then waxed exactly like the original. These items are great give-aways to Veterans, etc, and, as I choose to eat them, they are a nice pick-me-up to get me through those Ardennes marches.

I make single 4oz bars, sealed 12 in a replica carton, I also make 2oz bars like the original in one of my K rations.

2154338140080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2368656560080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2335105180080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2185136840080671336S600x600Q85.jpg