My more recent Navy finds

JCFalkenbergIII

Lovin' these Navy patches. I operatede with some of these ships, lots of good memories. Sadley, I don't think they are producing ships patches anymore as they have no uniforms to wear them on . Airdale squadrons still have them for the flight jackets, but I think the fleet has dropped them. Sad times.

Steve Hesson

JCFalkenbergIII
Lovin' these Navy patches. I operatede with some of these ships, lots of good memories. Sadley, I don't think they are producing ships patches anymore as they have no uniforms to wear them on . Airdale squadrons still have them for the flight jackets, but I think the fleet has dropped them. Sad times.

Steve Hesson

Thanks Steve. I feel the same about the path the Armed Forces are going in regards to insignia. Ill post some more Navy ones soon. Robert

JC - you have some fantastic patches that stir up a lot of memories. Like Steve, I operated with many of these ships and talked with my counterparts on radio circuits during exercises and deployments.

We deployed with the Long Beach and New Jersey during my first WestPac. This shot was when we were in the Sea of Okhostk, pressing farther north than any US Navy ship had gone since the late 1800s. We were shadowed by a Kara-class cruiser and frigate as well as constant air coverage from Bears and Badgers. Who knows what was under us. This was in '86 when the tensions were still somewhat high between the US/USSR.

626929271_91fc2fb81a_b.jpg

JCFalkenbergIII
JC - you have some fantastic patches that stir up a lot of memories. Like Steve, I operated with many of these ships and talked with my counterparts on radio circuits during exercises and deployments.

We deployed with the Long Beach and New Jersey during my first WestPac. This shot was when we were in the Sea of Okhostk, pressing farther north than any US Navy ship had gone since the late 1800s. We were shadowed by a Kara-class cruiser and frigate as well as constant air coverage from Bears and Badgers. Who knows what was under us. This was in '86 when the tensions were still somewhat high between the US/USSR.

626929271_91fc2fb81a_b.jpg

Thanks 67Rally. Like I have mentioned before I'm not a US Navy collector per se. But I do like to pick them up when I get the chance. It's great that some here can appreciate them. Robert

post-2104-1297946409.jpg

this is my St. Louis Patch. I served aboard her from '81-'84. Went aboard in San Diego and then we transfered home ports to Sasebo Japan. In the 2 years I as aboard in Japan, we were only in port Sasebo 66 days. The rest of the time we were hauling Marines and their cargo around the Pacific. They called "The Lou" the "Cadillac of the Sea" as she rode so well. Very stable. She was my favorite ship, great crew and good times. she Decommed in '90, I really miss her.

Steve Hesson

JCFalkenbergIII
Hello,

It is a pleasure for the eyes to see that all patches of the Navy.

Serge :thumbsup:

My pleasure Serge. I have noticed that the Navy tends to not be as well represented as the other services :lol: . So though I don't really collect them I like to post what I find out there for those with an interest :thumbsup: . Robert

JCFalkenbergIII
post-2104-1297946409.jpg

this is my St. Louis Patch. I served aboard her from '81-'84. Went aboard in San Diego and then we transfered home ports to Sasebo Japan. In the 2 years I as aboard in Japan, we were only in port Sasebo 66 days. The rest of the time we were hauling Marines and their cargo around the Pacific. They called "The Lou" the "Cadillac of the Sea" as she rode so well. Very stable. She was my favorite ship, great crew and good times. she Decommed in '90, I really miss her.

Steve Hesson

Thanks for that Steve :thumbsup: . Its really nice to hear from those who actually served and wore/wear the patches. Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Unrep'd with the Ponch on both of my ships. On the Camden, we spent 5-6 hours at a time alongside her for consolidation unreps...we filled up to capacity with JP5 and DFM...hundreds of thousands of gallons.

JCFalkenbergIII
Unrep'd with the Ponch on both of my ships. On the Camden, we spent 5-6 hours at a time alongside her for consolidation unreps...we filled up to capacity with JP5 and DFM...hundreds of thousands of gallons.

Seems like I keep getting all the ones where my fellow members have experience with :lol: . Robert

Seems like I keep getting all the ones where my fellow members have experience with :lol: . Robert

At last--recognition for the super tanker fleet! :thumbsup: I served on the USS Kawishiwi AO-146 from April 1968 to November 1970. The "Special K" was a sister ship of the Ponch, in the Neosho class of super tankers. And those very long 4-5 hour underway replenishments to carrier groups or consolidations from small oilers were an accident waiting to happen. I especially loved it when the bird farm would need to change course to head into the wind for launch or recovery. Carrier to port, destroyer to starboard, turning 2 degrees at a time. Oh---and transferring 105 octane avgas for the USMC Skyraiders!! Sorry to highjack the post. Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1299419848.jpg

JCFalkenbergIII
At last--recognition for the super tanker fleet! :thumbsup: I served on the USS Kawishiwi AO-146 from April 1968 to November 1970. The "Special K" was a sister ship of the Ponch, in the Neosho class of super tankers. And those very long 4-5 hour underway replenishments to carrier groups or consolidations from small oilers were an accident waiting to happen. I especially loved it when the bird farm would need to change course to head into the wind for launch or recovery. Carrier to port, destroyer to starboard, turning 2 degrees at a time. Oh---and transferring 105 octane avgas for the USMC Skyraiders!! Sorry to highjack the post. Al Hirschler in Dallas.

Like I said before :) . Always glad to get more background . Here is another. Robert

This is a nice variation of the Harpoon patches I've seen. Obviously, the encapsulated harps are submarine-launched only. I like this one...I doubt that this very common.

JCFalkenbergIII
This is a nice variation of the Harpoon patches I've seen. Obviously, the encapsulated harps are submarine-launched only. I like this one...I doubt that this very common.

Thanks. I am in no way that knowledgeable in Navy insignia :lol: . Robert

I was on the R. K. Turner when we crossed the "Line of Death" in 1986 Funny that Lybia is back in the news now. No matter what you read remember the CG20 was the first US Warship to launch a harpoon missle in a time of "war"

We launched 28 minutes before that new fangled Yorktown Class CG hat got all the credit.

I was on the R. K. Turner when we crossed the "Line of Death" in 1986 Funny that Lybia is back in the news now. No matter what you read remember the CG20 was the first US Warship to launch a harpoon missle in a time of "war"

We launched 28 minutes before that new fangled Yorktown Class CG hat got all the credit.

Yeah, gotta love that. I was on the Pensacola during the first Gulf War, and all the shots of amphibious operations such as LCAC launchs and most of the helo ops were shot on P-Cola. However, in the books it is "Ships of the USS Naseau Battle Group". Worse yet, years later I was on the Nashville. They were having a CIvil War in Albania. We evacuated all the US Embasy people, maintained CAP over the capital, dealt with "Rebel Patrol Boats", had 3 Marines wounded on the ground and sat there for a month while the rest of the "Naseau Battle Group" went to Italy. Again, in the books, the photos such as the evacuees and the Cobras launching, are listed as "Ships of the Naseau Battle Group". Yeah, PAO, gotta love it.

Steve Hesson

I don't think the Yorktown Class carried harpoons let alone cruised the coast of Libya in '86. :think: