EGA Assistance

Dirk

Normally I just follow the threads here, but now I am hoping you will be able to help narrow down a date for the EGAs worn in these two images......first Marine officer dates no later then 1913, and was taken in China....this man came in 1903. Any help in dating the collar brass?

marine_062.jpg

Dirk,

I can help you narrow it down perhaps a little by looking at the beautiful campaign hat the second officer is holding. The fore and aft creased hat appears to be of the M1904 style, or a private purchase version of it. If the photo dated to any later than 1911-1912 he would most likely have the later patern campaign hat featuring the "Montana peak" depending on where this particular officer was stationed. I say that because, as I'm sure you know, it sometimes took a bit longer for newly issued uniform items to reach soldiers in the field or in remote duty stations such as China.

Thanks guys.

Darrell: Gary thought maybe NS Myer.....he wanted a detailed scan.....lets see if this helps you guys narrow it down....BTW this is a really great section of the forum! Well done. Dirk

marine_064.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

I tend to concur w/ Gary... based on the positioning of the anchor on the globe. The only other emblem with positioning at this low angle was Gemsco. The only way to know with certainity... the feet & claw characteristics / design.

Darrell: Thanks much! The only thing I know about him is he is DC based and the photo studio began operation in 1905. Note the lack of rank....I've got several other pictures of these junior officers without rank.....I need to see the regs from this period. Dirk