Pre WW1 Officer's Dress EGA

usmcaviator

I was going through my collection of photos, circa 1900-1940, and was able to place the use of this emblem from 1914 through 1940. That is a 26 year service life for this one EGA. Anything of this era collectibility-wise is scarce, but I found it to be a relatively common worn piece for the 1914-1918 era by most young officers. This one pictured was worn by Capt John H. Williamson on his dress white cap. Williamson served from 1917-1920. I have owned three of these pieces over the years, selling one on E-bay a few months ago, pictured here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=4964, and have seen many different all of varying quality and construction. The dates that I have listed are based off of an archive of over 300 original photos of officers (most un-published) that I have collected thoughout the years. This is by no means to say that the emblem was being constructed throughout the later portion of the time-frame, we will probably never know when it stopped being sold or made. However it does give some idea of the time frame used through original picture use.

Semper Fi,

Maj Manifor

post-1-1204415976.jpg

post-1-1204415982.jpg

The first of 3 photos used here depicts Navy Cross and DSC winner 1st Lt Dwight Smith in a photo taken July 1914. This is the earliest photo I have with this style insignia being used.

post-1-1204416002.jpg

The second depicts 1st Lt Fitzhugh Buchanan using this insignia. Buchanan was a former Gunnery Sergeant who served with the 6th MG Bn during WW1. He re-entered service in 1921 as a 1st Lt. The photo is undated but probably dates around the late 20's or whenever he submitted this photo for promotion to Captain. Fitzhugh ended his career as a Major in 1946.

post-1-1204416007.jpg

The third depicts Major Walter A. Wachtler in 1940.

post-1-1204416013.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Just wanted to make sure... I went to work on the anchor and saw the incised gold mark. In my previous post you refer to (emblem that sold on ebay a few weeks ago) I'm quite sure we will someday identify these as an unmarked product of Gemsco. That bird transcended several changes and generations of design spanning as you say nearly four decades. The final group being the one you have shown with the beautiful fret work that adorns the globe. I have long suspected these unmarked emblems were of the traveling salesman's stock, sold to the small military outfitter and smaller more obscure uniform makers. Meanwhile their higher quality hallmarked pieces were likely sold to the premier uniform makers were they would cater to those who had daddy's line of credit in hand...

DSCN0178.jpg

That bird transcended several changes and generations of design spanning as you say nearly four decades. The final group being the one you have shown with the beautiful fret work that adorns the globe.

Darrell,

Yes the anchor is marked "GOLD" as well. I have posted better shots of all of the marks. Based off your statement above ("final group being the one you have shown"), do you think that this EGA I have pictured was produced later than 1920 based off the fret work? If you do, I do not agree with that. Or are you saying, it is a later version, of which was probably produced around 1920? Which in my opinion is a distinct possibility given the provenance of the lot. The hat pictured below is Capt Williamson's model 1912 officer's Bell Crown hat and EGA (the one pictured above). It emerged from the same trunk lot as some of my earlier posted EGAs, and was untouched since 1920. As far as I know, I think the Model 1912 Bell Crown served no later than 1920.

Mike

post-1-1204416151.jpg

post-1-1204416156.jpg

post-1-1204416163.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

No, Yours is of the teens period... the chase work did begin and was being performed before the uniform changes of 1920 and the emblem also has the presence of the molded continents, typical of that period as well. My guess is the jeweler industry terminology changed in the decades following and somewhere along the line when new spec's were outlined for EGA's the word fretting was implemented. I recall that being with the push for standard design in 37... but we all know that did not work, and actually lead to some of the most beautiful cap emblem designs ever. s/f Darrell