Extra pay for medals?

emccomas

HA! Thanks ZSmith! I guess this is better than "substandard".

Stumbled upon this thread while researching a medal! Curious if you ever got the well deserved benefits or if it hit a dead end! I see you have haven't been active since October but I just read the whole thread and found the story very interesting! Hopefully you can update us on what happened?

This thread reminded me of another co-worker who earned the Airman's Medal as a Pararescue Jumper. He was an Airman First Class at the time and earned it with one of his senior team mates after a natural disaster in the Philippines. He crawled through collapsed buildings administering aid to the injured. Some of the actions were pretty gruesome in an effort to recover the dead, but it had to be done. He rarely talks about it, but did say he was more scared receiving the medal from the Air Force Chief Force Staff than how he earned it during the lifesaving efforts.

Later on he became a warrant officer in the Army, then later commissioned in the Air Force Reserve and is now a Lieutenant Colonel. He's a great pilot and very humble as well. He lost his citation through the years and long before electronic records were mandated in our service files. His special order did survive and that's the only reason the Airman's Medal is on his ribbon rack! He did say it was moot point as to whether he would receive an additional 10% upon retirement because he was no longer enlisted.